Is this what taking back control looks like?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We had very little control re EU immigration and the fact the government only believed there were 3.7 million (non Irish) EU citizens living here when well over 5 million have applied for settled status suggests the term 'uncontrolled immigration' was fairly accurate.

Fortunately this is no longer a problem as we have taken back control [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The UK could have done many, many things to limit EU immigration - but, bizarrely, chose not to.

And the Government's own figures are that there were 3.5m EU nationals living in the UK at the time of Brexit - the reason for the higher number of applications is that many EU nationals who had already left the UK wanted to give themselves an "insurance policy" just in case they wanted to live/work in the UK at some stage in the future. Just like I've got myself an Irish passport....it's an insurance policy just in case I want to go and live and work somewhere in the EU in the future. It doesn't mean I'm living in Ireland.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The refugees that are landing on the shores in Kent, of course.

No refugees are likely to be landing on the shores of Kent, unless they are on a ferry and coming through our (controlled) immigration checks like everyone else.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've actually thought of taking one of these tests. I just don't know how accurate they are. If I could be sure I would.

One side of my bio-family is all Celt. Pretty sure the other is all Anglo. But it would be interesting.

I did a couple of years ago. It is quite accurate as it matched me with a couple of distant second and third cousins. One in Canada was related to a great aunt on my father's side, and one on my mother's side via my great grandfather.

I am 67% south east England, 26% Germanic (Saxon) and 7% Norwegian (obviously some rogue Viking somewhere)

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
We had very little control re EU immigration and the fact the government only believed there were 3.7 million (non Irish) EU citizens living here when well over 5 million have applied for settled status suggests the term 'uncontrolled immigration' was fairly accurate.

Fortunately this is no longer a problem as we have taken back control [emoji106]

:lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I did a couple of years ago. It is quite accurate as it matched me with a couple of distant second and third cousins. One in Canada was related to a great aunt on my father's side, and one on my mother's side via my great grandfather.

I am 67% south east England, 26% Germanic (Saxon) and 7% Norwegian (obviously some rogue Viking somewhere)

Can you recommend a suitable test organisation ? Thanks in advance.

Interesting how I have always been convinced of Iberian ancestry. Pictures of me very young suggest a slightly Hispanic look. One bio family member did a test and said 6% came from there. But I have a different mother and the ancestry should come from that side mostly due to an original surname.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This Spanish care worker came here aged 11 months. She went to school here, and worked paying tax and NI. She had difficulties getting Settled Status because she has never held a passport, neither Spanish nor British.
She has now lost her job because she cannot get Settled Status sorted out.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...uk-for-44-years-sacked-over-post-brexit-rules

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Can you recommend a suitable test organisation ? Thanks in advance.

I used 23andme....I'm 99.8% British & Irish, with the strongest influences being County Cork and London (which makes sense, as my father and paternal grandmother were born in London, and my paternal grandfather, plus both maternal grandparents, came from County Cork). The process has matched me with a whole load of second and third cousins, if I choose to get in contact!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A lottery ticket which is a whole £39 a week. For information, Germany has better benefits than Britain.

Which rather begs the question, why when they've arrived in a democratic, civilised Western Eurpean country with better benefits do they still take life-threatening risks to cross the channel? I wonder what it is the French, the Germans, Spanish etc. say or do that makes people say, 'No, you're alright mate, just passing through, heading for the UK' - especially when according to some, England is a vile place chock full of fascists and racists.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Which rather begs the question, why when they've arrived in a democratic, civilised Western Eurpean country with better benefits do they still take life-threatening risks to cross the channel? I wonder what it is the French, the Germans, Spanish etc. say or do that makes people say, 'No, you're alright mate, just passing through, heading for the UK' - especially when according to some, England is a vile place chock full of fascists and racists.

As discussed earlier in the thread, you've put your finger on a significant reason right there :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in relation to the posts I have made ???
Someone posted, "They even want to take the UK to court because they are unhappy with the quality of their accommodation and food , and you replied saying, "That isn't proof. That is merely anecdotal. I want hard data."

I provided some. End of.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Someone posted, "They even want to take the UK to court because they are unhappy with the quality of their accommodation and food , and you replied saying, "That isn't proof. That is merely anecdotal. I want hard data."

I provided some. End of.

I'm afraid you are mistaken (although on closer inspection I can see what those links refer to - I assure you I have qualms about the evidence of sub par accommodation). I asked for evidence of refugees and immigrants going on a viking-esque rape, murder and pillage tour of the UK and was given an anecdote about lorry drivers in Dover.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I doubt its either, but It's a great question. I'd stop in Italy, or worst case France, Germany is very civilised too. I really don't see the appeal of England . . . . its no holiday park

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/truth-about-refugees

From personal experience, having lived in the North of Germany, I'd say that there was very little tolerance to immigration, that said we were part of what was perceived to be an occupying force and it was the 80's when the Turkish migrants had created a few issues of their own locally, so very limited experience. I agree, I'd head to Southern Germany, Southern Italy or France!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As discussed earlier in the thread, you've put your finger on a significant reason right there :wink:

Haven't read the rest of the thread, and won't bother. It's in the Bear Pit now anyway, which is not a place I choose to inhabit. Out of curiousity I looked at the first couple of pages, and found a couple of posts that I felt I wanted to reply to. Probably a bad decision, spur of the moment and all that. I dare say it's got rapidly more accrimonious as it went on, so I'm out. :)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It says a lot about the state of security in The Channel when the best deterrent we have to illegal migration is a jellyfish.

Maybe Priti Patel will start a mass breeding jellyfish programme as a cheaper alternative to a properly staffed Border Fleet?

Don't give the despicable ******** ideas!

NEWSFLASH - we go live to Priti Patel at the Tory department of deceit:
"I can confirm that our latest detterant of pouring sewage, acid and nuclear waste into the Channel is entirely to do with taking back control, and nothing to do with the unrelated payments of £600m, from various petrochemical and energy companies that myself and the cabinet have been paid. That is for an absolutely separate and independent consulting workshop that we ran at the Ritz. Fake news, etc"

'GREAT NEWS PRITI, AND NOW, back to the studio for the latest in our 'Stone an immigrant' campaign.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports