Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Jan 30, 2008
Ok...ok...ok....you've all had your go about Churcill, over and over again. The man was clearly a force for bad and should be erased from our history. We've all had enough of the character assassination now. Its boring, banal, tedious and not very clever.
The longer people keep hiding behind the word ' racist ' the further backwards this country is going. It's all too easy now to throw it around as a cheap insult because it lacks boundaries. Nobody is quite sure of the definition. It is blurred. You can't really prove it and you can't really disprove it but those lacking a certain degree of toleration and moderation keep throwing it around, every minute of every day, like some fanatical cause.
Racism exists in every walk of life, in every country in the world. It has done since the beginning of human civilization. Thats why some areas are in a constant state of conflict. They don't like each other. They believe they are different and better. Sometimes it is borne out of envy, sometimes out of intolerance, sometimes out of religion and sometimes out of history. Racism is the weapon of the coward and accusation of racism is hiding behind cowardice.
If you fail to see the good and bad in people and are not prepared to try and balance them out, then you will live a life of narrow-mindedness, bigotry and frustration. I know I'm wasting my time with a lot on here because this forum is designed to attract the one-eyed zealots and is no place for a centre-ground, moderate like me but I am getting very tired of the complete lack of tolerance in society now and sadly, its getting worse.

thrown about by two bob wokes/sheep
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
His promotion, and use of chemical weapons against Bolsheviks, and Northern Indian tribes, was to preserve our borders? Really?
He was leader during ww2, he was possibly the right man for the job, at the time, but was ditched by the country immediately afterwards. If he was such a great leader, he wouldnt have been.
As for 'self hating'. has there ever been a more stupid phrase?

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes," Winston Churchill.

Didn't the Italians do that in north Africa David ?
Regards
DF

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
There's some proper wrong uns posting on this thread must be trained Marxist
Regards
DF

:lolol::lolol: Has a statue of Goebbels been defaced Das Reich? You must be fuhrer-ious!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You are unaware FACT checking is a crime these days because FACT checking is not a crime these days at all. The cretin has not been charged with FACT checking, so no need to be an imbecile. The cretin has been charged with criminal damage not FACT checking. You are disrespectful to brain cells.

Ps The greatest leader this nation has had the fortune to have in the modern age.

Wonderful piece of music, sends shivers every time, My dad had it played at his funeral, I want it played at mine.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite remarkable is the hypocrisy of those who voted to leave the EU who now claim to respect Churchill. Your vote has helped to tear his groundwork and the sacrifices of an entire generation, asunder. I await your impotent rage. Churchill would have torn Farage to shreds.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite remarkable is the hypocrisy of those who voted to leave the EU who now claim to respect Churchill. Your vote has helped to to tear his work and the sacrifices of an entire generation, asunder. I await your impotent rage. Churchill would have torn Farage to shreds.

Churchill was a great leader of this nation decades before the European Union was even formed you wally. In fact he died decades before The European Union became a legal entity.
What a knob.
Oh dear, forgot again that you have me on ignore........never mind

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wonderful piece of music, sends shivers every time, My dad had it played at his funeral, I want it played at mine.

Was played at my dads funeral as well. A lovely piece of stirring music. Will defiantly have it at mine, not that i will notice......hopefully not too soon either.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Churchill was very much in favour of a United Europe and laid the groundwork, idealogically, for the EU. It's laughable that Brexiteers claim some great respect for the man, when most of them don't know the first thing about the man and his vision for Europe. He would wince at what the UK has become and it's attitude to it's neighbours.

A ‘United States of Europe’
In 1946 Churchill delivered another famous speech, at the University
of Zurich, in which he advocated a ‘United States of Europe’, urging
Europeans to turn their backs on the horrors of the past and look
to the future. He declared that Europe could not afford to drag
forward the hatred and revenge which sprung from the injuries of
the past, and that the first step to recreate the ‘European family’
of justice, mercy and freedom was “to build a kind of United
States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of
toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make
life worth living”.
Council of Europe
With this plea for a United States of Europe, Churchill was
one of the first to advocate European integration to prevent
the atrocities of two world wars from ever happening again,
calling for the creation of a Council of Europe as a first step.
In 1948, in The Hague, 800 delegates from all European
countries met, with Churchill as honorary president, at a grand
Congress of Europe.
This led to the creation of the Council of Europe on 5 May 1949,
the first meeting of which was attended by Churchill himself.
His call to action can be seen as propelling further integration as
later agreed upon during the Messina Conference in 1955, which
led to the Treaty of Rome two years later. It was also Churchill who
would first moot the idea of a ‘European army’ designed to protect
the continent and provide European diplomacy with some muscle.
Furthermore, the European Court of Human Rights was created
in 1959 — a decade after Churchill first championed the idea.
Providing the inspiration to the people of Europe as the
binding factor in the allied fight against Nazism and fascism,
Winston Churchill consequently became a driving force behind
European integration and an active fighter for its cause.

Taken from the Europa Website.

Kinda makes Brexit look rather foolish. He would have despaired of Leave voters.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Churchill was very much in favour of a United Europe and laid the groundwork, idealogically, for the EU. It's laughable that Brexiteers claim some great respect for the man, when most of them don't know the first thing about the man and his vision for Europe. He would wince at what the UK has become and it's attitude to it's neighbours.

A ‘United States of Europe’
In 1946 Churchill delivered another famous speech, at the University
of Zurich, in which he advocated a ‘United States of Europe’, urging
Europeans to turn their backs on the horrors of the past and look
to the future. He declared that Europe could not afford to drag
forward the hatred and revenge which sprung from the injuries of
the past, and that the first step to recreate the ‘European family’
of justice, mercy and freedom was “to build a kind of United
States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of
toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make
life worth living”.
Council of Europe
With this plea for a United States of Europe, Churchill was
one of the first to advocate European integration to prevent
the atrocities of two world wars from ever happening again,
calling for the creation of a Council of Europe as a first step.
In 1948, in The Hague, 800 delegates from all European
countries met, with Churchill as honorary president, at a grand
Congress of Europe.
This led to the creation of the Council of Europe on 5 May 1949,
the first meeting of which was attended by Churchill himself.
His call to action can be seen as propelling further integration as
later agreed upon during the Messina Conference in 1955, which
led to the Treaty of Rome two years later. It was also Churchill who
would first moot the idea of a ‘European army’ designed to protect
the continent and provide European diplomacy with some muscle.
Furthermore, the European Court of Human Rights was created
in 1959 — a decade after Churchill first championed the idea.
Providing the inspiration to the people of Europe as the
binding factor in the allied fight against Nazism and fascism,
Winston Churchill consequently became a driving force behind
European integration and an active fighter for its cause.

Taken from the Europa Website.

Kinda makes Brexit look rather foolish. He would have despaired of Leave voters.

Its always best in these occasions to actually quote some text of a speech you are referencing for context rather than what a website is telling you to think.

“If we are to form the United States of Europe or whatever name or form it may take, we must begin now.
In these present days we dwell strangely and precariously under the shield and protection of the atomic bomb. The atomic bomb is still only in the hands of a State and nation which we know will never use it except in the cause of right and freedom. But it may well be that in a few years this awful agency of destruction will be widespread and the catastrophe following from its use by several warring nations will not only bring to an end all that we call civilisation, but may possibly disintegrate the globe itself.
I must now sum up the propositions which are before you.
Our constant aim must be to build and fortify the strength of the United Nations Organisation.
Under and within that world concept, we must re-create the European family in a regional structure called, it may be, the United States of Europe.
The first step is to form a Council of Europe.
If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can.
The salvation of the common people of every race and of every land from war or servitude must be established on solid foundations and must be guarded by the readiness of all men and women to die rather than submit to tyranny.
In all this urgent work, France and Germany must take the lead together.
Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America, and I trust Soviet Russia - for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live and shine”

Mr Winston Churchill Zurich I9th September 1946.

when you factor in what he said previously that was published

“We are bound to further every honest and practical step which the nations of Europe may make to reduce the barriers which divide them and to nourish their common interests and their common welfare. We rejoice at every diminution of the internal tariffs and the martial armaments of Europe. We see nothing but good and hope in a richer, freer, more contented European commonalty. But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed. And should European statesmen address us in the words which were used of old, ‘Wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or the captain of the host?’, we should reply, with the Shunammite woman: ‘I dwell among mine own people.'”
Winston Churchill

Its quite clear he wished Britain to be friends and sponsors of a United Europe along with America, Russia and our own commonwealth but at a distance on the outside looking in and not compromised and absorbed by any form a united Europe might take.
If your take is Churchill was pro the formation of and participation in membership of the current European Union, when he died decades before the European Union was even formed then you need your head read.

Educate yourself, stop believing what you are simply told to believe.
But since you have me on ignore you will remain ignorant.......your loss, but worth a try

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Glad you agree. We should add the fact that he was a racist to his statues.

I dont agree with you you complete plank, graffiti and criminal damage on any statue is not just FACT checking that somehow absolves the wannker doing it of criminal damage.
If you want to scrawl racist all over a public statue and cause criminal damage, knock yourself out.
Dont whine like a baby when you rightly get arrested for it though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Interesting. When I was writing my Masters thesis on the reasons for the outbreak of war in 1939 it became apparent that actually Churchill was desperately reckless at times. He'd have happily taken us to war in 1937 or 1938, at a time when the UK was no more prepared to take on and beat Germany than Brighton & Hove Albion are to take on Bayern Munich.

oh we , like i said , we should have just let the Germans in..he didn't cover himself in glory during the boer war either.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A winery? Careful now. You should fire up your tor browser, surf the dark web and check it's (non existent) basement isn't be used by Hilary Clinton for her paedophile ring. Best you pack a semi-automatic weapon or something, you utter plum.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

norbert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here