Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hemed any good?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No, it's what you're seeing. Most people disagree. Staristics disagree. I disagree. To say he's no better than O'Grady or League One standard is an absolute disgrace and the biggest misjudgment of character I've seen on here for a long time. You're now comparing him to Baldock, another completely different type of player. Make your mind up FFS!

I think therein lies the problem for most people. They don't know what he brings to the team. With Baldock, whether you think he is as good as Hemed or not (and it is totally subjective), he brings specific qualities to the team i.e. pace in behind, flair, movement. With O'Grady, whether you think he's worse than Hemed or not (and again, it is totally subjective), he brought specific qualities to the team i.e. an ability in the air which I'm yet to see from Hemed, good link up play and an excellent first touch that meant our other attackers could look for him and knew the ball would stick. Whether you think CMS is/was as good as Hemed or not (and again, it is totally subjective), he brought specific qualities to the team i.e. pace and movement. All three undoubtedly have weaknesses, but all three also have those strengths which can be integrated into a team.

Compare that to Hemed and I'm still not sure what he brings to the side now that the goals have dried up. He works hard(ish) but I think the other 3 worked as hard as he does currently. His hold up play is not very good, he doesn't ever appear to win much in the air, he lacks mobility, he lacks flair, he lacks pace, and if you watch his movement, it is basically non-existent (and I have watched the guy very closely in games because I really am trying so hard to like him, but these are things I've seen with my own eyes and they're not generally positives).

Which then brings us back to the statistics which you're using to back up your argument - he's bagged just a tad better than 1 in 4 (that's including penalties - and his strike rate is getting worse as the season progresses). That just isn't enough to hold him up as a potential striking solution for us at the moment (nor do the other 3 aforementioned strikers have a good strike rate over the last two years when playing for us, albeit Baldock played a large portion of that wide left). So the question then becomes, if his strike rate isn't that great (albeit it is slightly better than the other players'), does he bring enough to the team outside of the few goals he gets to justify his inclusion? Whether you like it or not, it's a reasonable question to ask and I can see exactly why a lot of people think he doesn't justify his position at the moment. I can also see why people are comparing him to those three (very different) players - they're simply unsure what he brings to the team now that the goals have dried up.

As I said in my previous post, it may be a confidence issue with him. Maybe he'll go on a little run and all of a sudden he'll become a much more rounded, effective player and it'll be obvious where he fits in, but at the moment it simply isn't obvious. Maybe Hughton needs to work on building his confidence back up, maybe he needs to rejig the team to create better chances for him or to play to (whatever) his strengths (are). But at the moment, it simply isn't working with him up top and the last few home games (and games on TV) we've looked like we're playing with 10 men because he just isn't adding anything to the side. Hopefully Hughton will have solutions up his sleeve to either Hemed's confidence or his goal issue.

Feb 14, 2010
Possibly one of the most one dimensional & black and white quotes ever spouted out in football. Especially the modern game. If you believe that is all a striker should do, you have very strange views. Utter tosh quote.

Common sense to many often seems one dimentional and the problem with common sense is that it is not very common. A striker who doesnt strike goals is like a pub with no beer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how many properly 'great' strikers (not just second division hoofers) have flourished on their own?

I'd imagine there are plenty of other strikers who are very keen to play with Tomer.
Like many (if not all) footballers I think he plays on his confidence, but sadly, for him, he's at the wrong club for that to be proven correct.

Feb 14, 2010
I wonder how many properly 'great' strikers (not just second division hoofers) have flourished on their own?

I'd imagine there are plenty of other strikers who are very keen to play with Tomer.
Like many (if not all) footballers I think he plays on his confidence, but sadly, for him, he's at the wrong club for that to be proven correct.

No excuses. He plays in front of one of the best midfields in the division. A goal scorer would be scoring goals. Hes just not a goal scorer and he either needs to change his positioning and look up before he shoots to calmly place it in the net instead of whacking it anywhere or we have to find someone else.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No excuses. He plays in front of one of the best midfields in the division. A goal scorer would be scoring goals. Hes just not a goal scorer and he either needs to change his positioning and look up before he shoots to calmly place it in the net instead of whacking it anywhere or we have to find someone else.

Many strikers coming to England for the first time struggle in their first season. He's also played with a midfield, and strike partnership that has constantly had to change through injury. We could do with bringing in a goal scorer if we can, but I think there is more to come from Hemed, and I'd hate to be the side that lets him go and he gets 20 goals for someone else next season.

Feb 14, 2010
Many strikers coming to England for the first time struggle in their first season. He's also played with a midfield, and strike partnership that has constantly had to change through injury. We could do with bringing in a goal scorer if we can, but I think there is more to come from Hemed, and I'd hate to be the side that lets him go and he gets 20 goals for someone else next season.

Like who? Goal scorers score goals. Hemed has the advantage of a top 4 side. Murray scored goals when with us and that was a disaster that we all predicted (well most except a few on nsc and those paid to coach at the albion it seems). Hemed has a touch of the cms about him. Its up to himbut excuses wont do, only goals count for strikers. No amount of trying to be charitable changes that simple bottom line.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Like who? Goal scorers score goals. Hemed has the advantage of a top 4 side. Murray scored goals when with us and that was a disaster that we all predicted (well most except a few on nsc and those paid to coach at the albion it seems). Hemed has a touch of the cms about him. Its up to himbut excuses wont do, only goals count for strikers. No amount of trying to be charitable changes that simple bottom line.

Strikers take time to settle, if you need evidence of that then I'm not really sure where to start.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like who? Goal scorers score goals. Hemed has the advantage of a top 4 side. Murray scored goals when with us and that was a disaster that we all predicted (well most except a few on nsc and those paid to coach at the albion it seems). .

Murray scored:-

8 - half season
14 (4 v Wycombe),
&

Remind me how many has Hemed scored this season.

If only he was good enough to be on course to score double figures.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's incredible that there's a section of 'fans' who have to get on the back of at least one player a season.

The first I can remember, and I'm damn sure there were plenty before him, is Kevin Bremner 87-90.

Approaching 30 years of annual self fulfilled prophecy.
It's absolutely fookin ridiculous:-

'I know I'll boo this player into being great' - morons, the lot of them.

No, the morons are those who cannot believe that most teams have a weak link somewhere. Our weak link is not particularly Hemed, but is the fact we do not have a free scoring striker. Baldock when fit does not score enough, BZ has a goal to minutes played ratio that ain't bad but he is never going to be playing 90 mins week in, week out, Wilson looks very promising but he is neither ours or will be here in January I fear. Which leaves Tomer, is he scoring enough? Not at the moment he isn't, maybe a few sub appearances as the opposition tire might help him.

But to call those who ask the question 'morons' is just, well, moronic.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, the morons are those who cannot believe that most teams have a weak link somewhere. Our weak link is not particularly Hemed, but is the fact we do not have a free scoring striker. Baldock when fit does not score enough, BZ has a goal to minutes played ratio that ain't bad but he is never going to be playing 90 mins week in, week out, Wilson looks very promising but he is neither ours or will be here in January I fear. Which leaves Tomer, is he scoring enough? Not at the moment he isn't, maybe a few sub appearances as the opposition tire might help him.

But to call those who ask the question 'morons' is just, well, moronic.

I think I'm right in saying M'Boro don't have a free scoring striker either.

Also, quite clearly SB isn't referring to those asking the question, which you must realise if you read his post properly, but those who might boo i.e. completely writing the player off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think his recent failure to score has to do with the fact that like in the past we are missing the brain in midfield to provide the chances for him. March is injured Murphy has bone backwards since Bong got injured so we are not providing the ammunition. Perhaps Richie Towel will be the answr for a midfield dynamo that can release Kayal and Stephens.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think his recent failure to score has to do with the fact that like in the past we are missing the brain in midfield to provide the chances for him. March is injured Murphy has bone backwards since Bong got injured so we are not providing the ammunition. Perhaps Richie Towel will be the answr for a midfield dynamo that can release Kayal and Stephens.

Possibly this in part. If you look at Tomer's goals before he joined us, quite a number were with his head (like the superb header against Charlton). Or otherwise meeting crosses. Fact is until RVP joined us our crossing was dire - both from open play and set pieces.

Interesting that on Ipswich forum, Hemed is viewed as the player to watch!

One To Watch – Tomer Hemed

Brighton’s stand-out performer in the return fixture was Tomer Hemed, who scored the clincher that day. He has taken to the Championship like a duck to water, and has been a big part of the club’s success in 2015/16.

The Israeli striker started his professional career at Maccabi Haifa in his homeland. After progressing to the First Team, Hemed continued his footballing education with a number of loan spells. On returning to his parent club, he helped Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli title in 2010/11 with his 18 strikes. His goalscoring exploits attracted attention from Spain’s La Liga, and RCD Mallorca moved to sign Hemed that summer. He was not able to quite reach the same heights in his three years in the Balearics, being a part of the side that was relegated in 2012/13 and then suffering an injury-disrupted campaign in the Segunda División. Almería had still seen enough to take the striker back to the Spanish top tier, where he spent 2014/15. Hemed again top-scored for his club, with 9 goals in all competitions, but he made it an unwanted double as the Andalusian side were in turn relegated. Christ Hughton brought him to the Amex in June and the 28-year-old got off the mark on just his second league outing, with a 93rd-minute winner from the penalty spot against Fulham. He was on target again at Portman Road later that month, of course, and has struck up a good understanding with fellow attackers Kazenga Lua Lua and James Wilson, while chipping in with 6 goals.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting that on Ipswich forum, Hemed is viewed as the player to watch!

One To Watch – Tomer Hemed

Brighton’s stand-out performer in the return fixture was Tomer Hemed, who scored the clincher that day. He has taken to the Championship like a duck to water, and has been a big part of the club’s success in 2015/16.

The Israeli striker started his professional career at Maccabi Haifa in his homeland. After progressing to the First Team, Hemed continued his footballing education with a number of loan spells. On returning to his parent club, he helped Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli title in 2010/11 with his 18 strikes. His goalscoring exploits attracted attention from Spain’s La Liga, and RCD Mallorca moved to sign Hemed that summer. He was not able to quite reach the same heights in his three years in the Balearics, being a part of the side that was relegated in 2012/13 and then suffering an injury-disrupted campaign in the Segunda División. Almería had still seen enough to take the striker back to the Spanish top tier, where he spent 2014/15. Hemed again top-scored for his club, with 9 goals in all competitions, but he made it an unwanted double as the Andalusian side were in turn relegated. Christ Hughton brought him to the Amex in June and the 28-year-old got off the mark on just his second league outing, with a 93rd-minute winner from the penalty spot against Fulham. He was on target again at Portman Road later that month, of course, and has struck up a good understanding with fellow attackers Kazenga Lua Lua and James Wilson, while chipping in with 6 goals.

Happy to use my own judgement based on seeing him play numerous times, rather than someone who has seen him once.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have yet to see him as anything but a hard working very average Championship striker who seldom scores.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here