Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Burke the stumbling block?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A lot of people know people who know certain members of the squad. It would be very wrong to name names. But why else would you think the squad has been culled so drastically..I feel a little bit sorry for Garcia in some ways, you don't think all the events of last summer and all the bad feeling Poyet left behind wouldn't have knock on effects for quite some time after???

So, you don't have any facts then, just more conjecture, and supposition, based on the FACT, we are moving on some of our more injury prone, and/or expensive ageing players out. How did we ever acheive sixtth place, if it was civil war in the dressing room.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What do you think we were last season??? Bridcutt, Barnes, Orlandi, Lopez, Pig, Buckley and Ulloa.....All Poyet's boys, don't be surprised if none of them are here come August. It was a very unsettled dressing room last season indeed.

But that was my point, there was too much of an attachment and there came a line when the players were his and not the clubs, and the club pays wages to the managers mates. It becomes an imbalance of power.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So, you don't have any facts then, just more conjecture, and supposition, based on the FACT, we are moving on some of our more injury prone, and/or expensive ageing players out. How did we ever acheive sixtth place, if it was civil war in the dressing room.

We achieved 6th place with a lot of good fortune, coupled with the nucleus squad that should have gone up automatically the year before......and what is a fact??? If your partner tells you they had a row with someone in the street. Is that a fact, or do you believe what they have told you and because you trust them???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know someone quite closely linked to the Poyet family, who has told me the full story of Gus's sacking. The real reason he was sacked has not, as far as I know been mentioned on here, I have promised that I would not post it on here, and I don't know for certain what he told me was the truth, however, the fact Charlie, was at first up on gross mis-conduct, and then, that was then reversed seems to bear out his information. The underlying problem was a clash of personalities, but not the ones alluded to on here.
Again, i don't know how true any of it is, much like everybody else on here

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's not what Tony Bloom said. Oscar gave them a list of players that he wanted, none of whom were available or affordable.

I actually thought Blooms comment was a little patronising, and it came over to me as follow on comment from the January transfer failure question, and to put it back on Oscar when Bloom was asked about his input.

Whichever way we look at it we failed to get his targets, but we failed to get our targets as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not with the manager hunt, as that is so critical, I would suspect TB and PB are actively and heavily involved.

But with players, yes, in my opinion. I would prefer the new manager and PB, with player scouts, to be the sole parties involved with player recruitment. Burke adds yet another tier/person to the whole procedure. It may be designed to prevents errors like the fee Poyet got us stung for on CMS, but these arrangements cause delays when competing with other clubs for players & is yet another voice in the recruitment committee ... one too many.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We achieved 6th place with a lot of good fortune, coupled with the nucleus squad that should have gone up automatically the year before......and what is a fact??? If your partner tells you they had a row with someone in the street. Is that a fact, or do you believe what they have told you and because you trust them???

No, its a fact if it actually happened in real life, not in someones head, made up to try to prove a point, and justify some kind of hidden agenda

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I know someone quite closely linked to the Poyet family, who has told me the full story of Gus's sacking. The real reason he was sacked has not, as far as I know been mentioned on here, I have promised that I would not post it on here, and I don't know for certain what he told me was the truth, however, the fact Charlie, was at first up on gross mis-conduct, and then, that was then reversed seems to bear out his information. The underlying problem was a clash of personalities, but not the ones alluded to on here.

There are personality clashes throughout life and when it happens people move on.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Sticking to Burke 's capabilities, wasn't it him who sourced Ulloa for £2m. A player who now, just 18 months on is valued at around £7m. I appreciate he has bought some duffers in as well but he hasn't got it all wrong has he?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

So let's get this right. You won't reveal what someone has told you. But when someone else suggests something that they have been told, you just dismiss it...Fair enough.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

This isnt going back to the half time incident (not away dressing room) rumour is it?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not with the manager hunt, as that is so critical, I would suspect TB and PB are actively and heavily involved.

But with players, yes, in my opinion. I would prefer the new manager and PB, with player scouts, to be the sole parties involved with player recruitment. Burke adds yet another tier/person to the whole procedure. It may be designed to prevents errors like the fee Poyet got us stung for on CMS, but these arrangements cause delays when competing with other clubs for players & is yet another voice in the recruitment committee ... one too many.

I would like the manager/head coach to identify players he wants, TB to say whether we can afford them and then DB and PB to get the deal done if possible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As a point of order here, I think its fair to say that whoever we end up appointing will be sold to us as our 'first choice'.

Lest we forget the Jim Gannon debacle!

I'm not actually blaming anyone. It is a simple fact the we failed in the transfer market and it was all about decisions.

From what I can make out Grabban was a bargain at the £1m price tag and we could have still sold him in the summer for the £3m price tag he has now.

And I suspect him and Conway would have made a massive difference if they played Derby instead of the injured Buckley and can't last a whole game Orlandi. I'm not saying we would have beat Derby with what happened to Upson and Greer, but we could have been more threatening. If Conway and Grabban were with us we may have got a top six spot before the end of the season and afforded both Upson and Greer a few games rest.

Bloom didn't want to take a punt in January and that is fair enough, it's his club, but it was a decision that didn't help the end of season run, just made it harder than what it could have been.

It's not just about fees though is it. The club will have a wage structure and it appears Bournemouth were willing to pay Grabban a lot more than us, possibly with a signing on fee for the new contract or something similar.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh your back.....hello Commander, do you acknowledge I said Garcia wouldn't be here at the start of next season??? Something you were very happy to remind me of when we got into the play offs......and I didn't ever say any managers had passed us by, well none we would ever know about....I said a lot of top managers would never work under such a structure, where there is a dof......Whether that is right or wrong is subject for debate....I'm firmly in the camp a manger should manage the club(playing side) but then that much is obvious.

What do you mean I'm back?

And yes of course I acknowledge you said that, along with all your other predictions that never came true. Just like your Poyet one that you made every season until it came true and then claimed you were right all along. Well done on this one though.

Do you think you'll finally get your good old fashioned get it forward to the big lad English manager this time? I don't think you will, I think Bloom will stick with the plan, but I could be wrong. I hope not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Garcia was frustrated,perhaps because he did not know the British game and did not have the contacts within it. He had to rely on Burke and possibly Jones to find him the players. A more savvy British manager ,would work with Burke in a more equal way,finding and having his own thoughts on player recruitment.
That's not what Tony Bloom said. Oscar gave them a list of players that he wanted, none of whom were available or affordable.

it occurs to me that these two points are not mutually exclusive: with a limited knowledge of players, prehaps Oscar wanted "names" who were over budget or in contracts. eitherway, the scouting for the past year have been pretty shite excpet for Lingard, hasnt it? i have little faith that Burke will deliver anything anymore and even if he stays in a capacity to deal with negotiations, we need a manager with forthright ideas and players in mind who the club will back. otherwise its going to be a long time in this division.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So let's get this right. You won't reveal what someone has told you. But when someone else suggests something that they have been told, you just dismiss it...Fair enough.

I trust my source, but, I have no way of knowing if he has been told the truth, so would not post it on here as the gospel truth. Your source, I don't know, but as I sais earlier an awful lot of things that are seen as NSC truths, turn out to be bollox

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
it occurs to me that these two points are not mutually exclusive: with a limited knowledge of players Oscar wanted "names" who were over budget or in contracts. eitherway, the scouting for the past year have been pretty shite excpet for Lingard, hasnt it?

And look whats happened to the chief scout.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

And yes of course I acknowledge you said that, along with all your other predictions that never came true. Just like your Poyet one that you made every season until it came true and then claimed you were right all along. Well done on this one though.

Do you think you'll finally get your good old fashioned get it forward to the big lad English manager this time? I don't think you will, I think Bloom will stick with the plan, but I could be wrong. I hope not.

I think the new man will be British, yes I most certainly do. But we will see, shouldn't be long now I wouldn't have thought. I most certainly don't think it will be Clarke or Zola though.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

These list of predictions you talk about.....I said Bridcutt wouldn't play for us again, he played a game to prove his fitness so a deal could be done. After that I seem to remember he wasn't in the right frame of mind. I said Vicente was a waste of money and wouldn't play 10(was it games), oh I was way out with that one. I said Poyet was a total cock mmmmmm, enough said about that one I think and I said in MARCH i think it was that Garcia would not be here at the start of next season no matter what...Yep your right, I am always way off the mark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here