Is Burke the stumbling block?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I understand that Burke is (one of) the stumbling blocks for Kev the Rev. He isn't for me. He -- or his role -- might be for some of the candidates; if so, they won't bite, and someone else will.
I'd imagine that the primary impediment at present are vacancies elsewhere (Southampton, West Brom primarily). We might have to wait until those posts are filled. When they are, I'd be surprised if we're waiting much longer. There's also every chance that we might have a manager before that.

Agreed. Saints, West Brom , Celtic and now Leeds jobs all being vacant, clouds the issue somewhat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Conway, on the other hand, I am led to believe, was handed to Osacr on a plate, and he didn't want him. At least to start with, he didn't. He then changed his mind, once it was too late, and the player was commited to Blackburn.

Yep

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But you are making your own mind up about who to 'blame' for those players ultimately not signing.

Grabban seemingly was entirely financial. Bournemouth offered him more than we felt he was worth. Do you honestly want us to pay more than we think a player is worth, just because somebody else wants to?

Conway, on the other hand, I am led to believe, was handed to Osacr on a plate, and he didn't want him. At least to start with, he didn't. He then changed his mind, once it was too late, and the player was commited to Blackburn.

I'm not actually blaming anyone. It is a simple fact the we failed in the transfer market and it was all about decisions.

From what I can make out Grabban was a bargain at the £1m price tag and we could have still sold him in the summer for the £3m price tag he has now.

And I suspect him and Conway would have made a massive difference if they played Derby instead of the injured Buckley and can't last a whole game Orlandi. I'm not saying we would have beat Derby with what happened to Upson and Greer, but we could have been more threatening. If Conway and Grabban were with us we may have got a top six spot before the end of the season and afforded both Upson and Greer a few games rest.

Bloom didn't want to take a punt in January and that is fair enough, it's his club, but it was a decision that didn't help the end of season run, just made it harder than what it could have been.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is David Burke's remit for targeting players and his hands on involvement in player recruitment, a main stumbling block on negotiations with perspective managers??? It would certainly put a lot of top managers off.

Do you mean that you think it could put off a lot of managers, or do you know that it does?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Agreed. Saints, West Brom , Celtic and now Leeds jobs all being vacant, clouds the issue somewhat.

If the club really have ambition to be a prem club, you could argue that the Brighton job is a better vacancy long term, then all of those mentioned.....Celtic play in a pub league, yes they are in the champs league, but big deal, they are never going to win in. What a terrible division to manage in that must be. Leeds, well yes they are a massive club but there must be big question marks over the new owners. W.B.A, the best you can do is avoid relegation and once Saints have sold all the family silver, the same can be said for them....Managers should be falling over themselves for this job.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
While top managers pass you by because of your structure??? Maybe a change in structure is what's needed along with a new manager.

Which top managers have passed us by due to our structure?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do you mean that you think it could put off a lot of managers, or do you know that it does?

Both, I think it would put managers off and I have heard managers say publicly they would never work under circumstances where players were signed for them.....Of course desperate yes men managers are two a penny, that's why they are no good. Because they are just nodding dogs.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Both, I think it would put managers off and I have heard managers say publicly they would never work under circumstances where players were signed for them.....Of course desperate yes men managers are two a penny, that's why they are no good. Because they are just nodding dogs.

Too true, a manager confident in his ability sets the terms he will work under as he knows he will get a job he wants, a manager desperate for a job will take any job and any conditions and will end up sacked with yet another pay off

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I love the way something starrts out as a rumour on NSC, and when it has been mentioned in a few threads, it becomes gospel truth. I read this website with the opinion, that 95% of posters, including myself, know diddly squat about the inner workings of the club, and its various working relationships between staff members. The most reliable rumours that I have heard over the years haven't even appeared on here

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Which top managers have passed us by due to our structure?

Oh your back.....hello Commander, do you acknowledge I said Garcia wouldn't be here at the start of next season??? Something you were very happy to remind me of when we got into the play offs......and I didn't ever say any managers had passed us by, well none we would ever know about....I said a lot of top managers would never work under such a structure, where there is a dof......Whether that is right or wrong is subject for debate....I'm firmly in the camp a manger should manage the club(playing side) but then that much is obvious.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Oh your back.....hello Commander, do you acknowledge I said Garcia wouldn't be here at the start of next season??? Something you were very happy to remind me of when we got into the play offs......and I didn't ever say any managers had passed us by, well none we would ever know about....I said a lot of top managers would never work under such a structure, where there is a dof......Whether that is right or wrong is subject for debate....I'm firmly in the camp a manger should manage the club(playing side) but then that much is obvious.

The argument is though, that if a manager brings in all of his players, when he goes they are likely to follow or become unsettled. Players having a personal attachment to a manager and vise versa is not always a good thing. It certainly would make it harder to sack a manager as well.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Garcia was frustrated,perhaps because he did not know the British game and did not have the contacts within it. He had to rely on Burke and possibly Jones to find him the players. A more savvy British manager ,would work with Burke in a more equal way,finding and having his own thoughts on player recruitment.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The argument is though, that if a manager brings in all of his players, when he goes they are likely to follow or become unsettled. Players having a personal attachment to a manager and vise versa is not always a good thing. It certainly would make it harder to sack a manager as well.

What do you think we were last season??? Bridcutt, Barnes, Orlandi, Lopez, Pig, Buckley and Ulloa.....All Poyet's boys, don't be surprised if none of them are here come August. It was a very unsettled dressing room last season indeed.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Southampton have the same set up. With the manager having final say on transfers. It seems to work for them. I'm sure there are dozens of other clubs that have the same structure. I also think more and more clubs going forward will do the same.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What do you think we were last season??? Bridcutt, Barnes, Orlandi, Lopez, Pig, Buckley and Ulloa.....All Poyet's boys, don't be surprised if none of them are here come August. It was a very unsettled dressing room last season indeed.

Just wondering, do you know this for a fact,and if you do, how do you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Garcia was frustrated,perhaps because he did not know the British game and did not have the contacts within it. He had to rely on Burke and possibly Jones to find him the players. A more savvy British manager ,would work with Burke in a more equal way,finding and having his own thoughts on player recruitment.

That's not what Tony Bloom said. Oscar gave them a list of players that he wanted, none of whom were available or affordable.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That's not what Tony Bloom said. Oscar gave them a list of players that he wanted, none of whom were available or affordable.

For goodness sake, don't start bringing facts up, how are we meant to sort this disaster out, if you start bringing facts into it

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just wondering, do you know this for a fact,and if you do, how do you?

A lot of people know people who know certain members of the squad. It would be very wrong to name names. But why else would you think the squad has been culled so drastically..I feel a little bit sorry for Garcia in some ways, you don't think all the events of last summer and all the bad feeling Poyet left behind wouldn't have knock on effects for quite some time after???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For goodness sake, don't start bringing facts up, how are we meant to sort this disaster out, if you start bringing facts into it

Sorry. :blush:

A lot of people know people who know certain members of the squad. It would be very wrong to name names. But why else would you think the squad has been culled so drastically..I feel a little bit sorry for Garcia in some ways, you don't think all the events of last summer and all the bad feeling Poyet left behind wouldn't have knock on effects for quite some time after???

Did we get relegated? It must have been a dreadful season and I slept through it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports