Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Burke the stumbling block?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not regarding Garcia. He left because we failed in the transfer market, but that was only down to the strict budget which is Blooms domain.

That doesn't make any sense, sorry. Garcia was part of the club so even if we did fail in the transfer market he was at least a contributing factor. He says he gave TB a list of targets, TB says they were totally unrealistic (which given he didn't recruit at Tel Aviv and had no experience of English football really isn't that hard to believe). He chose not to be manager but rather to be head coach. He was, according to several accounts, unavailable at key times and unable to make his mind up over key players. If you only believe a fraction of that (and I believe it all) he was part of the problem and not an innocent victim.

Back to the OP. No "Burke" the man is not the problem. I imagine his position would be for some candidates. It is still a little unusual in British football and there are bound to be candidates put off by it. However there will be just as many who buy in to the structure and the long term plan. I'm quite glad we're taking our time weeding out the former and finding the latter because, even though I personally struggle to like the DoF role it's what we have and it's how TB wants to run the club. It may be the way most clubs here go in the future to be fair.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
That's nonsense. Oscar left because he wanted LESS involvement in player recruitment (and wanted us to spend money we don't have), and Poyet left because he wanted us to spend money we don't have. Neither comes down to Burke - it comes down to us not having unlimited funds

Where's this idea that we had/have no money come from? Didn't we bid seven figures for Grabban? That doesn't sound like the manager was therefore wanting us to "spend money we don't have."

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Why does everyone keep on complaining about David Burke?

He is NOT in charge of the manager/coach but is there to help him by doing all the leg work and sift out the dross so that the manager can get on with his real job of moulding a successful team.
This is the same in any sizeable business - the sales director has a team and does not produce all the leads!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Has it been written anywhere that there are 'stumbling blocks'??
Talk about theatrical.

Quite! Working relationships would need to be worked out whoever came in and whatever role they wanted.

And if the "right" manager had a problem in that area, I am sure it would be sorted out in a sensible way.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Wages init. Brabban was offered loads by Bournemouth and we wouldn't break our wage structure.

Fair enough, but wouldn't you as a manager be disappointed if a club down the road with what, half the crowds at best is able to offer more money?

Stumpy Tim

Fair enough, but wouldn't you as a manager be disappointed if a club down the road with what, half the crowds at best is able to offer more money?

Disappointed that I missed out on a player yes. But if I also understood we're trying to build a well-run, financially stable club then I would get over it. In other words, I wouldn't expect the club to spend money we don't have

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I would say needing nearly an entire new team makes it quite urgent to appoint a manager. Or is Burke just going to sign 8 players and say "there you go, there's your new team, work with that".

What's the difference between that and a new gaffer coming into a club on the 1st of February. None. None whatsoever. No one thinks Satan is at the helm when that happens. It's not the end of days you know.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That doesn't make any sense, sorry. Garcia was part of the club so even if we did fail in the transfer market he was at least a contributing factor. He says he gave TB a list of targets, TB says they were totally unrealistic (which given he didn't recruit at Tel Aviv and had no experience of English football really isn't that hard to believe). He chose not to be manager but rather to be head coach. He was, according to several accounts, unavailable at key times and unable to make his mind up over key players. If you only believe a fraction of that (and I believe it all) he was part of the problem and not an innocent victim.

Back to the OP. No "Burke" the man is not the problem. I imagine his position would be for some candidates. It is still a little unusual in British football and there are bound to be candidates put off by it. However there will be just as many who buy in to the structure and the long term plan. I'm quite glad we're taking our time weeding out the former and finding the latter because, even though I personally struggle to like the DoF role it's what we have and it's how TB wants to run the club. It may be the way most clubs here go in the future to be fair.

You can forget about this list of Oscar's targets that Bloom said were totally unrealistic, we didn't even get our own targets that Oscar also wanted. Conway and Grabban were the failures and set the tone for the rest of the season and the reason why I believe Oscar left. So I make sense to me at least.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can forget about this list of Oscar's targets that Bloom said were totally unrealistic, we didn't even get our own targets that Oscar also wanted. Conway and Grabban were the failures and set the tone for the rest of the season and the reason why I believe Oscar left. So I make sense to me at least.

But you are making your own mind up about who to 'blame' for those players ultimately not signing.

Grabban seemingly was entirely financial. Bournemouth offered him more than we felt he was worth. Do you honestly want us to pay more than we think a player is worth, just because somebody else wants to?

Conway, on the other hand, I am led to believe, was handed to Osacr on a plate, and he didn't want him. At least to start with, he didn't. He then changed his mind, once it was too late, and the player was commited to Blackburn.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I find it amusing that certain people assume we haven't got our first choice. I'm not saying we have but there's been no suggestion that anyone has been offered the job.

As someone else said on this thread, these things take time and we could well be discussing terms with out favoured candidate as we speak. Until I hear that we've got our fourth choice, I will hold out hope whereas others seem to hope for the worst so they can moan.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I find it amusing that certain people assume we haven't got our first choice. I'm not saying we have but there's been no suggestion that anyone has been offered the job.

As someone else said on this thread, these things take time and we could well be discussing terms with out favoured candidate as we speak. Until I hear that we've got our fourth choice, I will hold out hope whereas others seem to hope for the worst so they can moan.

It's that lack of information that will make people fill in their own gaps, based on... well, who knows what? No news is obviously bad news. And it must be the fault of someone whose job they don't know much about which sits in a structure which isn't fully understood nor appreciated.

Textbook summer fretting.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But you are making your own mind up about who to 'blame' for those players ultimately not signing.

Grabban seemingly was entirely financial. Bournemouth offered him more than we felt he was worth. Do you honestly want us to pay more than we think a player is worth, just because somebody else wants to?

Conway, on the other hand, I am led to believe, was handed to Osacr on a plate, and he didn't want him. At least to start with, he didn't. He then changed his mind, once it was too late, and the player was commited to Blackburn.

You mods are revealing all sorts of interesting snippets about Oscar.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As a point of order here, I think its fair to say that whoever we end up appointing will be sold to us as our 'first choice'.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's that lack of information that will make people fill in their own gaps, based on... well, who knows what? No news is obviously bad news. And it must be the fault of someone whose job they don't know much about which sits in a structure which isn't fully understood nor appreciated.

Textbook summer fretting.

I agree. However, I'd far rather we do this than be like some other clubs who play it all out in public. It's much better for the club to keep it behind close doors. I don't understand the negative attitude of some on here (especially the OP who was trying to find the cause of a problem we don't even know exists).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As a point of order here, I think its fair to say that whoever we end up appointing will be sold to us as our 'first choice'.

Absolutely but I think we'll have an idea from who it is whether that is likely to be true or not. We're hardly likely to introduce them by saying "this is xxx, our new manager. They weren't even close to our preferred candidate but nobody else would take it"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I understand that Burke is (one of) the stumbling blocks for Kev the Rev. He isn't for me. He -- or his role -- might be for some of the candidates; if so, they won't bite, and someone else will.
I'd imagine that the primary impediment at present are vacancies elsewhere (Southampton, West Brom primarily). We might have to wait until those posts are filled. When they are, I'd be surprised if we're waiting much longer. There's also every chance that we might have a manager before that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here