Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iphone 4S

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Cracking bit of kit but I do drag an electricity generating station around with me, the battery is crap.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've just renewed my phone. I had an iphone but after looking into the options there was just no way to justify getting another one. They are so overpriced and you get locked into apples other crap. I came to the conclusion that far from being the technological leader it used to be the iphone is now just a wanker tax.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think we both know I meant the Galaxy S II but feel free to carry on the pedantry.

Here is one award found instantly from techradar, who also overwhelmingly prefer android as an os. But why let an expert opinion get in the way of an argument.

There's not actually any link there. Mistakes when under pressure seem to be your stock-in-trade.

Gizmodo, you may have heard of them, said the iPhone 4S "is the best phone you can buy right now" when it was launched in October 2011. And, hey, rather than alluding to a link, I'll actually give you one - iPhone 4S Review.

Techcrunch (heard of them?) called it "the best smartphone ever made". Again, I'll give you the link - The iPhone 4S: Faster, More Capable, And You Can Talk To It | TechCrunch

But, this willy waving is stupid. As I've said before - all modern smartphones are magnificent and powerful devices. It's probably not possible to make a wrong purchasing decision. And, once you've made an investment in one ecosystem, you're unlikely to change.

In Android-land some good stuff is happening, and Samsung seem to lead the way with their Galaxy class devices, although it will be interesting to see what Google do with Motorola Mobility now they've been given the green light to close the deal at last.

It does seem to be unfortunate that those who carry Android devices so often seem to have this inferiority complex such that they have to use terms like "blows the iPhone out of the water" because it simply isn't true in either direction. As above, they're all good.

(But, as I said previously, Android IS playing with fire from a security perspective. Another scare has come out only tonight - Google's Bouncer Malware Tool Hacked | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
- so look after your data boys and girls.)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Do Andriod phones update their Operating Software? that's the beauty of Apple, I got my phone on IOS 4 and now weve got IOS 5.1.1 or something, and it's a new phone. Great stuff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do Andriod phones update their Operating Software? that's the beauty of Apple, I got my phone on IOS 4 and now weve got IOS 5.1.1 or something, and it's a new phone. Great stuff.

Google releases new versions of Android, yes. However it is an unfortunate aspect of life in Android-land that you may be at the mercy of your handset manufacturer and/or your network supplier as to when you get the update, if you get it at all. Many people may be only few months into an 18 or 24 month contract but find they will not receive any newer versions of Android thereby leaving them lacking the lates features and security updates.

I believe the most recent statistics show that 7 months into the newest version of Android, called Ice Cream Sandwich, only 7% of devices have been updated. This means 93% of devices are running one of the older versions of Android. This is another reason the platform remains a firm second best for man developers.

Last edited:

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
My I-phone 4s may as well just be a bloody games console since Bozza put that link up for the New Star Soccer app. Can't remember what else my phone does now other than fail to intercept passes & badly misjudge wind direction!!

This, totally.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
There's not actually any link there. Mistakes when under pressure seem to be your stock-in-trade.
)

Oh dear Bozza. And there was me thinking you were tech literate and all and capable of google search. Clearly not. Here you are poor lamb. A link just for you as you are incapable of looking for yourself as you clearly know i forgot to paste the link.

Samsung Galaxy S2 wins Phone of the Year award | News | TechRadar

You also clearly remember this as it was a topic you posted on at the time of the vote but dont worry little apple lamb, we wont dredge up more to embarrass your poor memory. i hate to make you look too silly . We can carry this game on all week if you really want. X

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Google releases new versions of Android, yes. However it is an unfortunate aspect of life in Android-land that you may be at the mercy of your handset manufacturer and/or your network supplier as to when you get the update, if you get it at all. Many people may be only few months into an 18 or 24 month contract but find they will not receive any newer versions of Android thereby leaving them lacking the lates features and security updates.

I believe the most recent statistics show that 7 months into the newest version of Android, called Ice Cream Sandwich, only 7% of devices have been updated. This means 93% of devices are running one of the older versions of Android. This is another reason the platform remains a firm second best for man developers.

I must be very lucky, my latest phone updated to Ice Cream Sandwich a good while ago and my previous phones also updated to the previous releases, (can't remember their names now, Honeycomb rings a bell).

Who is responsible for choosing who gets the upgrades and who doesn't? And why do they not issue to all together?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Both are good systems, I prefer Apple as they just seem to work no matter what I get upto where as my Android seemed to get lots of little bugs and my iPhone just works continuously.

Im sure if I was up for jail breaking and downloading stuff and updating things an Android would be better but as I suppose a tech layman I like the simplicity of Apple things.

May go back at some point but for now I'm happy.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Beside iPhones arnt that expensive now anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Sounds like game over for Apple, doesn't it?

"New data claims Apple’s iPhone 4S is still the UK’s most popular handset"

"the 4S still accounted for nearly a fifth of all sales in June."

Oh.

Bozza, don't shoot the messenger!!!!

i didn't write it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, don't shoot the messenger!!!!

i didn't write it.

It seems strange to post an article that is a month old in a thread that hadn't been posted in for a month or so.

The message is "The iPhone is (still) the biggest selling phone there is." - thanks for letting me/us know.

Bruno

Jul 2, 2012
Very happy with my iPhone 4s - wouldn't go to an Android phone for a number of reasons:

I have invested time and money in iOS apps
It works brilliantly with my other Apple devices
Being Apple, it just works!
It will hold its value better than an Android phone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here