Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Injuries' that hurt a LOT more than they sound/look

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
whoever said standing on a plug is 100% spot on - did it in the dark, the bloody thing pierced the skin quite deeply on the bottom of my foot.........there was 1 second where my brain didn't register pain and but thought 'that's not good' followed by levels of pain I have never had before or after - and I've broken numerous bones playing sport. Having my x have to pull the plug out, followed by trying to stem the flow of blood prior to hospital is a memory long ago buried until this thread reminded me!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bashing your ankle on the door of the open dishwasher.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Stepping on a piece of wood with a nail in it.

One I did as a kid - getting stung in the hand by a weaver fish - I have never felt pain like it...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I went through a period where I'd keep waking up with CRAMP in my calf.

That was DIBASILIFATING for sure.

Oh yes. If I've had one too many ALES I will wake up at around 4am with the most DEFIBRILLATORING cramp.

I basically 'overstretch' and then SNAP, I RECOIL in AGONY.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Aching knees. I need to see a physio about this:

Every time I play footy/jog etc for more than an hour, my knees are ridiculously tender afterwards - going up and down the Amex steps is absolute agony - if you're in WSU you've probably walked passed me going down the steps gingerly. It only seems to affect going up (or worse) down stairs. On level ground I feel FINE.

I'm only 27 so worried that this could continue to degenerate and affect my exercise.

I had this a few years ago (think I was 25), I went to the doctor and he said I had slightly flat feet and twisted knee caps. Ever since then I have worn arch supports in my shoes and never had the problem again. He also gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles in my inner thighs, apparently they were slightly under-developed and the outer thighs were over-developed which caused the twisting knee caps, possibly due to cycling.

I know what you mean about going down stairs, it was absolute HELL.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There have been some very good contenders so far but this one is it.

I get loads over the winter, mainly on the end of my fingers vertically just below the nail, it makes feeling for anything unbearable and knocking them brings tears to the eyes for ages, even simple things as putting hands in pockets is excruciating. Here's one that has just started, tomorrow it will be down deeper so it bleeds at every opportunity:angry:
C5AEACA0-FA6C-4673-B805-1CACD8B1410A-304-0000001B6DCE0923_zps1a30f8f9.jpg

Vaseline seals the cracked skin and softens it so that it doesn't split again.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Stepping on a piece of wood with a nail in it.

Now that sounds painful, PERIOD.

The other week I pulled the SMALLEST area of my back but, my word, it was halting BREATHING, ANY form of twist motion, door key turning, kettle pouring. EVERYTHING.

I had my girlfriend push on all points of my back and we couldn't find where the pain was, then she touched one area about the size of a 10p piece and I COLLAPSED. Pathetic but DISAMBIGUATING. Especially at 26 saying "I've got a bad back".

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sir%20Ranulph%20Fiennes%20frostbite-1742572.jpg

This sort of thing hurts a lot, apparently. You should also see his feet. :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Walking into a table or the side of a desk, catching your thigh on the corner of a table, often leaves a massive bruise if caught at full pace.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Now that sounds painful, PERIOD.

The other week I pulled the SMALLEST area of my back but, my word, it was halting BREATHING, ANY form of twist motion, door key turning, kettle pouring. EVERYTHING.

I had my girlfriend push on all points of my back and we couldn't find where the pain was, then she touched one area about the size of a 10p piece and I COLLAPSED. Pathetic but DISAMBIGUATING. Especially at 26 saying "I've got a bad back".

Thonly time I've ever seen the word 'Disambiguation' used is on Wikipedia. Was it even invented before that?

Oh, and what about getting a STITCH. No external symptoms, no long term effects, but for a few brief moments it's absolutely DEFENESTRATING.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Those are the hand of Ranulph Fiennes if I'm not mistaken. So lots of things, but mostly frostbite.

Correct Chappers, bit of hack-sawing involved too.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
My top 5 would be : - Paper cut, splinter, ingrowing toenail, ingrowing eyelash and pulling out a grey eyebrow hair (it bled for ages) ...

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I like to run up stairs and sometimes as I arrive with a skimp/jump at the top, I land awkwardly and usually then roll around on the floor screaming in agony for a few seconds, usually to hoots of derision.

Also when I had my eyebrow pierced, my GOD did that hurt.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
1. Fractured Humorous and torn Rotator Cuff.
2. Bit of spinal cartilage digging in nerves in your back, known as back pain.
3. Kidney or urine infection. Or variations, kidney stones etc.
4. Broken wrist.
5. Torn Achilles Tendon.
6. Various cuts to the bone, rope burns, torn skin from wire rope snags. Etc.
7. When I was a kid I had a few things called whitlows. They are infections under your nails.

I think that's all I can remember in order of painfulness. Women should appear in there somewhere as well. I'm surprised I'm still here really. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here