If you ran NSC...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't like the idea of splitting forums, it makes things much more complicated. When I've gone to visit other teams' forums that have this implimented, I'm never quite sure where I should be looking, as sometimes they have different sections for transfers, matchdays, rumours, away fans etc. Too many posts could belong in multiple sections, and may be overlooked or difficult to find. Also, it makes it a lot harder for new users who haven't grasped how things work. And then they post on the wrong section, and get ridiculed by everyone (as would surely happen on here) and possibly never come back.

I'd also be against too much restriction on new posters, as some great posts come from opposition fans (eg some of the Posh fans today about CMS) who only want to post once and would be put off by having to wait a day or so to post.

Here, here :clap::clap::clap:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'll answer the point being debated...

From a personal point of view, there have been forums I wanted to get involved in, but either...

i) As a guest you could not view much, so have been asked to register to even view discussions,

and/or

ii) New joiners are in some sort of probation period for some time until they can become fully involved.

...and I've found the experience hugely frustrating. As such, as things stand I'll be very reluctant to do either of those things and I believe the moderating burden from newbies is light and is far outweighed by the positive benefit of having new folk able to join and participate within a minute or two.

Yes, yes and yes, :clap::clap::clap: I welcome posters from other teams (as long as they're not trolls) as they contribute to the content.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think one of the good points about this board is that the main forum is not just football and thus a whole lot more interesting because of it. Couldn't agree more about rep points and yes you're right, Childish Ramblings would be a worthwhile return. Get a bit bored with this uber fan snobbery about who and when they should start a thread, what's wrong with freedom of speech ?

I don't think it is snobbery... it is just an attempt to prevent the albeit short-lived binfests that we get when we have a spam/provocative new thread starter.

The way it is now, they either get noticed by or reported to a mod who then deletes, warns/bans user etc... I would agree it has not been at an intollerable level recently, other than at the time of the Murray transfer news, but I suspect we will get a fair of amount of attention from away fans looking to get a rise (and they usually do!).

I don't feel strongly about it, because I am happy to ignore this stiff, but there are a vocal and fairly mindless minority on NSC who seem to like to rise to the challenge.

Yes, yes and yes, :clap::clap::clap: I welcome posters from other teams (as long as they're not trolls) as they contribute to the content.

That is nice. However, the clause you mention is open for misuse, and the fishing threads started by posters with a count of '1' seem to easily outnumber the real ones.
For most of this out-season we've seen odd threads claiming this player and that player are joining us - just like regular out-seasons, but with even more intensity than usual. Site 'bombing' could happen from other fans, and an increase in profile leads to more spammers.

I understand the point of letting real visiting enthusiasts open threads, so of course this issue is a debatable one anyway.
Mods will just have to be vigilant I think.

Incidentally, it was expected that the 'Salvation Army scandal' thread would get sorted - just took a while, perhaps for NSC amusement!
I didn't see a ban for the perpetrator though, maybe we let them know enough what was thought of their foolishness.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I realise this is probably difficult to implement, but the extremely handy 'Ignore' feature is entirely useless when people keep quoting the pillock I've blocked from view. If your 'Ignore' function could be made to remove their quoted posts from other posters' entries, it'd be rather marvellous.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
NSC may run, but HPACC run from no one, remember that you slags.

God Bless The Queen Mum

Bugs Hill

Jan 13, 2004
I realise this is probably difficult to implement, but the extremely handy 'Ignore' feature is entirely useless when people keep quoting the pillock I've blocked from view. If your 'Ignore' function could be made to remove their quoted posts from other posters' entries, it'd be rather marvellous.

Also, remove the ban on adding 'Moderators' to the Ignore List.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Make everybody have to register to view the forum.

Those new users under 16 need to be vouched for by somebody over 16. If the youngster misbehaves then both get a ban

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The ability to click on the thread title and it takes you to the last point you were at when you last read that thread

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A while back after a major modification a fault developed with the word-wrap and resulted in random repetition of the last word on one line as the first word on the next. This disappeared but I noticed yesterday and today that it has reappeared as a fault. Entriely random, presumably as a result of some modification made in the last few days, but if I owned NSC I'd probably fix it again :)

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The ability to click on the thread title and it takes you to the last point you were at when you last read that thread

That's exactly what the little round button does just to the left of the thread title :thumbsup:

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
One thing you're certain would make an improvement.

'Football only' forum with a 'general' forum for all things non-football.

One thing that might be chancier, and you'd reverse if it didn't work.

The reputation feature. Usually the cream rises to the top. It let's you rep a post and put a little note if you think it's a good post. Also it lets you provide a negative note. Those with 1000+ can only have this feature to avoid newbies negging everyone.

I've used it on another forum and it's fun. It also brings you a bit 'closer' to other forumites with the notes.

Agree.

Too many non football related toss on here.

Can we also have a seperate section where we can go to throw abuse at Palace. It does so make my day

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
That's exactly what the little round button does just to the left of the thread title :thumbsup:

Just tried that, unfortunately it doesn't.
What it does do is take you to the time that I was last on NSC, not the last time I viewed that particular thread.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just tried that, unfortunately it doesn't.
What it does do is take you to the time that I was last on NSC, not the last time I viewed that particular thread.

It should take you to the first new post since you were last in the thread. (An alternative method is to open the thread as normal and click 'view first unread' which is just below the page numbers at the top of the thread). I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it taking you to the time you were last on nsc. It may be a little bit skewiffy if you access NSC through more than one computer within a certain time period.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
ALL of the NSC smilies need to be brought back. The new ones are a SHAMBLES.

duuuuuuuuuuuurh.gif

Could we add this one? :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the problem is that many people have a different definition of .

Even amongst the relatively small sample at mod towers we have different tolerances and dislikes of individual issues, whether it to be to disallow certain words, (the 'c' word has been deleted for some time, but '******' and 'Spastic' are allowed by the system, although may result in posts being removed and bans employed).

As for the puerile stuff, I have read every edition of Viz for the last 25 years, and love it, and enjoy toilet humour that some may find offensive. Should that be banned too?

Somehow NSC manages to muddle through, and a contributory factor to that is the fact that there is a light hand on the tiller, a degree of self censorship by the vast majority of posters(which is sometimes forgotten in the heat of the moment), and the fact that fans from other clubs are made to feel welcome here.

Remember, had it not been for a 'newbie' Plymouth fan posting on the internet, there would have been no Fans United, no 5-0 thrashing of Hartlepool, no staying up on goal difference that season, and perhaps no Albion. I therefore would strongly defend the right of anyone to join and contribute to the board from day one.

We have other Albion sites that historically have taken a far more draconian approach to posts, and they have all floundered, and then there is NSP, which is a free for all, and that is as good as dead too.

valid points, well made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports