If you ran NSC...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What 2 things would you change (where changing can also include adding or removing something) on the site?

One thing you're certain would make an improvement.

One thing that might be chancier, and you'd reverse if it didn't work.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
1. New Threads can't be started by people with less than a certain number of posts. 100 seems reasonable, just to stop wind-up merchants appearing from various clubs and flooding the site with a number of pointless provocative site.

2. Favourite Threads. Be able to tag threads so that you can always go back to them easily without having to search. For instance we'll have a season-long NFL thread, that I'll refer back to every so often, but sometimes I get bored looking for it as "NFL" is too short for the search engine.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
2. Favourite Threads. Be able to tag threads so that you can always go back to them easily without having to search. For instance we'll have a season-long NFL thread, that I'll refer back to every so often, but sometimes I get bored looking for it as "NFL" is too short for the search engine.

You can do this by subscribing to a thread can't you?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Not necessarily an answer to your question but here is as good a place to say it - I really like the NSC Spy feature, was a godsend yesterday when all the CMS stuff was kicking off and meant no F5 refreshing required, just a glance every now and again at the screen... I highly recommend it!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
On the information under the username (on the left side of each post), I would replace the word 'Posts' with 'Loyalty Points'. No real reason, it would just amuse me. Of course the number would still be the person's post count.

I would also try a rumour rating system. Whereby if a user correctly called a rumour (colour of kit, player signing, exclusive reveal of new training kit) they would get +1. A user would get -1 if they incorrectly called a rumour. However, this relies on someone administering the process (time consuming) and would also require other users to point out correctly called rumours.

Crap ideas, I know!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Defintely bring back the birthday cake, I miss that. I don't like the notifications thingy at the top, that tells me when I've been quoted (which seems to get it wrong some of the time). Oh, and I'd ban Terry1 from slagging off Andy Murray any more. Apart from that, purrrrfect.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

'Football only' forum with a 'general' forum for all things non-football.

The reputation feature. Usually the cream rises to the top. It let's you rep a post and put a little note if you think it's a good post. Also it lets you provide a negative note. Those with 1000+ can only have this feature to avoid newbies negging everyone.

I've used it on another forum and it's fun. It also brings you a bit 'closer' to other forumites with the notes.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
1. Outright bans for wind up merchants & trollers, fishers, one warning, then out, for good.

2. Posting restrictions on new members, 10 posts before they can start a thread, including compulsary 'introduce yourself' post in appropriate thread, 25 posts before they can post links.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think I would remove the post count from the username box. That way we wouldn't get newbies posting shit, just to get a higher post count. We did this successfully on another forum. It has the added benefit of new people coming onto the board and being somewhat intimidated by people with 20,000 posts.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
There is a "rep" button for vBulletin that would be good to have. This could then work like a "Like" button on Facebook, and people could then decide (with the aid of that) if someone is trustworthy or not. Any over use (or incorrect use) of the rep option results in that person having their ability to rep someone disabled.

Also I'd add a "lightweight" skin for those viewing on mobiles. Tapatalk is okay, but it's £4 on the Blackberry. No way am I being stung for that much!!!

Finally, add a vBookie so people can gamble for virtual cash (maybe with a small cash price for the person who made the most money in a given timeframe - say £10).

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i like a rep feature gives us a chance to find the people who post utter tosh and it lets us know that if there is a new thread and they have lots of bad rep its probably not worth believing (rumours...)

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Oooh, I like NSC Spy. It makes me think: can this be set up as a twitter feed in any way so that social media addicts can have the 'Spy' stream streaming on tweetdeck?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would also try a rumour rating system. Whereby if a user correctly called a rumour (colour of kit, player signing, exclusive reveal of new training kit) they would get +1. A user would get -1 if they incorrectly called a rumour. However, this relies on someone administering the process (time consuming) and would also require other users to point out correctly called rumours.

This would actually probably be solved by [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] 's suggestion:

The reputation feature. Usually the cream rises to the top. It let's you rep a post and put a little note if you think it's a good post. Also it lets you provide a negative note. Those with 1000+ can only have this feature to avoid newbies negging everyone.

I've used it on another forum and it's fun. It also brings you a bit 'closer' to other forumites with the notes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

'Football only' forum with a 'general' forum for all things non-football.

Personally, I think reputation is crap and reinforces some irritating cliques. However, like your "football only" (or "sport only"?) forum idea. As the site gets bigger and busier, I think there is more of a case for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports