Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could cast you local election vote again. Would it be Green?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Would you vote the Greens in now?

• Yes they're great

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • No! it's been a disaster

Votes: 67 61.5%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I gave up sitting outside your house waiting to see you, so retreated to the park.

Worked at tImes during the week, but every weekend from 0930 to 2030 so I thought I might have spotted you at least once.

It's a big park. It seems you were looking out for me. It's not as though I spent the same amount of time there as you.

What sort of improvements do you think they can muster with this predicted £8k?

I don't suppose it's £8,000 on its own. I'd suspect it's an additional £8,000 above and over budget that they'd set aside already. The bowling green isn't a bad shout.

Improving the quality at the Rotunda wouldn't go amiss, but I don't know if that's council-run or leased out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So, let me get this straight. They had an idea, found out it wasn't popular with their voters, so changed their minds. Then, in an effort to save face/spin the PR surrounding the whole incident claimed that they were never that serious about it. Quick call the papers. This sort of thing has never happened in politics before, and I'm sure it'll never happen again.

It's interesting.

One poster says that the Greens don't listen. Another accuses them of humiliation upon listening. They can't have it both ways.

The meeting about this was on Thursday. It doesn't look like the minutes are up on site yet.

Dandyman

In London village.
definition of a true BRIGHTONIAN
one who was born and bred in Brighton
one who has maybe lived away(work commitments,financial,family) and maybe in several places
one who has and always will love the place, but maybe cannot afford to live there any longer
one who still might take an interest in the city even though no longer there
one who (and I suppose this should be optional) who is Brighton and Hove Albion until they die

The last may of course apply to many Albion fans who have absolutely no desire to live in an over-developed fishing village.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The consultation period was a month, with three exhibitions lasting the month to highlight the the proposals.

All monies raised are for the improvement of Preston Park.
Indeed. If the park users don't want to pay to maintain the place - who will? (Although I thought all monies raised from parking schemes had to be spent on transport schemes?)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's all about what the greens want whether or not we do or not, let's not forget either that they do not enjoy popular support and were only voted in due to voter apathy on a marginal majority of a low turnout something like only 1 in 8 voted for them meaning 7 in 8 didn't.

-"Decisions are made by those who show up" (variously attributed to Woody Allen, Harry S Truman and others), if the other parties don't inspire their supporters, it's not the green party's fault.
-The other candidates got fewer votes than the green party candidates.
-The Green party have a manifesto that laid out what they want. They won the election, so apparently many people who care enough to show up want it too, at least their manifesto got more support than any of the other manifestos
-They are not the first political party to win their respective office without the popular vote. It's not often that a party just throws its manifesto out the window because they didn't get the popular vote. Each party believes in what they are doing, and will take the opportunity to exercise power while they have it, and hope that enough people see the benefits to be convinced by their policies and vote for them at the next opportunity.
-I imagine if you combine people who didn't show up/couldn't vote, with people who didn't vote for the winners, very very few politicians will have the popular vote, if any. (only 44m people were eligible to vote in the 2010 General Election, so right off the bat that's 17.5m who won't have voted for the winner.
-You don't know if, had 8 out of 8 people shown up to vote, the results would have been different. Maybe next time around, people will see the Green Party as a legitimate option so those who in the past were inclined to vote for the candidate that has the best chance of beating the main candidate they want least, instead of the green party nominee who they didn't think had a chance, and maybe this time around think a vote for the green party nominee won't be wasted and vote that way.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's a big park. It seems you were looking out for me. It's not as though I spent the same amount of time there as you.

I don't suppose it's £8,000 on its own. I'd suspect it's an additional £8,000 above and over budget that they'd set aside already. The bowling green isn't a bad shout.

Improving the quality at the Rotunda wouldn't go amiss, but I don't know if that's council-run or leased out.

One bowling green is turning into a wild flower maze. It would be great to turn another one into a mini grass football pitch.

The Rotunda is leased out. To be renewed soon I think.

They definitely need to do something with the Ladies Bowling Pavilion. It's been sitting defunct for a number of years now. I put in a proposal to run it as a party venue, at the start of the year, but they didn't seem interested, despite assurances to pay rent each month.

The management is exceedingly poor. See the Peter Principle.

They definitely need some sort of water feature.

Hopefully Sports Development takeover running the sports side of the park. City Parks haven't a clue what they are doing.

The boules terrain has been a bit of a flop.

Benches are stolen/broken and they don't get replaced.

There is no CCTV in the park which I believe there should be.

An aide of Lucas is willing to meet me and I'll get round to organising that.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was under the impression the implementation of the parking charge in Preston Park was to discourage commuters from parking there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was under the impression the implementation of the parking charge in Preston Park was to discourage commuters from parking there.

It was really. A ridiculous amount of people abandoned their cars there. The problem has been passed on to residential streets now.

I think it was a decent idea, but there should be bracket for free parking.

However, it is the cheapest parking in Brighton, so will only put stubborn people off. I'm certain the prices will be cranked up eventually.

Dandyman

In London village.

Dandyman

In London village.
At Sadel shops . I trust you know Sadles are commie sandels?

I rather thought sandals were the footwear of choice for the right-wing Orange Book opportunists now in government who were needed to make up for CMD's pathetic failure to win the last General Election.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Thanks for that clip. She is one hot lady, even hotter when she looks annoyed.

Leo Littman just doesn't know where to put his head :lolol:

In my broadcasting work I've come across a number of Green councillors who run contrary to the Argus's portrait of them. One described the Argus as the true opposition, and this is most true.

People also forget that many of the decisions they are blamed for a decisions taken by city administrators and not elected members anyway.

The policy towards travellers is a prime example. There are no more travellers here than there have ever been, yet the Argus would have us believe otherwise. The council follows specific protocol in dealing with the issue too.

The Greens are fine, I know my local councillors and would have no problem seeing them voted in again.

The hippy, communist tag (even though many on here probably know little about such ideals) is nauseous.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Leo Littman just doesn't know where to put his head :lolol:

In my broadcasting work I've come across a number of Green councillors who run contrary to the Argus's portrait of them. One described the Argus as the true opposition, and this is most true.

People also forget that many of the decisions they are blamed for a decisions taken by city administrators and not elected members anyway.

The policy towards travellers is a prime example. There are no more travellers here than there have ever been, yet the Argus would have us believe otherwise. The council follows specific protocol in dealing with the issue too.

The Greens are fine, I know my local councillors and would have no problem seeing them voted in again.

The hippy, communist tag (even though many on here probably know little about such ideals) is nauseous.

the Argus very much akin to some of the red tops I'm afraid
never used to be like that
I stopped reading it 30 or more years ago

and a very good post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here