Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could cast you local election vote again. Would it be Green?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Would you vote the Greens in now?

• Yes they're great

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • No! it's been a disaster

Votes: 67 61.5%

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But to police this new 4 hour limit properly funds must be put in place for wardens- hence the residential parking schemes. As you would know if you were "slightly more intelligent."

Given Preston Park Avenue would need wardens it's hardly much effort to pop over to the park. Regardless, if the Council procurement officer didn't get a fixed price contract with yearly reductions from the warden supplier then they need firing ( but given how useless council employees generally are I wouldn't be surprised ).

It would appear the RP wardens only police the streets in the scheme, judging by the shocking parking ignored 100m away from parking zones when tiny infractions within are ticketed.

I don't know whether that is for convenience or whether legal restrictions only allow them to work in the scheme areas. How ring-fenced is funding for the schemes? Sometimes the most obvious solution locally is outlawed by central government rules (not currently Green).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Given Preston Park Avenue would need wardens it's hardly much effort to pop over to the park. Regardless, if the Council procurement officer didn't get a fixed price contract with yearly reductions from the warden supplier then they need firing ( but given how useless council employees generally are I wouldn't be surprised ).

Wow, so as well as insulting the residents of Preston Park (the largest voting group with 'half a brain' who voted on their parking scheme), you're now having a swipe at council officers and employees.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Wow, so as well as insulting the residents of Preston Park (the largest voting group with 'half a brain' who voted on their parking scheme), you're now having a swipe at council officers and employees.

Where have I insulted the residents of PP ? They voted for a scheme - the scheme that was implemented ( i.e. charging for park access ) was not what was suggested. Yes, any contract manager worth his or her salt would insist on fixed price / ever discounted costs per year for the life of the contract. I seen enough government and council contracts to know - strangely central government are far better at it than local councils although Brent, West Sussex, Sheffield and Swindon were very good at it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But to police this new 4 hour limit properly funds must be put in place for wardens- hence the residential parking schemes. As you would know if you were "slightly more intelligent."

I don't know if they have employed extra wardens, but the park is only policed a few times a day. They certainly do not have their own dedicated team.

The wardens I see generally arrive on moped and then disappear when done. There isn't a great deal of parking to check. Without issuing any ticket, it would take ten to fifteen minutes max.

They certainly should have given some free time. It seems to have put off tennis players and bowlers alike.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Was there a vote? I know there was a token consultation period and open day.

Andy Rollings has a petition up in his cafe and plenty of people are voting for a free set time.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Would never vote green, fed up of their 'Brighton experiment' and lack of any real skills or ability to govern locally. Its all so right on and idealogical rather than doing what is right for the residents and businesses and what they want. It's all about what the greens want whether or not we do or not, let's not forget either that they do not enjoy popular support and were only voted in due to voter apathy on a marginal majority of a low turnout something like only 1 in 8 voted for them meaning 7 in 8 didn't.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Any Green supporters care to comment on the total pigs ear they made of the buses? I can't recall all the names and facts involved, but didn't they plan to scrap a load of routes that they no longer wanted to subsidise? Then when they realised how unpopular it was going to be they did a massive u-turn and claimed they never intended to cancel those routes, and that it was all a big misunderstanding due to a clerical error. Would it not have just been easier to admit the truth and say they realised it would cost them votes, so they changed their mind?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I helped put up the signs. They expect £8, 000 to be raised.

I spoke to a huge amount of park users about the issue and at least 85% were against the proposal.

The park has been noticeably emptier than last year and certainly takings on sports facilities are down. Granted, it has not been the best of summers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The consultation period was a month, with three exhibitions lasting the month to highlight the the proposals.

All monies raised are for the improvement of Preston Park.

They could start by getting rid of most of the bowling greens. That would certainly free up the gardeners to do some proper stuff.

Do you use the park? I have never seen you in it and spent my whole summer there.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The consultation period was a month, with three exhibitions lasting the month to highlight the the proposals.

All monies raised are for the improvement of Preston Park.

As a public service it should be available to all council tax payers for free, not just those that live within walking distance.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes I do.

That's quite a disturbing follow-up.

I gave up sitting outside your house waiting to see you, so retreated to the park.

Worked at tImes during the week, but every weekend from 0930 to 2030 so I thought I might have spotted you at least once.

What sort of improvements do you think they can muster with this predicted £8k?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Any Green supporters care to comment on the total pigs ear they made of the buses? I can't recall all the names and facts involved, but didn't they plan to scrap a load of routes that they no longer wanted to subsidise? Then when they realised how unpopular it was going to be they did a massive u-turn and claimed they never intended to cancel those routes, and that it was all a big misunderstanding due to a clerical error. Would it not have just been easier to admit the truth and say they realised it would cost them votes, so they changed their mind?

So, let me get this straight. They had an idea, found out it wasn't popular with their voters, so changed their minds. Then, in an effort to save face/spin the PR surrounding the whole incident claimed that they were never that serious about it. Quick call the papers. This sort of thing has never happened in politics before, and I'm sure it'll never happen again.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If the Greens start doing any of that, then I for one will never vote for them in the local elections ever again.
I dunno, if we kill all the visitors I think you'll find we solve all our traffic problems at a stroke and relieve all the pressure on the environment and our scarce natural resources. There's far too many people in south eastern England anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here