Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we didn't get European football from here, would you be disappointed? (Pre Spurs)

If we didn't get European football from here, would you be disappointed?

• Yes, very.

Votes: 85 29.9%
  • Slightly, was always going to be a strecth.

Votes: 123 43.3%
  • No, has been a great season.

Votes: 69 24.3%
  • Still too early to say.

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am not even thinking about Europe yet. If we get there it will be amazing for the Albion , a club we a remember languishing in the old division 4. But we are not there yet , there is some way to go and I don’t assume anything until it happens.
No disappointment, it has been a great season anyway.

Well, I don’t watch it at the moment. I know next to nothing about the clubs or teams. If we qualify I will certainly watch for the novelty value. Who knows, perhaps it will grow on me with our involvement but I can’t claim that I would be disappointed in missing out on something I currently have no interest in. I also have some trepidation that our upward trajectory might be upset by the demands of a European campaign. We’ll see. Or maybe we won’t.
This is success in the prem though?! Europe trophies and maybe winning the league.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Champions League is far more exciting than the other 2 competitions and the finances could keep the squad together longer than otherwise.
Burnley, West Ham and Leicester have seen their league form drop off a cliff when playing in the Europa league and Conference, maybe because of fixture congestion. That's my only concern.
Like all Albion fans, I have been dreaming of the club being in Europe for decades and would readily embrace the CL. Now that the only type of European participation open to us seems ever more real, I am not sure that I am as keen –I assumed that I was in a minority of one, but seeing other posts, I see that I am not alone.

Given that the CL now looks unlikely, one of the relatively minor competitions beckons. It is likely to be far less lucrative and certainly less prestigious, so the chances of our two (or more!) top stars staying in summer are reduced, plus our pulling power will not be as good, though, to be fair, we have attracted very good players of late without the immediate prospect of Europe. The financial incentives are not there nearly to the same extent, and so one might presume that the club would be less likely to enhance the squad numerically with costly proven European experience. If participation in earlier preliminary rounds is needed, then the players will presumably have less summer time to physically recover before pre-season training commences (The cup Final, if we make it, is in June!) and that this, combined with the volume of matches, could well mean that the chances of injuries are greater. Did not West Ham and Burnley in seasons past, then struggle in their first PL matches? Possible matches in far-flung areas involving travelling, in total, hundreds if not thousands of miles to play in front of relatively small crowds is not the most inviting prospect, and I am not certain that home matches against unknown entities from, say, Kazakstan will draw huge support. Supporters will be asked to pay for even more matches plus the fact there might not be the travel subsidy operating. Yes, real fans say they will cough up, and doubtless they will, but crowds of 30,000? Also, a minor point, granted, but more Sunday matches will be needed – changed kick-off times, and transport problems due to reduced Sunday service have been the subject of many threads over the years, and thus are a factor.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would be bitterly disappointed. I've followed this club for four decades and we've been shit for most of that time. These are the days that make it all worthwhile. Our squad is basically as good as some of the biggest clubs in the country. This is our time.

Fourth is a stretch, but top six or even better, a cup win, would just be fantastic. And can you imagine turning over clubs like Roma, Feyenoord, Seville, Dortmund or Celtic? That's where we could be this time next year? It might then never happen again.

Brighton could do some serious damage in the EL as teams would underestimate them

A shite West Ham side got to the Semis last year

If it was the Conference league I'd back them to win it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Before Spurs, I wuld have been disappointed (with anyrhing less than the conference) - 7th. place and the conference and I'd have been happy enough.
After Spurs - I'll be f***ig furious!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Only disappointed on the basis that it could be a deciding factor in some of our rising talent deciding to move on. I would never ever be disappointed in the players, the boss, the back room teams, for What they have given us this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here