Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we didn't get European football from here, would you be disappointed? (Pre Spurs)

If we didn't get European football from here, would you be disappointed?

• Yes, very.

Votes: 85 29.9%
  • Slightly, was always going to be a strecth.

Votes: 123 43.3%
  • No, has been a great season.

Votes: 69 24.3%
  • Still too early to say.

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As for next season. I think only City, Arsenal and possibly Newcastle will be growing from a position of strength. Liverpool is a team of (Very good) players past their prime. They have got a lot of recruitment to do to be a major force next year. Some good youngsters but 8 players 30 or over including the spine of the team. They play a high energy style and even Milner isnt going to go on forever. Chelsea, undoubtedly have good players but a toxic atmosphere so wouldnt be the first team not to gel and achieve their potential. United are just a collection of horrible individuals with a few genuine players. They will undergo a rebuilding in the summer. Ten Haag will want his own type of players for sure. Im not quite sure how Spurs are above us at the moment but hopefully that will change before the end of the season. Son is not the player he was last year and Kane may be off in the summer if he feels he needs to get some silverware. Theyve also got to find manager that can get them playing and there just arent many around before you go back to the merry go round of Rodgers, Lampard, Gerrard, Moyes etc. I rate Emery as a coach so think that Villa will be around us next season if he is still there. As for us, keeping hold of Caicedo is key for me. A genuine, tenacious, defensive midfielder. May be replaceable with Alzate, Gilmour or Moder but we dont know for sure. Mac, however good he is, will be "easier" to replace with one of our youngsters. Mitoma would be a big miss as well but reports of Adringa being a similar beast are encouraging for a back up at least. So I hope to see consolidation of our position next year. Flirting with cup glory and European football of one type or another. All my own opinions of course.
18 months ago Arsenal were shit, supporters wanted Arteta out.

A big transfer window can change everything.

I think all transfer records will be broken this summer. The Saudis will go for it, Manure will be owned by a state or JR, Abu Dhabi will carry on regardless, Kroenke will keep pumping in £100m’s, FSG have promised to fund a rebuilt midfield (a load of highly paid, ineffective players are out of contract), Spurs spent £180 last summer and imho will do so again, eventually Chelsea’s spending will work under a decent coach.

They’ll all be their or thereabouts top 4.

But I have faith in TB’s totally different approach.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
18 months ago Arsenal were shit, supporters wanted Arteta out.

A big transfer window can change everything.

I think all transfer records will be broken this summer. The Saudis will go for it, Manure will be owned by a state or JR, Abu Dhabi will carry on regardless, Kroenke will keep pumping in £100m’s, FSG have promised to fund a rebuilt midfield (a load of highly paid, ineffective players are out of contract), Spurs spent £180 last summer and imho will do so again, eventually Chelsea’s spending will work under a decent coach.

They’ll all be their or thereabouts top 4.

But I have faith in TB’s totally different approach.
Thats a lot of clubs wanting a lot of players. But like you, I have faith in TB.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thats a lot of clubs wanting a lot of players. But like you, I have faith in TB.

Rice, Bellingham, Maddison, Tielemans, possibly some of ours, half the flavour of the month Napoli team, Kane?, Toney, Ward-Prowse, de Jong, the usual raid on Benfica, Barca in financial difficulty.

Unfortunately the Saudis etc have the money to raid clubs everywhere.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I said slightly, but mostly for the team and manager who clearly have that as their goal.

I always want us to win and do better, but do not have any expectations of European football. I would love of course if we played local to me!

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
After this weeks results, I said to a mate I would be disappointed, even if it's only the Conference League, to not get into Europe from here.

Who agrees? Anyone still happy with 8th?
100% going to Europe. Been so consistent this season and pass through teams with ease. Will ramp up in the final push.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we are talking about right now and where we are, with the mess of the clubs around us it’d be a massive missed opportunity

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes I’d be disappointed. 6th place, let alone 7th, is ours to lose now IMO.
Not really ours - Man U, Saudi, Spurs, Liv'pool all favourites to finish above us.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Not really ours - Man U, Saudi, Spurs, Liv'pool all favourites to finish above us.

We are currently averaging 1.7 points per game, that would give us a final tally of 65.
Last season that would comfortably have left us in 6th.
Even if Liverpool finish above us as well, we would still be in 7th and in Europe next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are currently averaging 1.7 points per game, that would give us a final tally of 65.
Last season that would comfortably have left us in 6th.

That doesn't take into account that 5 of our last 11 games are against the top 5 clubs.

Even if Liverpool finish above us as well, we would still be in 7th and in Europe next season.
Yep, I'll be happy with 7th and the Conference League. Obviously we might not make that either, or we could do better, but I don't think it's correct to say that 6th is ours to lose.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Champions League = I'll be very happy and very excited to watch.
Europa League = If I were an fan of EPL's top 6 clubs, I wouldn't rate Europa League at all. But for Brighton, Europa League might be very big.
Europa Conference League?. I don't want it. I rather want Brighton to focus on English Premier League.

For me, the most exciting leagues to watch are,
1: Champions League
2: English Premier League
3: Laliga or Bundesliga
4: Bundesliga or Laliga
5: Europa League
12: Europa Conference League

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think we’ll end up 5/6th……regardless of the cup outcome that’s fantastic. If we win the cup as well then difficult to how things will ever be better given what we’re up against,

There for the taking this season. De Zerbi has recalibrated everyone’s targets including Tony.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Champions League = I'll be very happy and very excited to watch.
Europa League = If I were an fan of EPL's top 6 clubs, I wouldn't rate Europa League at all

I disagree because how often do English clubs win European trophies? Not much. All of them would love some European silverware.

Europa Conference League?. I don't want it. I rather want Brighton to focus on English Premier League.

For me, the most exciting leagues to watch are,
1: Champions League
2: English Premier League
3: Laliga or Bundesliga
4: Bundesliga or Laliga
5: Europa League
12: Europa Conference League

I can understand that from a neutral's point of view, but as a Brighton fan the most important league to watch is whatever we're in, and if we're in the Europa Conference, then that suddenly becomes quite interesting.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Of course people will be disappointed if the Albion doesn't make one of the European competitions. Of course there is no guarantee we will because anything is possible before the end of the season. Having said this, going through the remaining matches and taking a fairly conservative approach, I estimate we will end up on 60 to 62 points which should be enough to send us to Europe.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, I don’t watch it at the moment. I know next to nothing about the clubs or teams. If we qualify I will certainly watch for the novelty value. Who knows, perhaps it will grow on me with our involvement but I can’t claim that I would be disappointed in missing out on something I currently have no interest in. I also have some trepidation that our upward trajectory might be upset by the demands of a European campaign. We’ll see. Or maybe we won’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here