Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "if they don't close that stadium someone will get killed there."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Take away the safety certificate until they get the segregation sorted, emergency services comms. working and tested, operational plan and stewarding for away fan safe passage outside the ground. Have to play behind closed doors until then.

That'll concentrate Brady's 'planning and strategy culture'.

PG

Word.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Did they behave like a bunch of tits? Yes

Was it worse than what is seen on Saturday nights up and down the country (and also in many holiday destinations) when people have been on the sauce? Not particularly.

If the stadium is going to be closed then the same should happen to hundreds of pubs and clubs too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Was it worse than what is seen on Saturday nights up and down the country (and also in many holiday destinations) when people have been on the sauce? Not particularly.

If the stadium is going to be closed then the same should happen to hundreds of pubs and clubs too.
Spot on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thugs. Simple as. Most football don't fans want to be hooligans - but a small minority do.

Defending their turf? Grow up.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Funny how the Albion could take an athletics track and make it into a football ground with segregation etc but West Ham can't with all their millions and resources
There is a bit of a difference in scale.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The Chelsea and West Ham firms had arranged a meeting point exactly 1 mile from the pitch for their tear up.

Unfortunately for everyone, this happened to still be inside the stadium.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

This with bells on. Those Brighton hoolies that had a tear-up in Hanover with the Spurs hoolies a few years back got jail sentences and long banning orders for what was for most a first offence. That scrap was probably no worse than anything near West Street on any given weekend but for some reason the police and the courts use common sense and a proportionate response when punishing these people.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
They weren't throwing coins AT children - but they were throwing coins into an area where there were children. So quite clearly, they didn't actually care whether they hit them or not.

That's equally abhorrant IMO.
Absolutely agree - whether you're deliberately targeting children or just not that arsed if you hit a kid or not is too fine a distinction for me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely agree - whether you're deliberately targeting children or just not that arsed if you hit a kid or not is too fine a distinction for me.

I'm sure we're all in agreement there but I think the point Bozza is making is that the way the Press are reporting it, they are angling the story so that it sounds like children were deliberately targeted which makes it sound even worse. This all adds to the bad rep that football fans have and it weakens even further any influence that us fans who go to matches have over developments in the game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sure we're all in agreement there but I think the point Bozza is making is that the way the Press are reporting it, they are angling the story so that it sounds like children were deliberately targeted which makes it sound even worse. This all adds to the bad rep that football fans have and it weakens even further any influence that us fans who go to matches have over developments in the game.

Indeed. Fortunatley I've been out all day so I've not had time to argue with people who were agreeing with me, but in a style that suggested they disagreed with me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yep, already hearing people discuss problems in 'football' when this is a West Ham issue pure and
simple. I haven't seen any trouble for years and the general altmosphere at games is nothing like the old days. A poster earlier in the thread asked why 'we' aren't intelligent enough to not behave in this manner as though the rest of football has to take the blame. Let's put the responsibility where it belongs and not draw hand wringing conclusions on society as is the modern way.

el punal

It just further exposes the monstrous vanity project that Olympic Stadium was in the first place. Despite all the talk of “legacy” at the time, there was absolutely NO tangible plan put in place about what the frig to do with that stadium once the 2 weeks running and jumping contest was finished. Coe and the IOC insisted that the athletics track had to remain in place, steadfastly ignoring the fact the three men and a dog turn up to watch athletics (see the Don Valley stadium closure – 25k capacity), and a stadium that size, with the associated running costs, would never be viable just for athletics.

£486m to build the thing, then another £272m to convert it into an inadequate football stadium where something as simple as a radio system isn't even in place. Unreal. They had a blueprint of how it COULD have been a successful and beneficial project for all parties just up the road in Manchester, where a plan was put in place for Man City to move into the City of Manchester stadium after the Commonwealth games. That’s a proper stadium designed with football in mind post-games. In contrast, the London Stadium in football terms is a joke, and I would be absolutely GUTTED if I was a West Ham fan losing Upton Park and having to go and watch my team play in that awful soulless bowl a mile from the pitch.

Shambles.

Which begs the question, with hindsight being a wonderful thing, why did they ever want to move from Upton Park? Yes I know, ultimately, that the club will make money from increased ticket revenue. But Upton Park suited West Ham, it had a capacity of 36,000, and if they had redeveloped the East Stand in proportion to the other stands that might have taken the attendance to 45,000+/-. The attendance at their new stadium last night was 45,000. Hardly worth the grief really.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Which begs the question, with hindsight being a wonderful thing, why did they ever want to move from Upton Park? Yes I know, ultimately, that the club will make money from increased ticket revenue. But Upton Park suited West Ham, it had a capacity of 36,000, and if they had redeveloped the East Stand in proportion to the other stands that might have taken the attendance to 45,000+/-. The attendance at their new stadium last night was 45,000. Hardly worth the grief really.

No sure that the fans wanted to move however the owners were more than happy to trouser the proceeds from the sale of the boleyn ground .

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I thought we'd managed to push these kind of cavemen out of football.
And here I was thinking of this, and urine-drenched terracing, being the very things whose absence has killed off real, proper, English football.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
[tweet]791668852509868032[/tweet]

Seriously? 55,000 on West Ham season ticket waiting list?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here