Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "if they don't close that stadium someone will get killed there."

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
The Rodneys are queuing up. They dont understand its just a bit of banter and all over by the morning ???

Regards
DR

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Let's be honest they didn't, did they? No one luzzed coins specifically targeting a young girl.

They threw coins at a group of opposing supporters and that group contained children. That's clearly very poor form on any level.

However subtle the difference, I just don't like the narrative that people were intentionally trying to hit a child, because I don't believe they were.

Collateral damage then if you wish to be pedantic .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unsure, I didn't really see the child, only the father on BBC Breakfast. Mid 40's, grey collar length hair, specs, looked like he might work in an office, fitted the stereotypical 'new fan' image perhaps.

Office workers are new fans going to football? Whatever next?

Btw I watched BBC Breakfast and the girl was with her father when he was on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Collateral damage then if you wish to be pedantic .

I'm not trying to be pedantic and I realise writing what I did could be picked up, twisted, and presented as me somehow condoning coin throwing.

Let's be clear: I'm not condoning coin throwing. It's extremely dangerous. One of our own, who frequents these very pages, is testament to that having been hit in the eye by a coin.

What I don't like is the "football supporters are so evil that they'll even throw coins at the faces of small children" way of presenting things, because I believe football supporters are still ridiculously harshly treated as a group.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not trying to be pedantic and I realise writing what I did could be picked up, twisted, and presented as me somehow condoning coin throwing.

Let's be clear: I'm not condoning coin throwing. It's extremely dangerous. One of our own, who frequents these very pages, is testament to that having been hit in the eye by a coin.

What I don't like is the "football supporters are so evil that they'll even throw coins at the faces of small children" way of presenting things, because I believe football supporters are still ridiculously harshly treated as a group.

We absolutely are and its largely because of incidents like this which then get days and days of sensationalist press coverage which does nothing but serve to further entrench the views that we're all dangerous louts with long hair and jumpers who probably work in an office.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They weren't throwing coins AT children - but they were throwing coins into an area where there were children. So quite clearly, they didn't actually care whether they hit them or not.

That's equally abhorrant IMO.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If they do have to alter the stadium and surrounds if it's decided that it's not fit for purpose, who picks up the tab?

We do. Again.

The problem has always been that the stadium owners will employ as few stewards as their contract allows and as cheaply as possible and as it's public money this is understandable. West Ham should have been employing extra, experienced, stewards to top us these numbers but have always refused as they feel that it isn't their responsibility. Karen Brady and the Pork Kings seem only willing to spend money on the problem if they think there is a danger that they wont be able to fill the stadium in future years.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Office workers are new fans going to football? Whatever next?

Btw I watched BBC Breakfast and the girl was with her father when he was on.

10 out of 10 for observation, but I did not look too closely at the child, sorry about that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just think it is depressing that the only thing stopping people causing trouble is police and segregation. Are we not intelligent and developed enough to be able to hold ourselves back from fighting each other!?

Apparantly not, and that, as you rightly say, is very sad indeed.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I just think it is depressing that the only thing stopping people causing trouble is police and segregation. Are we not intelligent and developed enough to be able to hold ourselves back from fighting each other!?

And sadly why the ban on drinking whilst being able to see the pitch won't be lifted any time soon (the usual handful ruin it for the vast majority thing again)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They weren't throwing coins AT children - but they were throwing coins into an area where there were children. So quite clearly, they didn't actually care whether they hit them or not.

That's equally abhorrant IMO.

If you are throwing coins towards an area where there are children, then you are throwing coins at children.

If not you could use the excuse that they weren't throwing the coins at anyone at all, they were just throwing them in a general area.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you are throwing coins towards an area where there are children, then you are throwing coins at children.

If not you could use the excuse that they weren't throwing the coins at anyone at all, they were just throwing them in a general area.

I think perhaps we're getting a bit tangled up in semantics here. The point is, whether you consider they were specifically aiming at children or not, hurling coins anywhere into a crowd of people is completely inexcusable. There is absolutely no justifiable excuse for it whatsoever.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Take away the safety certificate until they get the segregation sorted, emergency services comms. working and tested, operational plan and stewarding for away fan safe passage outside the ground. Have to play behind closed doors until then.

That'll concentrate Brady's 'planning and strategy culture'.

PG

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Perhaps the coin thrower didn't realize that there were children in the stadium .

Attachments

• coin ed.jpg
    coin ed.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here