I know its only been 3 or 4 games, but what is your impression so far of Ulloa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From another thread - my thoughts

His first touch and control is very good.

His link up play is very sharp and incisive.

He wins a lot of headers (and some free kicks).

Despite his link up play he's always in the box waiting for decent delivery - which will come once our wingers remember to beat the 1st man

The only clear chances he had were the free header (back post) in the 1st half that the defender blocked with his hand & the flicked backheel in the 2nd that the keeper was lucky it went right to his feet... perhaps the snap shot from the attack where Vicente weaved through the Blackburn defence 2nd half, that he hit well enough, but straight at the keeper.

I like him - he's in the mould that suits our style - good touch, good passer, skillful. Will score loads when we learn to cross better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
he will take a few games to settle, probably a wee bit chilly for him as well.......i can see us screaming home with a wet sail.....play offs defo on the cards , but hey what do i know.......:bla:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hold the ball well, has good ball control - but would love to see him getting on those balls in the box and hitting the target a bit more often with his chances

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I think he doesn't look match fit yet.

I was very surprised when I assumed we bought him a s a target man that when Vicente was tearing Blackburn apart, he kept drifting towards the ball and not into the area.

He was a tad frustrating in that respect.

Also whilst we are at it, Lua Lua's strength is tearing into defenders...again, that did not happen yesterday. I hope that is not being coached out of him and he gets back to running at teams rather than passing it back to safety all the time.

On the whole...frustrating first half and much better second half. Should have buried them though( how many times have we said that this season)

BTW is it correct that at the Amex, the last game we won from being 1-0 behind was the Doncaster game on teh opening day of last season?
Impressed so far. Good all-round game. Should have scored a couple but they'll come. I think possibly Barnes the best option to partner him, they seemed to click against arsenal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lua Lua was real threat last night was convinced his curling shot was in the onion bag but hey he only passes back?

yes the ONE shot he had was brilliant...and the two efforts he had to take players on....then again there was umpteen times when he got the ball and turned towards our goal. You were there and watching last night ?

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Odd really - Ive been watching fooball since the 1960s, but sometimes I just dont seem to see the same things as the majority on these boards. Plenty on here saying that Ulloa is still settling in, give him 15 or so games and he'll be great etc etc... which I tend to agree with - but so far Ive not been THAT impressed. He's been ok, scored one, missed a few, but hasnt merited a few of the rave reviews some gave him after the first couple of games. Give the lad a chance, but so far Im 50 -50 about him.

Equally, plenty wrote Dobbie off as useless after far less playing time... I thought he looked fairly useful, yet was written off lazy and useless when surely the same argument ("give him 15 or so games") applies?

Ho hum - Im not saying Ulloa isnt worth sticking with, just inetersted in the double standards applied - he's been ok so far, but nothing really special (yet) in my opinion.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
Im interested to know, how many weeks/games Ulloa would have to fail to score in before you dismissed him as shit and not worthy of playing ?

The difference imo to CMS and Leo is that Leo does actually get possession of the ball and can keep it. CMS is weak in that he is easily 'shoved' off the ball and even rarely gets to it in the first place. I'm not slating CMS's finishing it can be really good but he does need to be on the ball & he struggles at that, Leo can win balls both in the air and from tackles meaning he ends up being more useful than CMS at a lot of times.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Odd really - Ive been watching fooball since the 1960s, but sometimes I just dont seem to see the same things as the majority on these boards. Plenty on here saying that Ulloa is still settling in, give him 15 or so games and he'll be great etc etc... which I tend to agree with - but so far Ive not been THAT impressed. He's been ok, scored one, missed a few, but hasnt merited a few of the rave reviews some gave him after the first couple of games. Give the lad a chance, but so far Im 50 -50 about him.

Equally, plenty wrote Dobbie off as useless after far less playing time... I thought he looked fairly useful, yet was written off lazy and useless when surely the same argument ("give him 15 or so games") applies?

Ho hum - Im not saying Ulloa isnt worth sticking with, just inetersted in the double standards applied - he's been ok so far, but nothing really special (yet) in my opinion.

Fully agree with this.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Im interested to know, how many weeks/games Ulloa would have to fail to score in before you dismissed him as shit and not worthy of playing ?

Ulloa has impressed me with his overall game. His touch, strength and ability to defend has impressed me. He doesn't have to score a shed load. As long as he is effective for the team i will be happy :)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
From another thread - my thoughts

I like him - he's in the mould that suits our style - good touch, good passer, skillful. Will score loads when we learn to cross better.

Might've helped if we'd kept Noone!!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Might've helped if we'd kept Noone!!

Well, at the time Noone was peripheral to our starting line up, and couldn't cross for toffee... of course, NOW, he's magic for Cardiff. :facepalm:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ulloa has impressed me with his overall game. His touch, strength and ability to defend has impressed me. He doesn't have to score a shed load. As long as he is effective for the team i will be happy :)

I am sure he will come good scoring goals. I certainly hope so. But you cannot tell me if he goes another 6 games without a goal you wont be in the lightest bit worried...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He could end up being our Emile Heskey. Looks like he'll be a good player but i still wish we had signed Chris Woods. Feels like we missed an opportunity when he was here.

Where has this idea come from the we ever had the option to buy him?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Impressed so far. Good all-round game. Should have scored a couple but they'll come. I think possibly Barnes the best option to partner him, they seemed to click against arsenal.

First time I've said it but THIS, Barnes and Ulloa would be my choice of strikers if we play two upfront.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports