Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I know its only been 3 or 4 games, but what is your impression so far of Ulloa

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BTW is it correct that at the Amex, the last game we won from being 1-0 behind was the Doncaster game on teh opening day of last season?

Yes its a real monkey on our backs. Something like 35 games where we have gone 1-0 down and either lost or drawn.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The thing is, he could devlop into a striker who is not necessarily our main goal output. Zamora was very much like that at Fulham. He was a foil to play off.

Cardiffs top scorer has 7 this season, yet they are top. If Ulloa boosts everyone elses goal scoring my taking the brunt of work in the middle then thats also a positive outcome to him signing.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Its going to take 15-20 games for him to bed in, once he has had a preseason he can be judged.

Then we should have got a loan till the end of the season, in that case and signed Ulloa in July, so he had all pre season to settle in. My point being, we haven't got 15-20 games for him to settle in, if we have any ambition's this season. That is not a dig at Ulloa, I think he will be ok, it's just an observation of the position we are in and another £2million quid spent. That makes over £5m on two strikers, when Chris Wood cost a million.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Then we should have got a loan till the end of the season, in that case and signed Ulloa in July, so he had all pre season to settle in. My point being, we haven't got 15-20 games for him to settle in, if we have any ambition's this season. That is not a dig at Ulloa, I think he will be ok, it's just an observation of the position we are in and another £2million quid spent. That makes over £5m on two strikers, when Chris Wood cost a million.

Its not about the fee, its about wages, no doubt Wood is getting a lot more than we could have offered.
And lets face it, Leicester are a strong favorite to go up automatically.
Why would he come here at this stage... he aslo didnt have to re-locate...

It was a no brainer for him to go there

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
IMO he plays very Similar to Berbatov, dropping deep and getting involved in build up play. however this sometimes leaves him a little out of postion as he is bombing forward trying to get in the box.

He also doesnt seem to win to many headers against defenders, great at bringing the ball down and holding up the ball, he can also play football unlike CMS. He has a great touch, can pass and looks pretty decent in the tackle too.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO he plays very Similar to Berbatov, dropping deep and getting involved in build up play. however this sometimes leaves him a little out of postion as he is bombing forward trying to get in the box.

He also doesnt seem to win to many headers against defenders, great at bringing the ball down and holding up the ball, he can also play football unlike CMS. He has a great touch, can pass and looks pretty decent in the tackle too.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He is hardworking and has a physical presence. He controls and lays the ball off pretty well. However I have not seen any real goal threat from him now in a couple of home league games where we have had a good share of possession. He is a completely different style of player to CMS and at the moment there is a 'novelty' value to him for the crowd for it is a while since we had his style of player in the squad. I feel he will be a better team player than CMS but score fewer goals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
not from me you wont ;)
I'm a CMS sceptic myself, but this is nonsense. CMS is not a terrible player, it is simply that he has not given us as much as a £2.5m/senior player should be giving us. In his time at the club, he has been at his best at the beginning of the season after a pre-season break. Perhaps he is the sort of player who just needs a rest from time to time, and a bit of healthy competition?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Thought he did well v arsenal but in the 2 games I've seen him since he hasn't really impressed me to much and I understand he was poor at Sheffield wed.

Main concern is he doesn't seem to be able to take the knocks and dish them out which was what he was touted as, this may come but he does seem a bit soft.

He has shown a few nice touches and that cheeky back heel in the second half was class.

To early to judge though , hoping for better and soon. Looked knackered last night

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
if we were looking to buy a striker to get instant improvement in team's ability to score goals, take chances, and to get us on a winning streak towards the playoffs, I don't think this was the right buy by a long way - GP should have been looking for a short term solution for now for that problem and viewed Ulloa as a long term prospect that might bring rewards sooner than expected - looking at longer term picture though, I rate him highly as he has all the basic skills to score well in this league once he's fully fit and has got a feel for how most teams will inevitably play against us.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Too early to really tell yet but to me he looks a different sort of player to Glenn Murray.

Murray was able - and at times best suited - to playing on his own through the middle in the 433 system Gus seems to favour. Ulloa looks like a striker who would be far better in a traditional striking pairing alongside someone who is more of a goal threat and penalty box forward.

Coincidentally, both Hoskins and Mackail-Smith also look like they would be best suited to playing alongside an Ulloa type in a partnership. Hopefully Poyet will try it over a period of time because last night it looked like the 433 was back, with Hoskins coming in from the left.

I never thought I would say this, but perhaps Barnes may be an ideal partner for Ulloa? He is at his best when playing central and concentrating purely on being in and around the box.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
good potential... can't handle the pace of the english game for 90 mins yet but he will get there in time.

I thought he looked pretty fit last night. He put in a real shift, going wide to both flanks, dropping into deep midfield and coming back to help defence. If that's him not fully fit then he's going to become immense.

Inevitable that this thread was created, but fully agree with those posters who say let's only really judge him next season. There's so many adjustments that he needs to make, that we probably won't see the best of him this season. That said, from what I've seen, I'm pleased he's with us.....

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He's linked up well with Barnes and Hoskins so far (and the rest of the team). Intelligent player. I'm looking forward to him getting a 1 on 1 as I'll actually believe he'll finish in the bottom corner. His layback to Orlandi against Hull was majestic forward play.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He's linked up well with Barnes and Hoskins so far (and the rest of the team). Intelligent player. I'm looking forward to him getting a 1 on 1 as I'll actually believe he'll finish in the bottom corner. His layback to Orlandi against Hull was majestic forward play.

Apart from the fact that if you watch the replay he actually tried to flick it at goal and came back of the defender...

(I think).

But yes, his link up play has looked pretty decent so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here