Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Know I Will Get Slaughtered For This But !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
At the moment Poyet is level with Pat Saward, Barry Lloyd, Peter Taylor and Mark McGhee but behind Alan Mullery. I hope he hangs around though.

If Brighton finish one place above relegation, Poyet would still be above Pat Saward. He's well ahead of Barry Lloyd (one promotion is better than Lloyd's one promotion and two relegations) and Peter Taylor. The only one he hasn't eclipsed is Alan Mullery. Yet.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The problem is, some people genuinely seem to belive we should be tearing up this division and pushing for the Premiership right now.

If this season has somehow failed to live up to your expectations, then I fear you might actually be a bit of a tit.

this

Poyet took over bottom end of League one. End of season had got us out of there. Next season top of league one. Next season, top ten in the league up.

If you have a problem with that record then, with respect, you are a cock.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Personally I think we should sack Poyet, a man who's played at the highest standard of football for most of his career and has seen the players train and play on a regular basis for all the footballing experts on NSC who seem to know more about the game than he ever will, would save us a lot on wages on the long run and we don't have to worry about our manager leaving neither:rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy 10, I don't think people are pissed off with a view that finishing outside the top 6 is a failure. Far from it. I know I'm not. If you said we will have a top ten finish I'd have asked for some of what you are taking.

But we have proved we can beat sides in this division and be up in the mix. The problem is, the last month or so, Gus has been doing some completely stupid things, and this all came to a head yesterday with a 6-0 hammering in the biggest most important game of the season. It took us to be 3-0 down, before Gus got of his arse and tried to do something about it. Either he was too stubborn and arrogant to try and change it at 2-0 (don't forget they'd hit the bar, as well as an incredible save from Brez) or he is incapble of changing the tactics, because they clearly were not working.

We then go on to lose 6-0.

The only plus I can take from yesterday, and I am serious, if that the record books were not re-written again this season, because for West Ham put 10 past us yesterday, the game didn't really need to be that different.

Poyet has proven he has what it takes to be a top manager. But he is now proving that although he has potential, he maybe is incapable of getting anywhere near it. Certainly wouldn't be the first, definatly won't be the last.

There are absolutely no positives from yesterday, it was a complete humiliation. All we can hope is that Gus and the players learn from it and move on. It WAS only one game in 40-odd which has, for the most part, seen us more than hold our own this season.

There's going to be results like that occasionally. We're on a journey, we've certainly not arrived yet. But its been bloody great fun so far getting to where we are, I'm cuffing loving it. Another Playoff tilt next season and I'll be as happy as a pig in shit.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Easy 10, I don't think people are pissed off with a view that finishing outside the top 6 is a failure. Far from it. I know I'm not. If you said we will have a top ten finish I'd have asked for some of what you are taking.

But we have proved we can beat sides in this division and be up in the mix. The problem is, the last month or so, Gus has been doing some completely stupid things, and this all came to a head yesterday with a 6-0 hammering in the biggest most important game of the season. It took us to be 3-0 down, before Gus got of his arse and tried to do something about it. Either he was too stubborn and arrogant to try and change it at 2-0 (don't forget they'd hit the bar, as well as an incredible save from Brez) or he is incapble of changing the tactics, because they clearly were not working.

We then go on to lose 6-0.

The only plus I can take from yesterday, and I am serious, if that the record books were not re-written again this season, because for West Ham put 10 past us yesterday, the game didn't really need to be that different.

Poyet has proven he has what it takes to be a top manager. But he is now proving that although he has potential, he maybe is incapable of getting anywhere near it. Certainly wouldn't be the first, definatly won't be the last.

don't people like you get tired of blowing your own trumpet? Seriously. That's not aimed only at you but really? Gus' record with us is one of constant progression. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
You're taking a gruesome result in isolation though. The fact is, over the course of the season Gus HAS had us playing to our strengths, if he hadn't then I can assure you we would not have been flirting with the top 6 all season.

Its disappointing that it looks like we're not going to make the Playoffs, but at the start of the season my hope was that we'd finish comfortable mid-table, maybe with a chance of Playoffs in the run-in, and thats exactly what we've achieved.

Gus will have learned loads this season, he'll know where we need to strengthen, he'll know who's up to it and who isn't. Next season we just need to build on this one. There's ALWAYS going to be a few grotty scores along the way for us, we're not one of the big guns in this league. JUst take it on the chin and move on - overall, this club is on a MASSIVE upward trajectory, but it ain't all going to happen in 1 or 2 seasons.

Have patience and faith.

I generally agree with what you say - but the gruesome result was down to very strange team selection. My main feeling is one of dissapointment as having unexpectedly got to challenging for the play offs it seems poor team selection has "blown it". At the start of the season i just wanted us to survive and not get relegated but we have surpassed all of that and ulimately in isolation finishing between 12th and 7th is a great season. But on the back of being 4th 3 weeks ago is feels like we have blown it. There are 3 games to go all winnable in my opinion so its not over yet. I think with some interesting comings and goings in the summer we will be contenders.

I think we need to get a striker - i know it wont happen but i would love Kevin Davies for bolton bit of experience etc. Keep mattock, i can see assulin staying especially if we lose vicente and a box to box midfielder + another full back. Not much to ask I know. I think we are close to a very good side and i agree keep the faith. But i was pissed off yesterday - was an expensive day out and my beers and curry didnt taste as good as they should have done!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think yesterday's result brought things back into focus , we're not as good as we think we are but only falling short in a few areas.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If we finish where we are now this is our 9th highest finish in 110 years. That should be the beginning and end of all this discussion, some people really need to get some perspective.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Brighton finish one place above relegation, Poyet would still be above Pat Saward. He's well ahead of Barry Lloyd (one promotion is better than Lloyd's one promotion and two relegations) and Peter Taylor. The only one he hasn't eclipsed is Alan Mullery. Yet.

If Saward had had a tenth of the funds that Poyet has had we would not have come straight back down GR.
Talk about a shoestring budget that old Pat had to work with..

Here are some intrinsic FACTS;

We are nowhere near ready to be promoted to the Premier Division, no matter how desirable that might be. We WOULD get humiliated week in week out, it would be a debacle.
Gus IS still not the finished article either. Tactically, and team selection, and overall management experience are still found wanting.
We won't be losing him to Tottenham or Chelsea, he's probably punching above his weight among many of the club managers he is pit against.
We have some naive young players who might yet mature, but could be demoralised if thrust into the top flight too soon. They actually need more time in this league, and they need more time in the BHA squad. Dunk, Buckley, Noone, Lua Lua, and CMS, possibly Hoskins and Brezovan, and the young lads trying to break through from the reserves. They actually will stand a better chance of making a step up next season.

I'm leaning towards being rather happier we do not go up, and all this buzz and fuzz in this hive is just faded into a memory of how many people want it NOW, based on ...... the success gained so far and so soon.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

We are nowhere near ready to be promoted to the Premier Division, no matter how desirable that might be. We WOULD get humiliated week in week out, it would be a debacle.
Gus IS still not the finished article either. Tactically, and team selection, and overall management experience are still found wanting.
We won't be losing him to Tottenham or Chelsea, he's probably punching above his weight among many of the club managers he is pit against.
We have some naive young players who might yet mature, but could be demoralised if thrust into the top flight too soon. They actually need more time in this league, and they need more time in the BHA squad. Dunk, Buckley, Noone, Lua Lua, and CMS, possibly Hoskins and Brezovan, and the young lads trying to break through from the reserves. They actually will stand a better chance of making a step up next season.

I'm leaning towards being rather happier we do not go up, and all this buzz and fuzz in this hive is just faded into a memory of how many people want it NOW, based on ...... the success gained so far and so soon.

Agreed and looking forward to next season in the championship...although I maybe slaughtered for saying that ..wtfdik

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed and looking forward to next season in the championship...although I maybe slaughtered for saying that ..wtfdik

Bollocks to em. Next season is going to be fantastic. Looking forward to it already.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gus WILL go down as one of our best EVER managers, whether some on here like it or not.

The only question left in my mind is whether he will go down as THE best ever. I think he has a chance over the next few years.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The problem is, some people genuinely seem to belive we should be tearing up this division and pushing for the Premiership right now.

If this season has somehow failed to live up to your expectations, then I fear you might actually be a bit of a tit.

Nail on the head, this is Gus' first experience of managing at this level and he's done rather well all things considered. Let us hope that he is learning from the experiences he's had over the last few months.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

Most of those are not facts. Not even if you type the word in capitals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here