Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I am very proud to be the coach of this club." Oscar Garcia 5th October 2013

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have nothing against Oscar, but it is ridiculous to see people on here going on about how loyal he is based on this statement a few months into the job.

Honestly, what else was he going to say?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But Gus was still with us purely because we improved consistently from the time of his arrival. He was no safer from resilts than any other manager at any other club, though I would expect TB give give anyone a reasonable shot, and not pull the trigger as soon as some clubs do.
Yes we were, but had we been 14th in October under Gus, nobody would be waiting for Tony to pull the trigger, like say a Blackburn or Leeds chairman might.

The moaning Maureen's would still be moaning and calling for his head, but they do that anyway.

I know I'm being too naive, and way too Sussex.
But assuming, Burke, Oscar and Barber, have a good working relationship, I can't see too many other jobs, in football management better than our own.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I would expect TB give give anyone a reasonable shot, and not pull the trigger as soon as some clubs do.

Maybe not but I sense he's a pretty astute businessman and the good ones recognise when they make mistakes and act to put them right.

Of course it would be knee jerk now but I'm not sure how much Oscar is controlling what's going on and making the best of his limited resources. As I said in an earlier post he comes across as a nice bloke and he's got good coaching credentials but I'm worried about his ability to motivate, put fire in the bellies and impose his ways. I find it difficult to believe that much of what I've seen on the pitch is the way it has been told.

Also worried that Oscar constantly appears puzzled and his post match comments don't really reflect what actually occurred. Part of this is just obvious "don't slate the team and keep thinking positive" but I keep asking myself "is he out of his depth?" I genuinely hope not and that once we've got our 'A' players back, things will click quickly and performances will improve.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Big fan of Oscar but saying things like that don't make me like him any more, just as Gus saying he hoped to manage at the highest level while he was with us didn't really affect my thoughts towards him.

Always said it would take at least a few months before we settled into Oscar's style and started performing as he wants us to. But that was without knowing how many important players would get injured, which hampers the process dramatically. Will take the best part of the season now before we start to see the best of Oscar unfortunately. Just hope most fans have patience and can appreciate the current situation and also the bigger picture, and don't turn on him like a few seem to be already.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe not but I sense he's a pretty astute businessman and the good ones recognise when they make mistakes and act to put them right.

Of course it would be knee jerk now but I'm not sure how much Oscar is controlling what's going on and making the best of his limited resources. As I said in an earlier post he comes across as a nice bloke and he's got good coaching credentials but I'm worried about his ability to motivate, put fire in the bellies and impose his ways. I find it difficult to believe that much of what I've seen on the pitch is the way it has been told.

Also worried that Oscar constantly appears puzzled and his post match comments don't really reflect what actually occurred. Part of this is just obvious "don't slate the team and keep thinking positive" but I keep asking myself "is he out of his depth?" I genuinely hope not and that once we've got our 'A' players back, things will click quickly and performances will improve.
I'll give it another read, but my first reaction is, piffle, hogwash and darn'it.

I don't think there was a single sentence I agreed with.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My point is that I prefer a manager who enthuses about being here rather than one who talks about his ambition to better himself at every opportunity. I just hope he can carry on the excellent work Gus did on the pitch.

Your comment that Gus was pushed suggests that we are not going to agree on the way it ended either.

Actions speak louder than words.

Ultimately I want a successful football team, personally I think you are more likely to get one with an ambitious manager than one who is not.

Also football is not a business where loyalty is high on anyone's agenda. Talk is cheap and mamagers and players alike will 99% of the time go to a better time for more money and a higher standard of football given half the chance.

Therefore I like the honesty of someone who is prepared to say that rather than make promises that mean nothing. And given the success Poyet had the fact he was still the seventh longest serving manager in England at the time he was sacked says all I need to hear.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is Oscar actually in a better position to win matches at the moment than Gus was when he was first appointed?

League One is an easier starting point imo, as the quality in this division at the moment is pretty good, but Oscar obviously has better players to work with than Gus did.

Yes Gus had to rebuild a relegation threatened side but then Oscar arrived very late and has been hammered with injuries to arguably our best players.

Gus had a pretty poor record for the first few months of his tenure and Oscar, a couple of good results at QPR and Reading and wins against Birmingham and Bolton apart has also struggled.

Is it fair to say Oscar inherited a team that should have got promoted last year and therefore can be expected to do the same at least this season?

Genuine question, not loaded for either manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alternatively they astutely make the right decision first and don't sign Appleton.

Of course it would be knee jerk now but I'm not sure how much Oscar is controlling what's going on and making the best of his limited resources.
We lost to high flying Forest, competent Ipswich, but did well v QPR & Reading, without a creditable striker.
If Oscar is blocking the signing of a striker then we'll talk about his resource management.
As I said in an earlier post he comes across as a nice bloke and he's got good coaching credentials but I'm worried about his ability to motivate, put fire in the bellies and impose his ways. I find it difficult to believe that much of what I've seen on the pitch is the way it has been told.
Then some of that blame, which I don't agree with has to be put on the players.
Oscar has playing and COACHING credentials that they could only dream about, plus looking like a double 'ard *******.
No he's not, how can he be, he's been in the deep end, he went to the shallow end, and is only now just getting his trunks wet.
Had we been promoted he'd have a tougher job, but second division football with an improved squad, built on a solid foundation, what's not to love.

When this thread comes back in March you be saying somebody hacked your account.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Alternatively they astutely make the right decision first and don't sign Appleton.

We lost to high flying Forest, competent Ipswich, but did well v QPR & Reading, without a creditable striker.
If Oscar is blocking the signing of a striker then we'll talk about his resource management.

Then some of that blame, which I don't agree with has to be put on the players.
Oscar has playing and COACHING credentials that they could only dream about, plus looking like a double 'ard *******.

No he's not, how can he be, he's been in the deep end, he went to the shallow end, and is only now just getting his trunks wet.
Had we been promoted he'd have a tougher job, but second division football with an improved squad, built on a solid foundation, what's not to love.

When this thread comes back in March you be saying somebody hacked your account.

If Oscar doesn't think Barnes is a credible striker then something is pretty wrong with our recruitment drive

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes we were, but had we been 14th in October under Gus, nobody would be waiting for Tony to pull the trigger, like say a Blackburn or Leeds chairman might.

The moaning Maureen's would still be moaning and calling for his head, but they do that anyway.

I know I'm being too naive, and way too Sussex.
But assuming, Burke, Oscar and Barber, have a good working relationship, I can't see too many other jobs, in football management better than our own.

Yes, we now have great infrastructure, and great potential, but I think there is a heavy Albion bias in your statement - not that I can blame that at all. Those working relationships are essential to any club wanting to progress. I know they come in for stick, often unwarranted, but I feel we have good people in the senior positions now, and by all signs, all pulling together.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Oscar actually in a better position to win matches at the moment than Gus was when he was first appointed?

League One is an easier starting point imo, as the quality in this division at the moment is pretty good, but Oscar obviously has better players to work with than Gus did.

Yes Gus had to rebuild a relegation threatened side but then Oscar arrived very late and has been hammered with injuries to arguably our best players.

Gus had a pretty poor record for the first few months of his tenure and Oscar, a couple of good results at QPR and Reading and wins against Birmingham and Bolton apart has also struggled.

Is it fair to say Oscar inherited a team that should have got promoted last year and therefore can be expected to do the same at least this season?

As said I think Oscar has it 'easier' than Gus, because of the 'Barca' possession he's inherited.
But that's not to say he could just stroll in, sit back and watch the victories roll in.
It's been tough, made harder by the walking wounded, with no sign of any let up, but I do think it will click into place much soon that Gus, because the hard yards have already been done.

I can't think which game it was that turned our season, last year, (who did we play before palace) but t'was one where we handed out an arse kicking and that set us up for the run in.
I predict another such performance, perhaps Barnsley followed by Leicester, and from then on we'll have a true reflection of Oscar.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

We're missing just Vicente and Bridge from last season now aren't we? So in essence yes you'd expect Oscar to have the team competing in the top half again, but you just have to come back to the injuries again to see it's not really achievable at the moment.

Gus, up till the playoff second leg, had the team playing to system they knew and understood well, everyone knew their roles and we pretty much knew our best team. Oscar is trying to develop this system to improve on it, but having to do so with key players out and having to shuffle the pack each week explains our stuttering form.

He's tried a few new things that haven't worked, i.e. Bruno covering for the lack of a central creative midfielder in Orlandi/Kemy's absence, but I won't criticise him for trying it. The only worry for me is the shots to shots on target ratio being so bad (72% this season are off target). That is probably a result of us trying more long range shots and not walking it in, but it really does need improving.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, we now have great infrastructure, and great potential, but I think there is a heavy Albion bias in your statement - not that I can blame that at all. Those working relationships are essential to any club wanting to progress. I know they come in for stick, often unwarranted, but I feel we have good people in the senior positions now, and by all signs, all pulling together.
I have just been down the beach staring out at the great expanse of sea, with the high tide lapping at the shore, the sun on my back, birds tweeting in the tree, with no other people or noise, so you'll have to forgive me.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have just been down the beach staring out at the great expanse of sea, with the high tide lapping at the shore, the sun on my back, birds tweeting in the tree, with no other people or noise, so you'll have to forgive me.

Ha. I'm not working this week so am sitting in my conservatory making the most of the sun while it lasts - which won't be much longer by all accounts.Trying to stay off NSC too, but have failed so far.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I am not saying that I'm right, in fact I'm really just posing questions and very happy if my fears are unfounded.

As for bouncing a thread to prove someone was wrong then whatever floats your boat ... being correct 100% of the time is an outstanding gift and I envy you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not saying that I'm right, in fact I'm really just posing questions and very happy if my fears are unfounded.

As for bouncing a thread to prove someone was wrong then whatever floats your boat ... being correct 100% of the time is an outstanding gift and I envy you
I certainly won't be doing the bouncing, even though me being right is a hen's tooth type situation (I am Team CMS, remember).
I just struggle to see specific negatives in Oscar after just 3 turbulent months, on and off the field.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

One man's puzzled is another man's reflective. I was talking about this with my brother on the way to Falmer on Saturday. We agreed that Oscar seems to be reflective and doesn't rush in to saying anything without thinking about it. We also thought that sometimes he almost seems to be thinking before he answers "Why have you asked me such a blankety-blank stupid question, particularly when he might just have been asked a blankety-blank stupid question". I think he is well in his depth.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One man's puzzled is another man's reflective. I was talking about this with my brother on the way to Falmer on Saturday. We agreed that Oscar seems to be reflective and doesn't rush in to saying anything without thinking about it. We also thought that sometimes he almost seems to be thinking before he answers "Why have you asked me such a blankety-blank stupid question, particularly when he might just have been asked a blankety-blank stupid question". I think he is well in his depth.

That's a fair point, and yes I've also noticed that look about daft questions.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When did Gus say it then? He had over three years to force the words out but he didn't because he wasn't.

If he did, I missed it and will be happy to see the link.

You're being lazy Icy. Google it and there's tons of links of Gus saying he is proud. Even after he was fired he said he was proud to manage that group of players. Gus' pride was about his team, the results they achieved, the positions they reached, their performances and style. In the absence of all of that all Oscar has to say is that he's proud to manage the club we support. Nice to say, but can we have some progress on the pitch now please.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You're being lazy Icy. Google it and there's tons of links of Gus saying he is proud. Even after he was fired he said he was proud to manage that group of players. Gus' pride was about his team, the results they achieved, the positions they reached, their performances and style. In the absence of all of that all Oscar has to say is that he's proud to manage the club we support. Nice to say, but can we have some progress on the pitch now please.

I hesitate to carry this on but all the comments I have found from Gus are that he is proud of what he has achieved at Brighton, not proud to be the manager here. There is a big difference imo.

Yes of course he had every reason to be proud of his players, he turned this club around completely and gave us the best football we have seen in my lifetime. Most seem to believe that the football was what it is all about and the touting and press circus didn't matter as long as he produced on the pitch, which he did. I wonder if Bloom was happy with Poyet gobbing off having given him the tools to do what he did and taking the risk in appointing him. Maybe it had nothing to do with the shit hitting the fan at the end but it can't have helped.

Oscar has yet to achieve anything with us and results and some of the performances have been poor, so although I warm to him saying he's proud to be manager here and thanking the fans for sticking by the team this could be seen as a sop. I don't see it that way, but I could of course be wrong and we could end up with a manager who loved us but couldn't produce on the pitch. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment and get the feeling that this is a job he wants rather than a fast track to a better job.

I accept I am out of step with most on here though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here