Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I am very proud to be the coach of this club." Oscar Garcia 5th October 2013

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really really don't care what he says or how he comes across. Bottom line is, I want him to do a good job here, just as Poyet did.

So far, so very very average - but he's had some shocking luck so far, and this isn't his team anyway. As long as he shows some tactical nous (he's been fine so far, apart from a couple of odd personnel decisions) and we don't go down, I'll be quite "happy" this season given our start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He seems like a nice bloke, not much to say for himself and not one for playing to the cameras. Other than that don't really have much of an opinion, waiting to see how good a job he does before deciding which bandwagon to jump on.

A good honest post. In the end, football is a results business, so if he doesn't get results, the fans will turn on him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He had over three years to force the words out but he didn't because he wasn't.

Over three years indeed. Which before he was pushed out made him the seventh most loyal manager in England at that time. So your point is what exactly?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: "I am very proud to be the coach of this club." Oscar Garcia 5th October 2013

Over three years indeed. Which before he was pushed out made him the seventh most loyal manager in England at that time. So your point is what exactly?

I think it was more a case of having his head turned than being pushed out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry everyone, jury out for me. Of course I like to loyalty etc..., but not happy at this moment for a number of reasons. I will pleased when he has a full strength team and any judgement is unfair until then.

I would like to know why we have so many groin injuries this year - I wonder if 'Stretch' is still with the club......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A good honest post. In the end, football is a results business, so if he doesn't get results, the fans will turn on him.
Interestingly, there seem quite a few on here who seem to prefer him to Gus Poyet. Seemingly because Oscar hasn't expressed interest in Chelsea or Leeds. The fact that he hasn't positively transformed the club in 3 years seems not to matter to these people. ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When did Gus say it then? He had over three years to force the words out but he didn't because he wasn't.

If he did, I missed it and will be happy to see the link.

Google it yourself. He didn't come on the pitch to clap the fans as he always felt that the players deserved the applause. The only time he did was at Walsall when we'd sealed the title, but all the staff were on the pitch too. He didn't have much choice at Withdean as he had to walk across the pitch to get back to the dressing room.

He stayed here for twice the average length of time that any manager is at a club and turned down two jobs in the meantime. Just in case, you can't google that, I will remind you of the Uruguayian Under21s and Reading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry everyone, jury out for me. Of course I like to loyalty etc..., but not happy at this moment for a number of reasons. I will pleased when he has a full strength team and any judgement is unfair until then.

I would like to know why we have so many groin injuries this year - I wonder if 'Stretch' is still with the club......

Unfortunately Stretch resigned a few weeks ago, when he was practically the last one to survive the new regime. He had survived at least four previous managers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

My point is that I prefer a manager who enthuses about being here rather than one who talks about his ambition to better himself at every opportunity. I just hope he can carry on the excellent work Gus did on the pitch.

Your comment that Gus was pushed suggests that we are not going to agree on the way it ended either.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Google it yourself. He didn't come on the pitch to clap the fans as he always felt that the players deserved the applause. The only time he did was at Walsall when we'd sealed the title, but all the staff were on the pitch too. He didn't have much choice at Withdean as he had to walk across the pitch to get back to the dressing room.

He stayed here for twice the average length of time that any manager is at a club and turned down two jobs in the meantime. Just in case, you can't google that, I will remind you of the Uruguayian Under21s and Reading.

It's all conjecture though isn't it? Did he stay because he wasn't offered a great job, neither of those you mention come close to what he obviously wanted? There were no better jobs available to him whilst he was here imo and eventually he got impatient and tried to force the issue.

Albion and Gus suited each other until the tail end of last season. I appreciate all Gus did for us on the pitch, I just got very irritated by the end with his constant touting. Some people, maybe you as well, loved it and thought he was a real character who just spoke his mind. I like a manager who prefers to talk about the club he is managing without throwing in the names of the clubs he'd rather manage. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Adams Mark 1 irritated me in the same way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's all conjecture though isn't it? Did he stay because he wasn't offered a great job, neither of those you mention come close to what he obviously wanted? There were no better jobs available to him whilst he was here imo and eventually he got impatient and tried to force the issue.

Albion and Gus suited each other until the tail end of last season. I appreciate all Gus did for us on the pitch, I just got very irritated by the end with his constant touting. Some people, maybe you as well, loved it and thought he was a real character who just spoke his mind. I like a manager who prefers to talk about the club he is managing without throwing in the name of the clubs he'd rather manage. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I didn't mention his motives but the fact is that he turned down two jobs whilst with us. The press knew that he would talk about his love of clubs he had played for and would like to manage which is why they always brought up the subject. We want our managers to behave in an English way but as a South American, he was never going to be like that. Fans will make allowances when results are going well, but when something goes wrong then it's a handy stick.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. Fans will make allowances when results are going well, but when something goes wrong then it's a handy stick.

It's a stick I used even when we were doing well, an original bed wetter I am.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't confuse loyalty with long serving - the motivation for each can be quite different.

Whereas Oscar claiming how much he loves the club is definetely loyalty and not trying to distract attention away from poor performances and results

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a stick I used even when we were doing well, an original bed wetter I am.

It's all down to personalities. I know a colleague whose father is Uruguayan. She doesn't like football but understood exactly where Gus was coming from in his interviews.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's all down to personalities. I know a colleague whose father is Uruguayan. She doesn't like football but understood exactly where Gus was coming from in his interviews.

I lived in Spain for 5 years so I know how pig headed and some would say arrogant Latins can be when they think they are right and are good at something. It's not a great trait but I do understand it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think that's very conservative.

If Gus had a different temperament he'd be finishing off his 4th (?) season, with no sign of a sacking.

Oscar is TB's second statement manager, I can't see his position being questioned for a fair few years.

But Gus was still with us purely because we improved consistently from the time of his arrival. He was no safer from resilts than any other manager at any other club, though I would expect TB give give anyone a reasonable shot, and not pull the trigger as soon as some clubs do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here