"I am very proud to be the coach of this club." Oscar Garcia 5th October 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Haven't a La Liga club already been in for him?

Yes. I agree but I think him only being in the Job for a month or two may have been a reason for his lack of interest. He has only just moved his family here and I think he really wants to give this job ago. But say in a years time Barcelona or some club of that type comes in for him. Why would he not go? Also the club that came in for him sacked their manager after loosing three games. If that's how long they give their manager he would not be there now anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Osasuna enquired, we said no and then Oscar said soemthing to the effect that he wasn't interested anyway.

But he did say he was very flattered.

And he also has moaned about the budget 3 times already.

But he's not Gus, so it's alright :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes. I agree but I think him only being in the Job for a month or two may have been a reason for his lack of interest. He has only just moved his family here and I think he really wants to give this job ago. But say in a years time Barcelona or some club of that type comes in for him. Why would he not go? Also the club that came in for him sacked their manager after loosing three games. If that's how long they give their manager he would not be there now anyway.

Of course he'd be off but hopefully we won't have heard him waxing lyrical about them at every opportunity and dashing around the place to be a pundit on every Barcelona game he can squeeze in :wink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But say in a years time Barcelona or some club of that type comes in for him. Why would he not go?

"Barcelona or some club of that type" - so thats them and, err, Real Madrid then. Yup, rightly or wrongly I think an offer from one of them might just turn Oscars head, to be fair.

As far as stating the absolutely bleeding obvious goes, thats got to be up there with a Mark Bright-ism.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
"Barcelona or some club of that type" - so thats them and, err, Real Madrid then. Yup, rightly or wrongly I think an offer from one of them might just turn Oscars head, to be fair.

As far as stating the absolutely bleeding obvious goes, thats got to be up there with a Mark Bright-ism.

Blimey don't get uptight. I was only pointing out that most fans aren't stupid enough to believe that manager will not leave to better themselves if they can. Just that most of the time, out of respect they quietly get on with the job they have until an approach is made.

See no need to get your pants in a twist.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blimey don't get uptight. I was only pointing out that most fans aren't stupid enough to believe that manager will not leave to better themselves if they can. Just that most of the time, out of respect they quietly get on with the job they have until an approach is made.

See no need to get your pants in a twist.

I'm perfectly relaxed old chap, my pants are snugly in place. I was only pointing out that your remark about Barcelona does pretty much go without saying. There isn't a manager on this planet who wouldn't sell his own daughter to a Somalian pirate and cut off his own thumbs if it meant he could go and manage Barca.

"Oscar, its Barcelona on the phone for you, they've just binned Martino...what shall I say ?"
"Ehhhh...tell them maybe I speak with them after the Oakwell"

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: "I am very proud to be the coach of this club." Oscar Garcia 5th October 2013

Haven't heard any moaning.

He did comment that he hadn't experience of managing the budget though.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I'm perfectly relaxed old chap, my pants are snugly in place. I was only pointing out that your remark about Barcelona does pretty much go without saying. There isn't a manager on this planet who wouldn't sell his own daughter to a Somalian pirate and cut off his own thumbs if it meant he could go and manage Barca.

"Oscar, its Barcelona on the phone for you, they've just binned Martino...what shall I say ?"
"Ehhhh...tell them maybe I speak with them after the Oakwell"

Fair enough. But being compared to a palace toss pot was a bit uncalled for. I don't care what it was for.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair enough. But being compared to a palace toss pot was a bit uncalled for. I don't care what it was for.

I can see your point, on reflection that was a little rash on my part.
I should have left Mark Bright out of it, nobody should have to put up with being compared to him. Apologies.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I think there is a difference between "moaning about the budget", a la comments about reaching the ceiling, and recognising the limitations of the budget, which might mean just that he has "got the message". I am sure the subject will have come up in any recruitment process in answer to the "can I buy Lionel Messi from my old chums at Barcelona?" question.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Oska should not be blamed for our present situation as it now appears that Gus was made aware that cash was not available to build the sort of team he wanted so it was understandable that he started to look around,his replacement would be clearly advised of our financial limits so by agreeing to accept the position he new the limits on signings, no doubt his salary would be much lower than the previous manager due to his limited experience.
Our chairman who has been most generous has after two seasons found it necessary to reduce expenditure which has resulted in staff cuts and the decision to close the club shop in town, we owe it to him to support the team in the Championship and not add to our problems by pressing for the Premiership,it would be tragic if the Amex became a White Elephant.
Be thankful for what we have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But honesty in isolation doesn't necessarily equate to ethical behaviour. If you are 'unnecessarily honest' to the point of being disrespectful of your employer and those who ultimately pay your wages then that is not ethical. The trouble with honesty is, that apart from a few absolute truths, it is subjective.

He was honest right from the very start. I was at a sponsors dinner within 5 months of him joining us when he spoke of how much he loved being at Chelsea and that it was his ambition to go there again one day.
People only started calling it disrespectful when it suited their agendas.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why should Mellotron twist anything? It's there for anyone to read without too much searching.

I guess because he has an agenda to try and make out that Oscar moans about budgets as much as Poyet. The follow on from this is the conclusion that Poyet moaned about budgets no more than any other manager.

We all know that the charismatic Poyet can do no wrong in some quarters, but personally I still have a very deep feeling of let down and betrayal by him at the end.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports