Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia Out or In

Hyypia Out or In

• Total voters

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Moved from out to the fence after seeing small glimmers of tactical improvement. Possibly too little too late

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would move back to IN if we spent money bringing in a loan striker rather than Al Habsi, good goalkeeper but why? He cannot play against Norwich as he will be with Oman so whatever loan fee for a maximum of 2 games. Why?

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I normally back the manager but I honestly don't think SH knows what he's doing.

Sorry but the club is bigger than any individual.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's interesting that he said he wouldn't change the way we were playing.

Well he's done the opposite, started playing full backs in their correct positions and we pick up four points in two games.

Who decided we'd change the way we play? Him, Jones, the players?

He's been very unlucky (Stephens, March, Crofts and Bruno) and it's not his fault we've sold an £8 million striker and not replaced .

After Rotherham I was 100% in the 'out' camp. Now probably slightly less so. But not much, and it doesn't matter, Bloom has more patience than me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem for those feeling smug about Sami going, is that we will be paying his wages for the next couple of years whatever.

But... the problem for everyone is that we're heading for League One and an empty stadium like this...

I'm not smug, I'm very disappointed that, in my opinion, it hasn't worked out.

I was quite firmly out after Rotherham, but am now back on the fence. Since Hyypia realised that the wing back system was taking us straight to relegation, we don't seem quite as easy to cut open. However, today showed to me that the main problem is the board or recruitment team's complete failure to find a proper replacement for Ulloa (FFP, yes I know, same old, same old, but sometimes you just have to pay the going rate). A 5'7" striker playing up on his own clearly isn't the answer. At least we didn't just sit back and invite them on to us as we apparently did against Wigan (I wasn't there), but when we did come forward, there was no-one in the box, or if there was it was Baldock drifting out wide each time, meaning his two markers had nothing to do. Hyypia's tactics still aren't right, but I don't think he can take the blame alone.

Who is available that is similar to Ulloa then and that we can afford without spending the whole of the £8m we got from him. To a certain degree, you have to accept that we found a gem in Ulloa, likewise going back all to the days of Ward, Saunders, Nogan, Nelson, Zamora etc etc. Not all players are easily replaceable.

We need Dale Stephens in place of Gardner and maybe even Kemy instead of JFC. I don't think JFC has played too badly mind you, but our midfield just isn't right at the moment. And why does Baldock keep drifting so far wide? Get in there, son!

Kemy for JFC! You have to be joking. We are already carrying Gardiner, play Kemy and it would be even worse.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Who is available that is similar to Ulloa then and that we can afford without spending the whole of the £8m we got from him. To a certain degree, you have to accept that we found a gem in Ulloa, likewise going back all to the days of Ward, Saunders, Nogan, Nelson, Zamora etc etc. Not all players are easily replace.

What is more expensive, £10 million on a striker or relegation?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
'In' for me but edging closer to fence. I can see what he's trying to do but there's just some odd tactical choices I can't quite figure out. I've said these all before but they bear repeating:

- playing wingers and then funnelling play through the middle
- long balls to midgets
- the Greer and Dunk All Star Pass-O-Rama show
- odd substitutions. Today for instance, why a straight Baldock/O'Grady swap? I'd have taken off JFC and left Baldock on. Of course by that point he'd already taken JFC off for another winger to play though the middle. And, on that note, bring on Tex instead of McCourt. His pace and trickery might have just unsettled a slow Blackburn defence.

I want to see him succeed, I really do, but he's got to address a couple of things.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Regrettable as it is, I have to say 'out'. I don't see long-term success with him in the role.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Who is available that is similar to Ulloa then and that we can afford without spending the whole of the £8m we got from him. To a certain degree, you have to accept that we found a gem in Ulloa, likewise going back all to the days of Ward, Saunders, Nogan, Nelson, Zamora etc etc. Not all players are easily replaceable.

Of course by a replacement I am not suggesting we can get someone as good - clearly we were very fortunate in unearthing him, but we badly need someone with far greater strength, presence and height than Baldock, who can unsettle the bulky centre halves who dominate Championship defences. Many will disagree, but we are also badly missing Ashley Barnes, who was a more than able deputy when Ulloa was injured.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What is more expensive, £10 million on a striker or relegation?

I don't think relegation to League 1 is disastrous enough to risk £10 million. We've been there enough times before in our history and enjoyed a load of good seasons, even when playing at the shittest ground in the football league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two very good posts on this page -- with different viewpoints -- from Guinness Boy and Bold Seagull. I remain of the view that there are too many managerial changes these days, so will vote in. I'm starting to have reservations, but my key point all along is about the strikers. Baldock has qualities: his movement is good, and he shoots early, but his goalscoring is off the back of playing two up-front alongside a big man. We're never going to do that, as much as many on here want it.
Colunga I like, but he's just too small and weak to play at the apex of a trident; we could say the same for Baldock.
O'Grady won't get us near the play-off positions.
Alan Wares on the Albion Roar said today that CMS' second touch is usually a tackle, and that just about sums him up. His contract is up in the summer, and he's just not worth a renewal, which is a shame because he tries his heart out, and is a good guy.
I hope Burke is scouring Europe for a January signing a la Ulloa.

Good post

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Out.

Terrible manager who is out of his depth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the time is fast approaching when we have to reassess our striker situation and cut our losses and sell if possible CMS, Baldock and O Grady as it appear none of them are good enough for The Champion ship, much to my disappointment as I though CMS and Baldock played together looked promising.

I think we need to look into Eastern Europe or Spain for a striker who will be cheaper than an English equivalent.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
This seems a natural point to say goodbye and thank you but it really isn't working out. Yesterday was poor - there doesn't appear to be a leader in the team (on or off the pitch) and at times we looked clueless. Enough is enough.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He has to go, along with Jones, and if Bloom values Championship survival, they have to go now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here