Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hysteria about hot weather on UK news programmes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm looking forward to the end of the heatwave and violent thunder storms. Cant see forecasts predicting that anytime soon.
Not great fun if you work outside like me.

Apart from one day so far, WHAT heatwave???

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Personally I feel they have a duty of care to nowadays. Perhaps begin a campaign? It’s a bit like not providing hi vis vests and other safety gear. And it’s not exactly cheap if you’re having to slip slap slop daily.

Maybe the employer would claim that they included the cost of sun protection in the salary? :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe the employer would claim that they included the cost of sun protection in the salary? :shrug:

Don’t be daft, no employer will claim that if someone were to ask it be considered. Its just a thing to perhaps consider if you’re able to and a good employer looking after welfare of outdoor workforces given the times we now live in

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[/B]

Likewise….although perhaps a few years earlier…holiday was always down to Devon or Cornwall…days on say Woolacombe beach, building sand castles and getting burnt….result, the receptionist at the local hospital addresses me by name before I’ve said anything, as I rock up for another appointment with Dermatology

Sorry to hear this, yes, my brother and I similarly. I vividly remember having skin peeling competitions with him as skin healed and fell off over the days and weeks later! It was agony - before we were put into our NYLON T-shirts! :lolol: The 70s eh, such innocent times, with potentially deadly consequences many of us are only beginning to realise now. So if you’re a young ‘un reading this, especially fair skinned, get the factor 50 on every day Easter through to September. RIP Sean Lock, taken far too early.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I timed my leave perfectly. Really enjoying this weather. Nice loose clothing, sun block, big hat, plenty of water, rehydration sachets a couple of times a day…good as gold.

People are too quick to get the shorts and vest tops on to show off. Much better off wearing nice loose linens and cotton. Keeps one much cooler than shorts and vest. And protects much better from the sun. Take a tip from the Bedouin, it’s all loose robes and head cover.

My permanently bewildered neighbour just came home from his factory job, wearing jeans with a thick t-shirt tucked in. And was complaining of the heat!

Lancing ring was superb this afternoon and low tide soon, for an evening stroll.
Genuinely love it. The hotter the better.

It’s about clothing, sun shield and hydration.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry to hear this, yes, my brother and I similarly. I vividly remember having skin peeling competitions with him as skin healed and fell off over the days and weeks later! It was agony - before we were put into our NYLON T-shirts! :lolol: The 70s eh, such innocent times, with potentially deadly consequences many of us are only beginning to realise now. So if you’re a young ‘un reading this, especially fair skinned, get the factor 50 on every day Easter through to September. RIP Sean Lock, taken far too early.

Oh skin peeling contest …my Mum used to love doing that during the evenings of our caravan holidays :moo:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
C96EE834-A78E-4425-94F3-374B0C998F75.jpeg

I find these very helpful. Can find them in most supermarkets quite cheap. Couple of quid for a pack of 6. Replaces all the minerals you lose in the heat through sweating. Mix with water. Obviously.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How does everyone cope with holidays in hot climates, or God forbid live in a hot climate.

FFS!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where are you based!? I find the hysteria laughable but it's very hot and humid in the south east..

The South East too, this afternoon has got hot admittedly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How does everyone cope with holidays in hot climates, or God forbid live in a hot climate.

FFS!

Went to Dubai back in ‘99. Was indoors from 11am til 4pm most days. At the villa or in a restaurant etc. Enjoyed the beach in early morning and late evening.
I think it got to 43 / 44. That was in May

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
One difference could be that due to the normal climate in the UK, buildings are designed to, for example, hold heat better than, say, Mediterranean buildings which have a different normal climate/average temperature and humidity. Therefore when the weather is unseasonably different, it can feel very uncomfortable despite it being what we might experience comfortably elsewhere.

My dad had a place in Cyprus for a number of years and it was freezing in winter as the design standards there were to deal with heat as a day to day thing.

My theory might be guff, of course (particularly as I have Covid at the moment)!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
One difference could be that due to the normal climate in the UK, buildings are designed to, for example, hold heat better than, say, Mediterranean buildings which have a different normal climate/average temperature and humidity. Therefore when the weather is unseasonably different, it can feel very uncomfortable despite it being what we might experience comfortably elsewhere.

My dad had a place in Cyprus for a number of years and it was freezing in winter as the design standards there were to deal with heat as a day to day thing.

My theory might be guff, of course (particularly as I have Covid at the moment)!

It's more than a theory - we're simply not geared-up for extremes (heat or cold).

Get well soon, btw.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Not just you, Icy.

Anyone remember 76? Now that was hot. And dry. A young Beefy Botham dazzling in his whites. Plagues of ladybirds. And the old bat I worked with had, only months before, been bleating 'we're going into another Ice Age'.

That was a hot and long summer. Not to mention the drought,apparently 16 months it lasted. Having to go to the top of the road to get water from a standpipe!
https://www.rmets.org/metmatters/recalling-1976-drought-40-years

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very close and hot tonight. I normally get a breeze off the sea as there are no buildings between me and the beach but it’s so still there’s no relief.

Might but an air con unit for the bedroom. A mate brought one yesterday and he’s loving it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here