Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hysteria about hot weather on UK news programmes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just my luck, I have to be in central London next Monday when record temperatures are expected, and when the afternoon tide at Herne Bay is perfectly favourable for a swim. Boo. BOO!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I adore this weather because everything's so much easier to deal with than 'a big freeze' in winter with snow potentially lasting a few weeks.

- Putting on jeans, coats, sweaters just to keep warm.
- Potentially slipping on roads or pavements because they haven't been gritted.
- Lack of blood flow to feet, hands etc through being anaemic.
- Dark evenings and bills costing fortunes in the winter (especially with the Russian war in Ukraine ongoing likely).

Sure, it sucks at night with all the windows open and still 20C outside but keep drinking the water/orange squash, wear a baseball cap outside to protect the thinning hair or anyone bald. And embrace it!

Summer - I love you! :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very close and hot tonight. I normally get a breeze off the sea as there are no buildings between me and the beach but it’s so still there’s no relief.

Might but an air con unit for the bedroom. A mate brought one yesterday and he’s loving it.

Till the electric bill arrives on the mat...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I adore this weather because everything's so much easier to deal with than 'a big freeze' in winter with snow potentially lasting a few weeks.

- Putting on jeans, coats, sweaters just to keep warm.
- Potentially slipping on roads or pavements because they haven't been gritted.
- Lack of blood flow to feet, hands etc through being anaemic.
- Dark evenings and bills costing fortunes in the winter (especially with the Russian war in Ukraine ongoing likely).

Sure, it sucks at night with all the windows open and still 20C outside but keep drinking the water/orange squash, wear a baseball cap outside to protect the thinning hair or anyone bald. And embrace it!

Summer - I love you! :clap2:

Don't think we have seen any significant snow in the last few years near the south coast. Another example of global warming.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Japan's not known for being a hot country but it regularly pushes 40C in summer here. I have aircons in every room but I've found just a simple oscillating electric fan can really help when you're knocking around 30C. You can buy a nice standing one like this one for like 30 of your English pounds:

81KSGgCesmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A small investment for increased comfort during increasingly hot UK summers. And the summers are only gonna get hotter.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
One difference could be that due to the normal climate in the UK, buildings are designed to, for example, hold heat better than, say, Mediterranean buildings which have a different normal climate/average temperature and humidity. Therefore when the weather is unseasonably different, it can feel very uncomfortable despite it being what we might experience comfortably elsewhere.

My dad had a place in Cyprus for a number of years and it was freezing in winter as the design standards there were to deal with heat as a day to day thing.

My theory might be guff, of course (particularly as I have Covid at the moment)!

Agree- particularly UK new build properties are highly insulated for winter. My flat is about 5 years old and it is roasting in hot weather. Bedroom is 25 degrees at night and only sleepable if there is a decent breeze. I have invested in a fan which has improved nights a lot.

Building Regulations have changed since June this year to require that new dwelling incorporate measures to address ‘overheating’ - not sure how much it will do as the high insulation standards are still required to reduce energy usage in the winter, and the overheating measures seem to be mainly additional ventilation eg wall vents. Maybe air con will become more common in future..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Till the electric bill arrives on the mat...

They’re really not that expensive, I’ve been told anyway.
The units are expensive though. I’m going to try the fan with a big bowl of ice in front of it first. I have been told it works really well .

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Agree- particularly UK new build properties are highly insulated for winter. My flat is about 5 years old and it is roasting in hot weather. Bedroom is 25 degrees at night and only sleepable if there is a decent breeze. I have invested in a fan which has improved nights a lot.

Building Regulations have changed since June this year to require that new dwelling incorporate measures to address ‘overheating’ - not sure how much it will do as the high insulation standards are still required to reduce energy usage in the winter, and the overheating measures seem to be mainly additional ventilation eg wall vents. Maybe air con will become more common in future..

In exactly the same situation with our 9 year old flat. Probably only turn the heating on for one or two weeks a year, but summer is horrible.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I believe even a strong air con unit on all day, only amounts to a quid a day.

Worth it in these conditions!

Whoever told you that is lying. I know a millionaire who even cringes at the bills, he said it’s not the installation costs but the running thereafter.

Personally I feel it’s literally adding fuel to the fire in terms of climate change and I refuse to go there and happier to sweat instead. Got to draw the line somewhere, at least until renewable energy powers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It always was.

Whilst Spain, Portugal and SW France endure near record temperatures, again, and swathes of countryside/wildlife/homes are destroyed by fires.

This isn’t pleasant 20C’s sunbathing weather.

I hate heat. Traditional summer holiday, now looking at going north rather than south. Exploring Scandinavia etc. Cannot understand anyone wanting to visit Spain, Greece etc beaches. Some of the cities must be hellish too. And the humidity in the tropics…Glad I visited India, Far East etc decades ago because it ain’t no fun above 30 degrees with 97% humidity never mind 35, or even 40 as is now regular. People must really be suffering in those conditions, even of you are a local rather than a tourist. And people moan about working during a 2 week heatwave here when we hit 30! Try being a rickshaw cabbie in the tropics without a social security net too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They’re really not that expensive, I’ve been told anyway.
The units are expensive though. I’m going to try the fan with a big bowl of ice in front of it first. I have been told it works really well .

Cold beer. Beer is the answer.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I believe even a strong air con unit on all day, only amounts to a quid a day.

Worth it in these conditions!

Portable aircon units are typically about 1.5kW, so lets say that 'all day' means about 15 hours, that's 22.5kWh/day. At the current price cap of 28.34p/kWh, that's £6.40 / day... :eek:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Record breaking heat is nothing to celebrate.

Whilst climate change many make Sussex have a climate similar to the Champagne region of France, for the world on the fringes of habitation its an absolute disaster. And those disasters will be washing up on our shores more and more...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hate heat. Traditional summer holiday, now looking at going north rather than south. Exploring Scandinavia etc. Cannot understand anyone wanting to visit Spain, Greece etc beaches. Some of the cities must be hellish too. And the humidity in the tropics…Glad I visited India, Far East etc decades ago because it ain’t no fun above 30 degrees with 97% humidity never mind 35, or even 40 as is now regular. People must really be suffering in those conditions, even of you are a local rather than a tourist. And people moan about working during a 2 week heatwave here when we hit 30! Try being a rickshaw cabbie in the tropics without a social security net too.

A similar story for many folk I know. In teens and 20's sun-worshipping, the darker the tan the better.

Then realising there's so much more to see in the world, plus avoiding skin cancer/ageing.

We've now been to every Scandinavian nation except Denmark, and circa 40 trips to The Alps including in summer. Stunning parts of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here