[News] Hysteria about hot weather on UK news programmes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Record breaking heat is nothing to celebrate.

Whilst climate change many make Sussex have a climate similar to the Champagne region of France, for the world on the fringes of habitation its an absolute disaster. And those disasters will be washing up on our shores more and more...

Exactly.

Also ecosystems destroyed, complimentary fauna/flora put out of kilter, the spread of disease and drought wiping out native tree species, crops scorched.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly.

Also ecosystems destroyed, complimentary fauna/flora put out of kilter, the spread of disease and drought wiping out native tree species, crops scorched.

Only a matter of time before we see 40c in the UK. The famous summer of 1976 reported a mere 35.9c max

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's not air conditioning - it's a 'swamp cooler', essentially a fancy packaging of a fan with a bowl of ice-water infront of it...

Proper aircon cools and dries the air (hence the need for a vent to the outside, like a tumble drier).

Nicer than air conditioning in a lot of ways. Living in Australia air con gives me a sore throat from the drier air. Evaporative cooling much better in all but the hottest temps (40+). We have this ducted from a large unit on the roof.

Better for the environment too I believe.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nicer than air conditioning in a lot of ways. Living in Australia air con gives me a sore throat from the drier air. Evaporative cooling much better in all but the hottest temps (40+). We have this ducted from a large unit on the roof.

Better for the environment too I believe.

Do they have to do a load of stuff to prevent that from being legionella hazard?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do they have to do a load of stuff to prevent that from being legionella hazard?

I think there are safety standards in their manufacture but to be honest with you this is the first I have heard of the issue.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
The 1976 heatwave was all over the papers then.

Old timers - stop making out it was never an issue back then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Old timer here (haven’t said it wasn’t) ..if memory serves me correct (forgive me if not ..I am old) ..wasn’t 76 a combination of a long period of hot weather combined with ‘drought’ conditions

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only a matter of time before we see 40c in the UK. The famous summer of 1976 reported a mere 35.9c max

The Met say it could happen in the next week. It may well not, but the fact that they suggested there is a small chance shows we are not far off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The hysteria is now being shared by passport delays. Mate of mine applied on line a few days ago for a renewal, it arrived this morning

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but Channel 5 recently had a programme on about the Summer of ‘76. Great nostalgia and some good footage of Brighton from that summer. Think it is still available on catch up.

With stunning originality, they called the programme “Heatwave”. Must have taken ages to think of that….

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
We got through the Summer of 76 - no men wearing shorts, no aircon - you just rolled up yr Brutus jeans and took yr Simon shirt off for a bit......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Was it not all over the papers due to it being a rare event.

Now it's all over the papers due to it being an annual event.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s these extremes, rain and drought too, that are doing damage. As much as the 1C and increasing overall global warming.

France and Canada just two examples, historically rare high extremes are now beaten commonplace.

0FFB6F96-AF37-431F-B3FD-D3CB71BF865F.png

UV gives the tan for those seeking that, temperatures in the 40C’s are of no benefit to anyone, far from it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Old timer here (haven’t said it wasn’t) ..if memory serves me correct (forgive me if not ..I am old) ..wasn’t 76 a combination of a long period of hot weather combined with ‘drought’ conditions

We’d also not developed our water supply infrustructure quickly enough to cope with growing demand and population. Sussex example being Ardingly reservoir, which I remember being dug then bit too late for 76

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but Channel 5 recently had a programme on about the Summer of ‘76. Great nostalgia and some good footage of Brighton from that summer. Think it is still available on catch up.

With stunning originality, they called the programme “Heatwave”. Must have taken ages to think of that….

Does what it says on the tin though!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The hysteria is now being shared by passport delays. Mate of mine applied on line a few days ago for a renewal, it arrived this morning

Exactly my experience. Less than 10days, all of which I received an email telling me where in the chain it was. A better more efficient service you couldn’t asked for. Just shows what a load of old shite gets hyped up out there and everyone believes it. The internet. When will we learn eh?!!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Don't think we have seen any significant snow in the last few years near the south coast. Another example of global warming.

That's true. I can't remember really bad snow since the winters of 2010 and 2011.

But getting up in the dark with a nice warm duvet while the heating hasn't kicked in yet is SO difficult. At the moment, a cool shower and drying off in a couple of minutes into easy to wear clothes saves so much time. I can't remember getting up any later than 8am at weekends for months now.

The summer goes so quickly and flies by now. :down: When I was a kid, I hated no football in June and July. You know autumn's not too far off when the Premier League's usually back for another season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports