Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hysteria about hot weather on UK news programmes

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So it's going to get up to 30oC?

Snigger all you like from Geelong, but I bloody love the spring/summer/start of autumn we have down here on the south east coast. Loads of sun generally, but mostly comfortably warm low to mid 20s with occasional heatwaves thrown in. Spent a few years living in various places with bloody hot summers and much prefer it here. Winter perhaps not but I enjoy the change of seasons so all good too :)

taz

Feb 18, 2015
The glorious summer of 1976 unbroken sunshine for 3 months, most days 28c, two weeks of over 30c peaking at 35c,, 20c average night time,,, fast forward 2022 temperature hits 30c for a weekend disastrous climate change 🤔

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Not just you, Icy.

Anyone remember 76? Now that was hot. And dry. A young Beefy Botham dazzling in his whites. Plagues of ladybirds. And the old bat I worked with had, only months before, been bleating 'we're going into another Ice Age'.

Remember it well - we were given permission to remove our tie at work. First time ever.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not just you, Icy.

Anyone remember 76? Now that was hot. And dry. A young Beefy Botham dazzling in his whites. Plagues of ladybirds. And the old bat I worked with had, only months before, been bleating 'we're going into another Ice Age'.

Botham played a couple of ODIs but failed to make an impact. An interesting point was that first of those was played at Scarborough. I believe they still use it as an out ground. The outfield at The Oval looked like it had been mowed by a combine harvester, as did Brian Close's midriff.

On the original post. The Met have said there is a small possibility it could reach 40c. I think hell must have frozen though over because the Daily Express were right...

Take care folks, and think of any vulnerable people you know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The glorious summer of 1976 unbroken sunshine for 3 months, most days 28c, two weeks of over 30c peaking at 35c,, 20c average night time,,, fast forward 2022 temperature hits 30c for a weekend disastrous climate change ��

And how do the summers of '74, '75, '77, '78 compare with the last 5 years from 2018?

I'd wager at least 4p there would be an even greater differential between temperatures for the same winter dates.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And how do the summers of '74, '75, '77, '78 compare with the last 5 years from 2018?

I'd wager at least 4p there would be an even greater differential between temperatures for the same winter dates.

what does the data say? confused about winter reference. last few summers have been mild, so this is our glorious variable weather right?
problem is the media will trott out a climate scientist that will say the hot weather for one weekend is evidence of climate change, when people can remember other hot periods. so the climate != weather argument gets distorted.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what does the data say? confused about winter reference. last few summers have been mild, so this is our glorious variable weather right?
problem is the media will trott out a climate scientist that will say the hot weather for one weekend is evidence of climate change, when people can remember other hot periods. so the climate != weather argument gets distorted.

Do you genuinely think we have variable weather?

We have one of the most temperate climates on the planet, and even that is changing.

Off to work now but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to pick up this baton.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
This time last week I was sat in 30+ heat on Mission Beach in San Diego talking to my mates girlfriend. Everyone enjoying the warm sun, playing in the surf & sand etc, not bothered at all about the heat....it was glorious.
We had just seen the news about a possible heatwave hitting over here, & I said to her that within days the media would be jumping on it - & things would start grinding to a halt because the UK just cant cope with heat.

First thing I saw on the news headlines this morning?......."Train lines catch fire in 30 degree UK MELTDOWN"

FFS....:wozza:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
To save anyone scrolling back, this thread can best be summarised as

View attachment 149593

I was going to say I can't wait until I'm in my 50s / 60s / 70s so I can lecture 'da yoot' about how much hotter the Summer of 20XX was compared to now but then realised that by the time I'm in my 50s / 60s / 70s our climate could well be so f**ked that 'da yoot' might actually have a point.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Screenshot_20220712-080151_Chrome.jpg

Aarrrrrrrggggghhhh, we're trapped in a freak pressure cooker!!!! :mad:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
[tweet]1546536565299707904[/tweet]

I’m aware I’m running the risk of being called a bedwetter/snowflake but it is likely to be very hot next Sunday/Monday.

It's very odd that people need this stuff explaining to them!

This time last week I was sat in 30+ heat on Mission Beach in San Diego talking to my mates girlfriend. Everyone enjoying the warm sun, playing in the surf & sand etc, not bothered at all about the heat....it was glorious.
We had just seen the news about a possible heatwave hitting over here, & I said to her that within days the media would be jumping on it - & things would start grinding to a halt because the UK just cant cope with heat.

First thing I saw on the news headlines this morning?......."Train lines catch fire in 30 degree UK MELTDOWN"

FFS....:wozza:

That's because people were having fun on the beach for few hours, going in to the sea to cool off then going home to air conditioned houses, sounds like fun. Back in the real world where people are working, often in places (like our houses) that are designed to retain and not lose heat and then going back to those houses that are designed to retain and not lose heat, life is not as much fun. As alluded to above, our infrastructure simply is not designed to cope with these temperatures. The reason why some people bang on about '76 so much? It was very very rare. These days it's becoming less so.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not just you, Icy.

Ah yes, 'Global Cooling', it was a bit of a thing in the 1970s. All the pollution was preventing the sun's rays from reaching Earth, temperatures were going to plummet and we'd be in another Ice Age before we knew it. I do believe the theories around it have been disproved before any climate change denier tries to use it as a counter-argument to the prevailing orthodoxy.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Don't know which media you are listening to, but no actual climate scientist would mix up 'climate' and 'weather'. They can safely leave that to people on the internet and radio phone-ins.

maybe we need a bit of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not just you, Icy.

Yep, it was very hot and dry for a long period of time.
Very few cars had air con and it was a case of windows open and streaming hayfever for me.
I was working for a brewery at the time and there was trouble keeping up with the demand for lager and the antiquated cellar cooling systems in many pubs couldn’t cope with the heat and broke down, meaning the beer couldn’t be served, much to the frustration of publicans and thirsty customers.
Going back further, when I were a lad, 1959 was damn hot as well.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For me, one of the things which can make the difference to the unpleasantness of the heat here in blighty is that it can often be humid with it, whereas in the Med, for example, my perception is that you don't tend to get that, or very rarely, meaning the heat is more bearable (IMO). Tried to word that carefully as I don't want to get into a war of words (and maybe facts!) with anyone! :lol:

I'm unaware how humid it is out at the moment as I caught Covid the other day (I think at the Komedia) so trying to work through it, indoors, while wondering if the new BHA kit is going to be lush or an abomination!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here