Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Huw Edwards

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Re The Sun.
The paper said it has evidence that the man/woman sold pictures when they were 17.
It’s been reported 18 is the cut off when it comes to legality.
Stripping away the “the sun lies” hysteria for a moment, it’s fantasy to think they would have published that story if they didn’t have evidence. Yes the paper has done bad things over the years, but on the whole their output on controversial stories like this is heavily legalled. This story was worded in such a way that it had clearly been legalled.
It’ll be Interesting to hear what the sun says about this. It‘s highly unlikely it is a case of them simply making it up cos they’re evil people doing evil things, as entertaining an explanation as that is.
Really, like their coverage of the Hillsborough disaster?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst I see your point, this is clearly very out of character for him and has been an ongoing issue with his health. Unless new evidence comes out, then I think he is in a very dark place currently. This can push someone over the edge and that is just disgusting in my book. Would not be bothered if he was clearly a scumbag, but in this case, it's yet again the right wing scum papers who love partnering with the extreme anti BBC nut jobs peddling their love for nonce stories to sell papers and push their anti BBC agenda. The BBC is liked by the educated and the uneducated see it as some kind of dangerous dodgy organisation.
How do you know it was ‘clearly very out of character’?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Murdoch in the UK...

The Sun
The Times
The Sunday Times
Talk Sport
Talk Radio
Times Radio
Talk TV

FFS lets have some laws on cross media ownership
Once Murdoch passes away, Newscorp shareholders won't be as fond of propping up loss making British outlets. The Sun is his pride and joy and owning The Times of London is an ego trip.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
It appears The Sun have breached privacy laws to publish. Not for reasons of substantial public interest, but merely to interest the public. They've potentially destroyed a person's career and have embroiled his whole family in to it, with all the media attention and embarrassment that entails.

I'm shocked that I'm not shocked by all this. However, it's a Murdoch publication and his stewardship of the media has long since defined the gutter press.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I see your point, this is clearly very out of character for him and has been an ongoing issue with his health. Unless new evidence comes out, then I think he is in a very dark place currently. This can push someone over the edge and that is just disgusting in my book. Would not be bothered if he was clearly a scumbag, but in this case, it's yet again the right wing scum papers who love partnering with the extreme anti BBC nut jobs peddling their love for nonce stories to sell papers and push their anti BBC agenda. The BBC is liked by the educated and the uneducated see it as some kind of dangerous dodgy organisation.
Indeed. He's over 60. He has longstanding mental health issues. If we learn he has had a lifetime of looming and leering over young people, there should be a tsunami of 'me too' incoming. Let's see how it unfolds. My guess is this is the Sun seizing an opportunity to exploit someone having a bit of a meltdown.

How do you know it was ‘clearly very out of character’?
Because it's all been recent accusations, he's mentally ill as is proven by his wife, hospital and lawyer and the Police and done their work and found nothing illegal. If stuff comes out he's always been like this and their is clear evidence, then I will hold my hands up. What he has done is not morally right, but it certainly isn't illegal.

Because it's all been recent accusations, he's mentally ill as is proven by his wife, hospital and lawyer and the Police and done their work and found nothing illegal. If stuff comes out he's always been like this and their is clear evidence, then I will hold my hands up. What he has done is not morally right, but it certainly isn't illegal.
Based on current evidence*

Indeed. He's over 60. He has longstanding mental health issues. If we learn he has had a lifetime of looming and leering over young people, there should be a tsunami of 'me too' incoming. Let's see how it unfolds. My guess is this is the Sun seizing an opportunity to exploit someone having a bit of a meltdown.
This (see post in reply to @dazzer6666 )

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murdoch in the UK...

The Sun
The Times
The Sunday Times
Talk Sport
Talk Radio
Times Radio
Talk TV

FFS lets have some laws on cross media ownership

He got a TV station with the added kudos/weight that brings, through the back door imho.

TalkRadio was just yet another radio station, they started airing visuals of the studio live on the internet, which is not unusual as LBC do it. Next thing you know they have Freeview, Virgin TV, etc TV channel numbers.

If Murdoch from day one had applied for an out and out UK TV station, I doubt he’d have got it due to his other UK media interests, overseas citizenship and controversial background eg NOTW hacking.

Enabling Feltz, Morgan, Kyle and others to peddle gossip and hate on TV.

@clapham_gull would be interested to hear your expert view.

It appears The Sun have breached privacy laws to publish. Not for reasons of substantial public interest, but merely to interest the public. They've potentially destroyed a person's career and have embroiled his whole family in to it, with all the media attention and embarrassment that entails.

I'm shocked that I'm not shocked by all this. However, it's a Murdoch publication and his stewardship of the media has long since defined the gutter press.
The day he dies, the day the world can breath a little. Up there with Trump and he is a sexual nonce himself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Labour also blundered on this, I watched Rachel Reeves on TV at the weekend say the scandal was "deeply concerning".

Asked about an alleged delay in investigating the complaint, Ms Reeves told Sky News: "I think that's the concerning thing, that someone makes a complaint - a very serious complaint - and then puts on the telly the next night and they're still there.

And that's not good enough."

I wish all politicians would’ve kept their noses out of it. There was an unseemly clamour to join the pile on.

Starmer could use this an opportunity to distance Labour from this nasty modern phenomena of reactive opinions on everything even where it could become a legal case. I don’t hold much hope …. scared of Murdoch and social media.
Not sure it is appropriate for Starmer to comment, other than to cover up for Reeves. That said she is right that the case is deeply concerning, although the 'they're still there' comment was wrong. That said, how would she know that the man was already in hospital? She could only go on what was known, and that was that 'he' was still there, since the Beeb had not announced any suspensions.

So not a great deal to see here. It is going to be quite a stretch for anyone to create a narrative that this is somehow Labour's fault.

Where is Mouldy when we need him? ??? :wink:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I know the clamour to be pc , not offend and be seen as anything goes but wow !!!

I’d suggest in the real world people are disgusted by him and his morals ( that’s how I’ve seen and heard it )
"He doth protest too much methinks".

Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper is facing serious questions over its reporting and ethical standards, after it alleged Edwards paid a 17-year-old for explicit images – only for police to conclude there was no evidence to support this allegation of serious criminal wrongdoing.

Days later, his wife said Edwards is in a hospital dealing with “serious mental health issues” and the newspaper is rapidly backtracking on its original story. Extraordinarily, on Wednesday night the Sun insisted its initial claim that the presenter had given a young person “more than £35,000 since they were 17 in return for sordid images” was not a suggestion of criminal activity.

Instead, the newspaper blamed other media outlets for misinterpreting its reporting and leading to the police getting involved, saying: “We must also re-emphasise that the Sun at no point in our original story alleged criminality and also took the decision neither to name Mr Edwards nor the young person involved in the allegations.”

Even before the police had cleared Edwards of illegal behaviour, doubts started to emerge over the Sun’s key allegation that he bought pictures from a 17-year-old. The young person in question, now an adult aged 20, issued a statement on Monday their lawyer saying the allegations were “rubbish”.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

In 2011 Murdoch was temporarily humiliated, but Cameron didn't finish the job, bottled it and abandoned Leverson 2. They got away with it and just rebranded the NOTW to the Sun on Sunday and now have a more powerful hold on UK media than ever.

Just look what has happened to the US, Fox News essentially manufactured Trump. Only Ofcom which lacks back bone is stopping full a full on Alternative Facts outlet. That said GBN and Talk TV are still plunging new depths.

Deep fakes are coming, credible media will be more important than ever to save democracy.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In 2011 Murdoch was temporarily humiliated, but Cameron bottle it and abandoned Leverson 2. They learn and now have a more powerful hold on UK media than ever.
Surely it's Labour's fault? Something about Tony Blair?

If only I hadn't put potty, the football genius aka wokewanka et al., on ignore, I'd have all the salient facts.

I. Am. Bereft.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Almost word for word my thinking, as you are aware.

Not rocket science, is it?
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here