Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton on Dunk: "Yes it is a concern"

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ow, just read this. THAT potentially explains an awful lot. Life changing event and may be a number of issues affecting them as a family unit that is affecting his game.

It's his second child...

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I have defended Dunk time after time recently. I think he has been class for us. A big reason for our great defensive record over the last few years.

C'mon Dunk give us a break this is ridiculous.

johnscrotes

Jan 10, 2016
Not scoring goals is costing us
Being shit at corners is costing us
Being shit at taking free kicks is costing us
Not having decent strikers is costing us
To have a witch hunt and then blame 1 player is ridiculous , the board the training staff and the manager are all to blame for us throwing away points and any chance of promotion again this seson

spot on

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
To have a witch hunt and then blame 1 player is ridiculous , the board the training staff and the manager are all to blame for us throwing away points and any chance of promotion again this seson

Absolutely, had we had scored two goals, this thread probably wouldn't exist.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes he had made the odd mistake here and there, but would they be highlighted as much as they are on here if the strikers/attacking players were doing their job at the other end? I highly doubt it.

If we were scoring and winning, I believe people would still criticise a player who in his last 9 games had conceded two penalties and got himself sent off, as well as making other errors that gifted our opponents goals, making those wins less comfortable than they deserved to be. Each mistake as a one off? No. Numerous mistakes over 9 games, absolutely they'd be highlighted.

Of course, instead of being shouted down with "you wouldn't say that if we were winning/you're not a proper fan" it would be shouted down with "so? we still won, but I guess some people aren't happy unless they're moaning/you're not a proper fan".

I get it. I know there are fans who think "a real fan" wouldn't ever criticise one of his own players (there are of course also fans who think "a real fan" would never bury their head in the sand and ignore issues). But that's nonsense (no one has a right to define who is and isn't "a real fan", but that's besides the point).

Every fan who has ever said "a real fan would never criticise one of his own" has had at least one player that they have criticised. Whether it be someone who is roundly agreed to have failed for us (Ryan Harley, Leon Best), or just one player they haven't taken to and they have an excuse to criticise them (poor form, mistakes, other fans criticising them). But of course, that's always different.

Last edited:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
It's his second child...
Hardly surprising then that his form has dipped. Broken sleep, extra hassle around the house, support for a partner - those of us with children have all been there. On the other hand, if he's banking the money mentioned earlier maybe someone could suggest extra domestic help? What he needs is support, a spell out of the first team and some help from the club. Last season there was a fair degree of dismay when Fulham bid for him: on his day he's a superb player - am I wrong in thinking that he was least season's leading scorer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hardly surprising then that his form has dipped. Broken sleep, extra hassle around the house, support for a partner - those of us with children have all been there. On the other hand, if he's banking the money mentioned earlier maybe someone could suggest extra domestic help? What he needs is support, a spell out of the first team and some help from the club. Last season there was a fair degree of dismay when Fulham bid for him: on his day he's a superb player - am I wrong in thinking that he was least season's leading scorer?

I'm not sure he is unique in having kids though. You are right though if it is a problem he needs to fix it, extra help, isolating himself at night whatever

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The argus reports it this morning as dunk being singled out.
I still maintain he is a good player who just needs a break. Maybe hes taking risks because of his previous errors trying to make amends for letting his team mates down and as a result becoming reckless

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think Dunk needs to spend some time with a sports phsycologist. His errors seem to come from trying too hard. It seems that when the team is struggling, or when he doesn't have full confidence in the players around him, he over-compensates. It is as if he feels he has to do something desperate to save the day.

If someone can get it into his head to focus on his own game and to trust more the players around him, he can start to eliminate those errors from his game.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Lewis Dunk under pressure after error dumps Brighton and Hove Albion out of FA Cup - The Argus

LEWIS DUNK’S place is under threat after another gaffe dumped Albion out of the FA Cup.
The crazy mistake was the third time the highly-rated young centre-half has cost Albion in the last six games.

---

Brighton and Hove Albion defender Lewis Dunk under scrutiny after another game-swaying mistake - The Argus

He (Dunk) is a future captain of the club in the making, assuming he has not made it to the Premier League by then.
For either of these to happen the highly regarded central defender must eradicate the mistakes which are costing Albion dear - and ought really to cost him his place at Rotherham.
Not because of the bizarre manner in which he conceded the first half penalty which deservedly sent Albion out of the competition but because he has made three game-swaying mistakes in the last six matches.

Dunk could have a considerable future ahead of him but he has to learn and learn fast.

He is not a pup now. He is 24 and has well over 100 appearances for Albion behind him. He has to cut out the lapses in concentration and suspect decision-making.

Hughton said: "All he can do is learn by his mistakes. There's no doubt Dunky is a good player but defending and making good decisions is very much part and parcel of the game. He will be better for it and he will learn."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A rest certainly. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Maybe a time for some coaching on his decision making skills and timing for starters. I still believe Dunk is a valuable member of the team and has shown his true ability in numerous games so far. It would be a shame that his current lack of form leads him to be made a scapegoat by certain sections of Albion fans.

Support him not persecute him.

Wise words

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
What doesn't help Dunk's case is family members or those close to him - like on this thread actually - coming out and basically saying that anyone who doesn't think he is the best thing such slice bread or who dares criticise him is an idiot who knows nothing about football when even Stevie Wonder can see that at this moment in time his mistakes, regardless of what is going on at the other end, are costing us and that therefore he should not be in the team

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Without the injuries he would definitely get his break, hes by no means become a bad player overnight but needs to be taken out of the firing line.
Itll do him good having time to reflect and calm down a bit and when he.gets back in he will be a better player for it. Hes young and still learning in spite of his experience

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A rest certainly. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Maybe a time for some coaching on his decision making skills and timing for starters. I still believe Dunk is a valuable member of the team and has shown his true ability in numerous games so far. It would be a shame that his current lack of form leads him to be made a scapegoat by certain sections of Albion fans.

Support him not persecute him.

My take is that he has been too overconfident for most of the season. I'm seeing a young lad who thinks he should be playing at a higher level, and is not doing the simple things simply, and his game has suffered. He has the talent, but he's in a trap perhaps of thinking he is better than he actually is, maybe due to agents / offers etc.

An in form Dunk to my mind is essential to our promotion push, but he needs to somehow take a step back and just go back to the basics of his game. His decision making is now costing us, so I hope Hughton can handle this so that he sorts himself out. There is no hiding from his mistakes.

Got to get behind him, but it is hard for supporters to take when these seem like self inflicted errors from a young guy who's head has got ahead of himself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My take is that he has been too overconfident for most of the season. I'm seeing a young lad who thinks he should be playing at a higher level, and is not doing the simple things simply, and his game has suffered. He has the talent, but he's in a trap perhaps of thinking he is better than he actually is, maybe due to agents / offers etc.

An in form Dunk to my mind is essential to our promotion push, but he needs to somehow take a step back and just go back to the basics of his game. His decision making is now costing us, so I hope Hughton can handle this so that he sorts himself out. There is no hiding from his mistakes.

Got to get behind him, but it is hard for supporters to take when these seem like self inflicted errors from a young guy who's head has got ahead of himself.

Agreed. Case of too much too young?

Either way Hughton is a grounded, reasonable manager and I am sure he will be having some closed door conversations with Lewis about this, and possibly working with Colin Calderwood on the training ground

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Agreed. Our taking of and defending of set pieces is WOEFUL and has been for YEARS frankly.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
after looking at the highlightson player dunk was already on the floor? and then tried to head it away tripping the opposion player definite pen.
so what was all the sliding tackle by the commentators then?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Spot on. Also its clear Dunk is having an off time at the moment and a dip in form, he was immense last season and probably does need a rest, knackered more than anything maybe, but sadly we are down to the bare bones. I will say tho that its not down to inexperience he has played many, many champ games now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here