Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton on Dunk: "Yes it is a concern"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A big contrast to Lawrenson in the past (he was on Radion Five this morning mentioning the time Liverpool lost two seaons on the trot to Brighton) who not only was a much better player, but simply did not make any mistakes ever for the Albion. He made a minor one for Liverpool playing against the Albion, not a penalty or booking, just got dispossessed.

There are certain similiarities between the two players though. I would not get rid of Dunk. Just he has got to pay more attention to technique and positioning like Bruno.

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
To be honest, I think it's time that Hughton became a bit bolder in his interviews.

As articulate and thoughtful as he is, which are wonderful characteristics of a manager, I think he needs to start showing a bit more menace; for example, in recent games, he has confronted and pressurized the fourth officials to prove that he won't tolerate consistently-woeful decisions. Singling out Dunk - and, generally the defence - isn't too bad, because they need to realise that their positions in this team are not stable at the moment. As soon as players recover from injuries, they will be straight out of the team. Especially Dunk, some of them need to buck up their ideas and realise that this season is easily our best chance at promotion since we've been at the AMEX, and we need to exploit that and be BOLD.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Anyonr who thinks dunk is a bad player should go back and watch his own goal at anfield.
Not many players can do that :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The thread here is a little bit mis-leading. It refers to Dunk as making errors; however, today and the one against Burnley were not actually errors. They are in fact moments of stupidity. Moments of madness really. They are the sort of thing you expect to see in a kids game down the local park when you are 12 or 13 years old.

I don't think in Chris' interview he intended to point the finger at Dunk because he was responding to a question and he has said privately in the past that it is difficult to be critical of any of the players because they have been doing so well and playing beyond expectations of themselves. In recent weeks that has not been the case so maybe today rather than skip round the question which he can do very well if he chooses to . Maybe today he just thought that it was time to let them know that he won't continually defend stupid mistakes and errors.

I don't think he will be too worried about going out of the cup because the League and Promotion is his priority. That being the case he know that the second part of the season really starts now and he knows he has a few players coming in and coming back from injury.

He knows for the most part that the people who played today won't be the mainstay of the team for the run in to the end of the season but he knows they will be needed just as back up in case of injuries and squad rotation.

As for Dunk, I am not his biggest fan. Will he play next game? I don't actually think so if others are fit but I can't say that with any certainty but when Bassong made a few rash decisions playing for him at Norwich he dropped him for a couple of games then brought him back so maybe that's what he will do in this situation but I don't know where we stand with injuries in that position.

I don't think he will be sold in the transfer window though because he is still a decent player. Not a great player because great players do not make the rash decisions like the one Dunk made today. Does Dunk want away ? I have a feeling he does but I think that's his Agent filling his head with all sorts.

el punal

Time to give him a long rest

A rest certainly. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Maybe a time for some coaching on his decision making skills and timing for starters. I still believe Dunk is a valuable member of the team and has shown his true ability in numerous games so far. It would be a shame that his current lack of form leads him to be made a scapegoat by certain sections of Albion fans.

Support him not persecute him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thank you. A bit of common sense prevails at last. I get sick and tired the way certain people, because he has made a few costly errors, seem to think he is an absolutely terrible player.

People have such short memories, he has been superb for us before, and he will be again.
What would you think if we had just paid £2m for Dunk in the summer?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A rest certainly. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Maybe a time for some coaching on his decision making skills and timing for starters. I still believe Dunk is a valuable member of the team and has shown his true ability in numerous games so far. It would be a shame that his current lack of form leads him to be made a scapegoat by certain sections of Albion fans.

Agreed

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is what is needed and just a reassement of his dtuies to focus his mind. Can be a good player but still not worth £5m.unless he can show he has learnt.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
He is still a quality player at this level, but I think is confidence is shot after some recent shockers/howlers/incidents that have cost points. Take him out of the firing line if Greer is fit and I am sure he will come back like the old Dunk.

With respect, cobblers,

He's a bloody liability

He hasn't moved on as a footballer or an adult but unfortunately his pay packet has .

johnscrotes

Jan 10, 2016
..."individual errors are costing us."

#SlamDunkOut

O/p you are a joke mate along with all the other Dunk haters. Houghton never singled him out and the fact you have started this thread, in my mind, brings your support of this club and its players into question.

Yes he had made the odd mistake here and there, but would they be highlighted as much as they are on here if the strikers/attacking players were doing their job at the other end? I highly doubt it.

To single Dunky out once again for yesterday's game is unfair. No one has mentioned the fact that either Ridgewell or Towell (couldn't make out which one it was) ducked out of the challenge so Dunky went in WITH HIS HEAD at the attacking players feet to stop him getting a shot off and unfortunately gave a penalty away. You can't question his 100% commitment to his and your club and team mates, yet a lot of people think it's a good idea to get on his back rather than support the guy.

I never post on here I just like to see what other people are saying but felt I had to post something today. Dunky is probably one of the best players at the club along with Stockdale, Kayal and Stephens. The players want this promotion as much as us fans and I think it's about time we started getting behind the players rather than starting up slanderous threads and wishing out betters were sold.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
O/p you are a joke mate along with all the other Dunk haters. Houghton never singled him out and the fact you have started this thread, in my mind, brings your support of this club and its players into question.

Yes he had made the odd mistake here and there, but would they be highlighted as much as they are on here if the strikers/attacking players were doing their job at the other end? I highly doubt it.

To single Dunky out once again for yesterday's game is unfair. No one has mentioned the fact that either Ridgewell or Towell (couldn't make out which one it was) ducked out of the challenge so Dunky went in WITH HIS HEAD at the attacking players feet to stop him getting a shot off and unfortunately gave a penalty away. You can't question his 100% commitment to his and your club and team mates, yet a lot of people think it's a good idea to get on his back rather than support the guy.

I never post on here I just like to see what other people are saying but felt I had to post something today. Dunky is probably one of the best players at the club along with Stockdale, Kayal and Stephens. The players want this promotion as much as us fans and I think it's about time we started getting behind the players rather than starting up slanderous threads and wishing out betters were sold.

I don't see anyone questioning Dunk's commitment to the Albion but there is now a track record to make it reasonable to question his footballing intelligence. Is it plausible that he is getting no coaching from calderwood? No. Is it plausible that he is not seeing a sport psychologist? No. Is it plausible that he is not fit enough? Definitely not. Is it plausible that he is just unluckier than the rest of the defence put together? No, no evidence of that.
So what is plausible? He lacks a consistent football intelligence and in moments of confusion is either stupid or over aggressive

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Hi Lewis

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Fair points, good first post.
However I've got to disagree. I think Dunk's been a total liability over the past few weeks and has directly lost us points (5-7 points and a cup replay is the current count).
Regarding the post-match interview with JC, CH didn't directly name and shame Dunk. However, if you heard the interview, you'd know with certainty that Hughton was referencing Dunk as that's who JC was calling out seconds beforehand.

Pitchforks would have been out on here last night if it were a league game.

Finally, to reiterate, I AM a Dunk supporter. He's been immense in previous seasons AND much of the first half of the current season.
He just needs a good long break from football, but unfortunately, there's no one to cover him at the moment.
The sooner he sorts his head out the better for all concerned.

Saying that, if there's no improvement over the next few weeks/months - who know's what will happen.

He's surely only in the squad each week as there's no better option.

He's been great in previous seasons but is having a seriously bad patch.

Note: Both players still have my absolute support (ref. to Greer & Dunk), Dunk was excellent last season and is obviously going through a very rough patch. He'll pull through it.

Also, read the post, I like Dunk and want him to pull through this severe dip in form ASAP.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So what is plausible? He lacks a consistent football intelligence and in moments of confusion is either stupid or over aggressive

This is very true.
He can be a great footballer (and usually is), but ruins it with the above.
Hopefully this will clear up with time. Although with his experience and age, you'd have thought he'd have this sorted.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

You are either a player, or A N Other member of the club's staff....... wake up and smell the coffee, we all have commitment to the club, sadly it's not going to help things on the pitch, ability and decision making is the key, that's where it all goes wrong for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here