Hughton on Dunk: "Yes it is a concern"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
O/p you are a joke mate along with all the other Dunk haters. Houghton never singled him out and the fact you have started this thread, in my mind, brings your support of this club and its players into question.

Yes he had made the odd mistake here and there, but would they be highlighted as much as they are on here if the strikers/attacking players were doing their job at the other end? I highly doubt it.

To single Dunky out once again for yesterday's game is unfair. No one has mentioned the fact that either Ridgewell or Towell (couldn't make out which one it was) ducked out of the challenge so Dunky went in WITH HIS HEAD at the attacking players feet to stop him getting a shot off and unfortunately gave a penalty away. You can't question his 100% commitment to his and your club and team mates, yet a lot of people think it's a good idea to get on his back rather than support the guy.

I never poswt on here I just like to see what other people are saying but felt I had to post something today.
Dunky is probably one of the best players at the club along with Stockdale, Kayal and Stephens. The players want this promotion as much as us fans and I think it's about time we started getting behind the players rather
than starting up slanderous threads and wishing out betters were sold.

Very good post mate, your 2nd paragraph sums the situation up completely , had we won that game 2 - 1 Dunks error would have been overlooked, had we done the same against Ipswich and Wolves, the Goldson goals would have been forgiven, the fact that we are not putting anything away at the other end is the issue that needs addressing, and we all know the answer is not sticking Manu up front. An out and out striker is imperative.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This is very true.
He can be a great footballer (and usually is), but ruins it with the above.
Hopefully this will clear up with time. Although with his experience and age, you'd have thought he'd have this sorted.

Here is the use of the word ' great ' again, normally reserved for those of high ability and who only come along once or twice in a generation. Never mind, lets use it in reference to a decent player, struggling to hold down a place in a Championship side.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A rest certainly. His confidence is probably shot to pieces. Maybe a time for some coaching on his decision making skills and timing for starters. I still believe Dunk is a valuable member of the team and has shown his true ability in numerous games so far. It would be a shame that his current lack of form leads him to be made a scapegoat by certain sections of Albion fans.

Support him not persecute him.

I'm not sure footballers can be taught decision making and timing. They can be taught technical skills. They can be taught positioning. They can be taught little tricks to improve their game or put the opposition at a disadvantage.
What separates the good from the ordinary is the ability to make the right decision at the right time. To be consistent in your decision making. No rashness. no over-committing. Make it difficult for the opposition.
Top sportsmen have that innate calmness in most of their decision making. Its what sets them apart. Their basic skills are good. They are mastered. They don't over-simplify. They hone their skills to a level where they are able to reproduce under pressure.
From what I've seen, Lewis Dunk lacks this innate calmness. He panics at the last split second. That vital moment when you don't over-commit. He dives in without weighing up the consequences. He appears not to have continued to mature as a player. He doesn't manage forward players in the way that a Lawrenson or Upson would do. He allows himself to be turned too often. He is forcing himself to make too many decisions in the danger areas rather than away from trouble. I admire his fearlessness in throwing himself right, left and centre but too often now, it results in poor decision making and in a side that hasn't been scoring too many goals, it is costing us dear.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To me it is no real coincidence that Dunk has lost form since Rosenior got injured. With Ridgewell and our left backs coming back after that and playing as a back 4 again, I would expect an improvement and suspect that we will get one as he should, theoretically, have less decisions to make in a game and therefore less chance of making a bad one.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The situation with Lewis Dunk reminds me so much of the same with 'Fozzie', Steve Foster. he was very good until people started to say how good he was and he received a pay rise commensurate with those comments. After that it all went down hill to something more ordinary. How is he being managed? A 20 something year old, earning a reported £22k a week on a three contract, it would have made us all feel very important at that age. he does have this side to him where he is rash and he has form on being sent off. He needs to be managed, I personally believe he needs Gordon Greer next to him as a mentor. Its up to CH to deal with him, i'm sure he has found himself in this position before. Strange thing to be saying about someone who you may consider you want to sell however.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
O/p you are a joke mate along with all the other Dunk haters. Houghton never singled him out and the fact you have started this thread, in my mind, brings your support of this club and its players into question.

Yes he had made the odd mistake here and there, but would they be highlighted as much as they are on here if the strikers/attacking players were doing their job at the other end? I highly doubt it.

To single Dunky out once again for yesterday's game is unfair. No one has mentioned the fact that either Ridgewell or Towell (couldn't make out which one it was) ducked out of the challenge so Dunky went in WITH HIS HEAD at the attacking players feet to stop him getting a shot off and unfortunately gave a penalty away. You can't question his 100% commitment to his and your club and team mates, yet a lot of people think it's a good idea to get on his back rather than support the guy.

I never post on here I just like to see what other people are saying but felt I had to post something today. Dunky is probably one of the best players at the club along with Stockdale, Kayal and Stephens. The players want this promotion as much as us fans and I think it's about time we started getting behind the players rather than starting up slanderous threads and wishing out betters were sold.

Its Hughton !!!!!!!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
..."individual errors are costing us."

#SlamDunkOut

Not scoring goals is costing us
Being shit at corners is costing us
Being shit at taking free kicks is costing us
Not having decent strikers is costing us
To have a witch hunt and then blame 1 player is ridiculous , the board the training staff and the manager are all to blame for us throwing away points and any chance of promotion again this seson

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Not scoring goals is costing us
Being shit at corners is costing us
Being shit at taking free kicks is costing us
Not having decent strikers is costing us
To have a witch hunt and then blame 1 player is ridiculous , the board the training staff and the manager are all to blame for us throwing away points and any chance of promotion again this seson

Injuries is what's costing us the most. With a fully fit squad a doubt Dunk would be in the team at the moment so he wouldn't be throwing away points on his own.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I never post on here I just like to see what other people are saying but felt I had to post something today. Dunky is probably one of the best players at the club along with Stockdale, Kayal and Stephens. The players want this promotion as much as us fans and I think it's about time we started getting behind the players rather than starting up slanderous threads and wishing out betters were sold.

Have you considered learning the manager's name?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

You tell them Lewis, dont rise to a few.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is there any truth in Dunk having anger management sessions in the past? I'm led to believe he had quite a temper as a youngster and it's arguable he still exhibits a rush of blood During games. However, I don't what his temperament is really like. Plenty of footballers with far more red midst in their game although Dunk is definitely going through a rough patch. Needs getting to the bottom of with a spell on the sidelines. Too many incidents as Hughton himself has now said.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
6 weeks ago i saw him leaving princess royal hospital with his partner and a new baby.... Probably no sleep....

Ow, just read this. THAT potentially explains an awful lot. Life changing event and may be a number of issues affecting them as a family unit that is affecting his game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Haven't trawled through this thread. But, boy oh boy, that was a shocking challenge from Dunk to concede that penalty. How on earth did he think that that was a good idea? After that, I'd rather G&G started on Tuesday, if possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports