Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how much longer

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Walk-up prices need to be lower, but not to the point where they discourage STH from renewing (£20 would be too close to averaged ST cost) - but over £40 is too steep at this level, even with travel included. More dynamic pricing should be used I reckon - if, a few days before the game, there are a few thousand left, drop the price and heavily publicise it.............wouldn't think there is any incremental cost to the club of more people turning up so it would all be extra revenue and a fuller ground. Not sure if there are things like stewarding or policing ratios that need to be maintained though - so adding 2-3k a day or two before could potentially throw that out maybe. I dunno.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Walk-up prices need to be lower, but not to the point where they discourage STH from renewing (£20 would be too close to averaged ST cost) - but over £40 is too steep at this level, even with travel included. More dynamic pricing should be used I reckon - if, a few days before the game, there are a few thousand left, drop the price and heavily publicise it.............wouldn't think there is any incremental cost to the club of more people turning up so it would all be extra revenue and a fuller ground. Not sure if there are things like stewarding or policing ratios that need to be maintained though - so adding 2-3k a day or two before could potentially throw that out maybe. I dunno.

im a season ticket holder and wouldnt object in the slightest if the club was giving away tickets to put bums on seats

on a separate issue,and its a bit Corbyn type stuff i do know a few albion fans,single mums with kids or unemployed people who are mad albion but the ticket prices are simply not justified against their current income.I cant be alone in knowing a family for example on an income who would love to go but £30 or £40 a ticket stretches their budget beyond what is acceptable spending.

The club is not a charity by any means,but i wonder if maybe the poorest in the city or surrounds who wished to come could be rightly identified and offered tickets at maybe £5 a go for the odd match........

perhaps i am being too much of an airhead and that is too unrealistic

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The problem with that approach is very few would buy tickets early for fear of there being cheaper tickets available later.

It's for this reason that it nearly always works in the reverse: buy early to get the best price.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The problem with that approach is very few would buy tickets early for fear of there being cheaper tickets available later.

It's for this reason that it nearly always works in the reverse: buy early to get the best price.

True...this could change at some point though if we start to get closer to capacity - would need to buy early to be sure of getting a ticket. If (big if) we go up, will be fascinating to see what this does to attendances including nos of STHs.

As [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] suggests, could be some merit in targeted special offers too. I think the 'school shelves' in particular should be full every game. Give them away if necessary to schools or local football clubs.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
True...this could change at some point though if we start to get closer to capacity - would need to buy early to be sure of getting a ticket. If (big if) we go up, will be fascinating to see what this does to attendances including nos of STHs.

As [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] suggests, could be some merit in targeted special offers too. I think the 'school shelves' in particular should be full every game. Give them away if necessary to schools or local football clubs.

agree.....bums on seats and cheering on the team......i suspect there is a valid reason for not doing this........i would like to hear what it is

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The club surely would prefer empty seats than seats running at a loss if you gave them away or sold for a fiver if you take into account travel and extra stewarding costs.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
agree.....bums on seats and cheering on the team......i suspect there is a valid reason for not doing this........i would like to hear what it is

From experience schools are often not interested as they can't get staff to volunteer to give up their time to organise and transport students.
Language schools may be an option but you would want to cover stewarding costs as others have said and it probably won't add to atmosphere or build future support

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
he can afford it then , what a stupid comparison, I spoke to a work colleague last week who is a ST holder at Newcastle he pays what I was paying 2 years ago for my ST in west lower .............. enough said
regards
DR
How much do Newcastle receive just for being in the premier league?

I don't think you can compare Premier league prices with Championship due to the vast amount of cash they get.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
he can afford it then , what a stupid comparison, I spoke to a work colleague last week who is a ST holder at Newcastle he pays what I was paying 2 years ago for my ST in west lower .............. enough said
regards
DR

But you're not complaining about season ticket prices, so why is this relevant?

I actually agree with you that one-off ticket prices are too high and are a barrier to getting casual supporters along. The problem is that this applies to virtually all entertainment nowadays. I choose to go to the football and probably do less live music as a result. I don't really know what the club are supposed to do, though, when the travel and stewarding costs have to be taken account of as well.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the travel agreements are based on numbers in the ground or just a lump sum? It could make quite a difference to the ability to offer discounted tickets.

Jan 30, 2008
But you're not complaining about season ticket prices, so why is this relevant?

I actually agree with you that one-off ticket prices are too high and are a barrier to getting casual supporters along. The problem is that this applies to virtually all entertainment nowadays. I choose to go to the football and probably do less live music as a result. I don't really know what the club are supposed to do, though, when the travel and stewarding costs have to be taken account of as well.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the travel agreements are based on numbers in the ground or just a lump sum? It could make quite a difference to the ability to offer discounted tickets.
of course its relevant when you see all the talk of how much ST prices are going to RISE when we get premiership football
regards
DR

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Scrap the travel concessions then you get a basic cost of a ticket for everyone
regards
DR

Can't see that working to be honest - would be carnage at the stations with queues for tickets and to get through the barriers. Wasn't the travel-included element part of the deal to allow the ground to be built at Falmer anyway ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is not just those that cant afford it don't go. Plenty I know can easily afford but will not pay £41 They also do not want to sit in corners. I have even known some who have turned up to sit near us and when found out price have walked away. There has to be a price that match day goers consider good value and club need to find it. I go to Theatre Royal often and pay £25/30 but unless it was something I was desperate to see i wouldn't dream of paying £40

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
It does seem odd that for a venue that's not sold out the club are asking for mark ups touching double the price compared to a season ticket.
My daughter had to let her season ticket go last year due to work commitments as she can not commit to going to every home game. Her work schedule enables her to attend some games but as the prices are so steep has to choose carefully.
I would imagine when the prices were fixed at the start of the season the club anticipated more demand and priced accordingly, however it does not make business sense to try and sell a product for double the price when there is not a demand. The club are also losing revenue in additional sales of merchandise, food and drink for every empty seat as well as the ticket revenue.
Many Dads and Mums must question paying these prices for their children to attend a game when the combined cost could pay out for a whole day out elsewhere.
Not often I agree with the OP but he's right on this one. Most entertainment venues would be offering discounted tickets to get punters to sit on unsold seats, not taking the proverbial by charging up to double the price.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The club want people to buy season tickets.

They are not reckoning on us struggling at the foot of the Championship again anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here