Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much longer do you think you have to live?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Recently I've noted that quite a few of the people I worked with when I started work have died. They were in their 30's & 40's and I was 17 so 34 years later I reckon anything after 65 is good. My mum is 90 so I hope that buys a few years

Just heard Steven Pinker on Desert Island Discs, talking about the fact that we have become more humane because of fewer wars (essentially the message of his latest 800 page book) and that we are more or less all subject to what is constituted by our genes. None of this basis in fact and is mostly erroneous. The man lives on another deterministic planet never mind Desert Island.

Seneca says it is not the shortness of life that is the problem, it is the amount of time we waste, must be an essence of truth in this. Here's hoping that the Seagulls have some more cracking games this season!

:albion2::smile:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just heard Steven Pinker on Desert Island Discs, talking about the fact that we have become more humane because of fewer wars (essentially the message of his latest 800 page book) and that we are more or less all subject to what is constituted by our genes. None of this basis in fact and is mostly erroneous. The man lives on another deterministic planet never mind Desert Island.

Seneca says it is not the shortness of life that is the problem, it is the amount of time we waste, must be an essence of truth in this. Here's hoping that the Seagulls have some more cracking games this season!

:albion2::smile:

What does Sammy Seagull say?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Living good is as important as living long.

This is true. I have known people who have a strong heart, then have a stroke, and are left in a semi paralysed state, almost unable to communicate. Then there is dementia which is so hard on the rest of the family.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
This is true. I have known people who have a strong heart, then have a stroke, and are left in a semi paralysed state, almost unable to communicate. Then there is dementia which is so hard on the rest of the family.
And accidents can strike anyone at any age:(
What a strange thread.

Bruno

Jul 2, 2012
We might as well end it now!! Most morbid and depressing post I have ever read on here

Didn't the thread title give you a clue what the thread was about?

This is one of the more interesting post on NSC as it is a preoccupation for us all. I was very overweight, on four types of medication for varying ailments and at 51 was not expecting much more than another 10 years. Lost, some weight and dumped all the medication and got fit. Now I hope another 17 years at least, till my twin boys are 21 and hopefully more. However, as previously posted, who knows, live for today and sleep when you are dead! Long life, health and happiness to you all!

Exactly - it has certainly made people think.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm 67 now, with a pacemaker and arthritic knees. In order to get in my sailing dinghy and race today I had to take a tablet ( amongst lots of others) of Diclofenac sodium, which I understand will kill me at some stage, so they said on the breakfast programme. Still who wants to live forever, when your life flashes before your eyes at the end, just make sure it's an interesting watch.

much the same as this only I am 66
Skip and I must have played football against one another while we were at school
my dad went on when he was 81 so if I can match that it will do for me
enough time for the mighty blue and white stripes to get to the premier don't you think

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I just took that test and wished I hadn't!! 6 years left FFS!!!

Mind you my Dad died at 55 from a heart attack, my mother at 62 from Alzheimer's I have had a stroke a heart attack and god knows how many operations!! and had my right kidney removed when I was 17 :eek:

And I now awaiting an all day operation which should take place on September 23rd....................all in all its probably a good thing I have taken out very good life insurance!! :lol:

And accidents can strike anyone at any age:(
What a strange thread.
There are, in fact, only three basic ways to die.

Heart failure (or other similar quick and sudden event);
Long drawn out disease (cancer, dementia, etc);
Being hit on the head by a jealous husband (or similar catastrophic accident).

If you can achieve the third, in old age, you've done OK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here