How does this happen anywhere (let alone in Croydon)?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
4 pages and no mention of Palace in a story about Croydon? Surely it's THEIR fault? Who's leading this investigation?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
It's comments like that...that clearly show how pathetic our society has become. Every criminal now has a sob story of how hard done by they are, it's societies fault, I've got this or that condition that suddenly only appeared in the last 15 years, my mum doesn't love me, blah blah fvcking blah. Get in the real world mate....that attitudes like yours have created a disgusting mitigation by scum like her are no longer responsible for their actions and it would be a travesty to even think about punishing them. Go and ask the old lady she punched in the face or the old lady's family if they give a flying fvck about any of your 'bigger picture'. Bottom line the horrible little shit punched an old lady in the face for no reason other than wanting to get home and asking 2 scumbags refusing to pay their fare to stop causing the delay to the bus. Would you care about the 'bigger picture' if she punched your mother?

Well said and doubt if the old lady will want to travel on a bus again in Croydon alone. She will wonder what she did or didn't do instead of realising that these two are scum who think it is big to go about punching people. Pictures in local newspapers show them laughing so doubt if they will even give it a second thought unless of course their necks are on the line.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
That shes never known an ounce of discipline in her life would be the reason , and i can also guarantee that had the old girl been black it wouldnt have happened.[/QUOTE

You can also add that had this been a white youth punching a black pensioner it would have certainly been investigated as a racial incident whatever the circumstances. I wonder if this investigation was.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your continuous argument of some sort of 'bigger picture' and now 'not knowing her history'. What you don't seem to get about my point is that the victim in this case has no bearing on her background or history or your 'bigger picture'!!!! So why should it be an excuse for her behaviour? And your response of me knowing nothing of your family or mother is again something my argument is absolutely nothing to do with it and you know it. I've clearly asked if you would feel the same about the offender if it were your mother. Don't now jump on some I'm offended band wagon, it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask in a debate like this!

I am not offended, but trying to make it personal does not help reasoned debate.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That shes never known an ounce of discipline in her life would be the reason , and i can also guarantee that had the old girl been black it wouldnt have happened.[/QUOTE

You can also add that had this been a white youth punching a black pensioner it would have certainly been investigated as a racial incident whatever the circumstances. I wonder if this investigation was.

Hi Bushy/Alfred :wave:

No, it certainly wouldnt have been investigated as a racial incident, unless the attack was specifically racial. This was a nasty little selfish girl. Nothing racist about her actions. Just a nasty little girl, but of course, you know that.
To try and push the fantasy that just by assaulting somebody of a different race makes the attack racist is silly. As you know.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These threads depresses me a bit.

My view is this. If someone punches anyone in the face one would expect there to be 'tariff' (standard minimum punishment). The tariff should be increased if there are additional factors (like here, where it was an old woman, not a fit young lad, and it was unexpected, not part of an altercation).

The tariff might be attenuated if there are extenuating circumstances. By this I mean genuine mental illness. I don't mean 'being drunk' or on drugs, or having just had a row with the missus. Or BEING FOURTEEN!!!

I have no strong views on what the tariff should be here, except that it should be exactly the same as if some big bloke punched an old lady in the face.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Punishing the girl, working to find a solution to her behavioural problems, and taking the victim's feelings and needs into consideration are not all mutually exclusive objectives.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Your continuous argument of some sort of 'bigger picture' and now 'not knowing her history'. What you don't seem to get about my point is that the victim in this case has no bearing on her background or history or your 'bigger picture'!!!! So why should it be an excuse for her behaviour? And your response of me knowing nothing of your family or mother is again something my argument is absolutely nothing to do with it and you know it. I've clearly asked if you would feel the same about the offender if it were your mother. Don't now jump on some I'm offended band wagon, it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask in a debate like this!

Can't be bothered to quote all of your points but I think you have to ask yourself this question - What are the most important roles of the criminal justice system? For me it's to minimise the number of criminals we create and secondly once they have committed a crime, ensure that as few of them as possible re-offend.I think that's a fairly sensible approach right? Now, punishment is already an element of any sentence handed out, but surely it shouldn't be the principle of we just keep churning or re-offenders.

It's long established that long custodial sentences <> a strong deterrent. Froth at the mouth all you want, but it's worth stepping back and having a think.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We live in a world where certain cultures are beginning to be obsessed with violence, gangs and massive chips on their shoulders.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Yawn.

The armed forces are a decent profession. Why fill it with sh*t and the dregs of society?

And your fantastic groundbreaking idea is ???

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
I am astonished at the number of people prepared to make sweeping assumptions about someone that they know almost nothing about.

And i see a number of people like yourself, very quick to defend her.
As ive asked already on here whats your wonderful suggestion ? They have already established the girl isn't mentally ill, so given that there is NO excuse is there ?
It has nothing to do with knowing her or not.
Are judges supposed to not sentence people on the basis that they " don't know them " ? WTF ???

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Jesus H on a bike its not suprising that some of the kids of today do this sort of thing consider some of the peoples reactions on here.
Poor little mite you dont know her home life, poor child you dont know what her actual background is, ??
Who are you too judge her ?

Horsewhip the little *******s they are the scum of the earth and most of them come from middle class, well fed, well loved, and affluent areas. They just have no respect for anything or anyone.
You wouldnt be saying this if it was your elderly Mother or Grandmother would you.
****ing PC BRIGADE

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
And i see a number of people like yourself, very quick to defend her.
As ive asked already on here whats your wonderful suggestion ? They have already established the girl isn't mentally ill, so given that there is NO excuse is there ?
It has nothing to do with knowing her or not.
Are judges supposed to not sentence people on the basis that they " don't know them " ? WTF ???

Where am I defending her? There are people on both sides of a simplistic argument making assumptions here. She could be misunderstood, or she could be Beelzebub incarnate. I don't know her situation, it is up to the court to determine what it is, not the good folk of NSC.

And well done for making unwarranted assumptions about me, and supporting my point. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... She could be misunderstood, or she could be Beelzebub incarnate.

or she could a bit thuggish? she didn't want to pay her fare then hit an old lady for no reason. there's no being misunderstood in that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
or she could a bit thuggish? she didn't want to pay her fare then hit an old lady for no reason. there's no being misunderstood in that.

It did occur to me earlier, that at no point when approaching this news story from the very opposite direction, did I include the caveat 'of course she might just be a wrong'un'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports