Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did UKIP do?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Labour managed to get their message across in Great Grimsby as the UKIP vote fell away and they only mustered 24.9%

D

Deleted member 22389

Im fine with it. Think I said a couple of times last week, that the Tories would win,UKIP would have one seat (Carswell) and Nigel would have to resign. Wish I had put a bet on.

I honestly found this General Election more gripping than the whole of last season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blame the Lib Dems. They should have insisted on a vote on proper proportional representation before doing a deal with the Cons. Stupid feckers shot themselves in the foot there.

What, immediately after the idea being discounted in an election? Didn't they break enough promises at it was?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Can't disagree with that. PR is dead and should've been the red line that the Libs insisted on after the last election. It's also the end for UKIP, Farage is UKIP IMO and one of the very few MP's of any party with Charisma, without him they will wither away.

Lastly, hard to see how there will be a Union or membership of the EC in 5 years time with this vote. Interesting times ahead I suspect.

It was - a lot of short memories - 2011 we had a referendum on the voting system - less than half of the electorate bothered to vote - change was rejected by two votes to one.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I think Farage will take a break for a few months then come back as leader again. Their future depends PARTLY, that's PARTLY on how many MPs from other parties cross the floor to join them in the next term.

Ironic that Nigel Farage got beaten by a politician who defected from UKIP to the Conservatives :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What a pointless argument!

Its all relative to the amount of people in the constituency

UKIP May of had 3 million votes but why should they get more MP's if 2.9 million of them votes were all based in say Cardiff?

You vote in a constituence for an MP to represent that area.

1 area 1 seat, why is that so hard for people to understand that?

I think everyone understands that and a lot of people think it's a terrible system. How about this example:

650 constituencies.

The tories, for the sake of argument, win 649 of them by one vote.

Labour get 100% of the vote in the 650th constituency.

The total turnout is 48,749,350

Labour votes: 24,411,850
Conservative votes: 24,337,500

Labour MPs: 1
Conservative MPs: 649.

Is that fair? If not, at which point do you decide that this system is fair?

And that's assuming even constituencies, which we don't have.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It was - a lot of short memories - 2011 we had a referendum on the voting system - less than half of the electorate bothered to vote - change was rejected by two votes to one.

That referendum was a sham though. The Lib Dems themselves did not really want that form of electoral reform. We all knew that and voted (or not) accordingly. Clegg let himself and his party be fobbed off on that issue, and that is part of the reason they are paying such a heavy price today.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
That referendum was a sham though. The Lib Dems themselves did not really want that form of electoral reform. We all knew that and voted (or not) accordingly. Clegg let himself and his party be fobbed off on that issue, and that is part of the reason they are paying such a heavy price today.

That's not what the party publicly stated at the time although they did say they would have preferred the STV, (single transferrable vote). The Lib Dems campaigned strongly for a 'yes' vote in the referendum as did Ed Milliband.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think everyone understands that and a lot of people think it's a terrible system. How about this example:

650 constituencies.

The tories, for the sake of argument, win 649 of them by one vote.

Labour get 100% of the vote in the 650th constituency.

The total turnout is 48,749,350

Labour votes: 24,411,850
Conservative votes: 24,337,500

Labour MPs: 1
Conservative MPs: 649.

Is that fair? If not, at which point do you decide that this system is fair?

And that's assuming even constituencies, which we don't have.

Completely ridiculous argument, you're invented a preposterous scenario that will never ever happen. Classic strawman argument.

at which point do you decide that this system is fair?

It's not a 'terrible' system. It has disadvantages but advantages also. You've highlighted the disadvantages and I'll happily concede that there are significant problems with it but it creates a strong link between MP and constituency with each constituency having its own identity, it's a simple process to understand and British democracy is stable and works well and FPTP has been a part of this for centuries.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Completely ridiculous argument, you're invented a preposterous scenario that will never ever happen. Classic strawman argument.

It's not a 'terrible' system. It has disadvantages but advantages also. You've highlighted the disadvantages and I'll happily concede that there are significant problems with it but it creates a strong link between MP and constituency with each constituency having its own identity, it's a simple process to understand and British democracy is stable and works well and FPTP has been a part of this for centuries.
It only works well if you support one of the two big parties and never feel the need to vote tactically. It doesn't work well if you want real change or are amongst the one third of the electorate who are permanently disenfranchised (who won't vote for either Labour or Conservative under any circumstance).

Besides, you have to swear allegiance to the Queen before being allowed to take your seat. That's not really very democratic is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here