Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did UKIP do?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why should the basis that UKIP came a close 3rd but with more individual votes than SNP give them the right to more seats to represent them, which areas of the country would you expect these UKIP MP's to represent?

Doesn't work pal!

As said previously, I think it's wholly unfair that 12.6% of all voters will be represented by just 1 MP.

In my view, our current system doesn't work if 33% of our voting population want something other than Conservative or Labour Governments.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The SNP got 1.4m votes out of a possible 4m (roughly I can only find figures including 16 and 17 year olds).

UKIP got 3m out of 46m.

So there is your explanation for that. Though of course you knew that really.

That's a partial explanation, the rest of it is that we have a first-past-the-post electoral system and the distribution of votes across the wards is critical.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I moaned about the system BEFORE the election. As a voter I feel my opinion is not represented in parliament.

Well use your vote more wisely then :wink:

I do think we need a fairer system, although I suspect we may have seen significantly different voting in some sort of proportional representation. (SNP would still take majority of seats in scotland though)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The SNP got 1.4m votes out of a possible 4m (roughly I can only find figures including 16 and 17 year olds).

UKIP got 3m out of 46m.

So there is your explanation for that. Though of course you knew that really.

Surely the argument here is that the SNP got 1.4m out of 50m? This entitled them to 56 MP's? They haven't ceded from the UK just yet have they?

I suspect that is just a matter of time now, which personally I'm pleased over, I would never vote UKIP either, but it isn't fair. We need a PR system to genuinely reflect the wishes of our people...

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I can't see the electoral system staying as it is. The rise of support for "alternative" parties means that almost 25% of the electorate are now looking for something different.

How is it going to change? You think the conservatives will put this to a vote in parliament? Never going to happen, and labour won't either as they'll get even fewer seats. The combined votes of the parties mostly effected by this cannot force change as they don't have enough of a say. Have said for years we don't really have a true democracy here at all.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
We do need to accept that many of those voters were simply making a protest, and comment about our place in Europe. Many Labour and Tory voters that felt their vote wouldn't make a difference, will have voted UKIP to make a statement. If we had PR, they may have had a lot less votes.

I actually think they would have more votes under PR. Many people don't vote UKIP as there is no chance of them winning the seat, so vote Tory to ensure Labour do not get it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice to hear the locals in Thanet giving Nigel a fond goodbye.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Hehe 2.png

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Surely the argument here is that the SNP got 1.4m out of 50m? This entitled them to 56 MP's? They haven't ceded from the UK just yet have they?

I suspect that is just a matter of time now, which personally I'm pleased over, I would never vote UKIP personally but it isn't fair. We need a PR system...

I disagree. The SNP did not run in all those places, so all those people could not vote for them. They do have more seats than they should, but they are representing the opinions of the majority of people who they have tried to represent.

Listening to Farage right now, and it is the first time I have ever agreed with him. It is time for real electoral reform. Of course there is no chance of that whilst Cameron has a majority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here