Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not sure why Murray , Maupay, Hemed, Zamora , Baldock, Ulloa and Connolly - who have effectively been our front line in the last five years and scored 100s of goals are just dismissed out of hand or forgotten when people say this.
Play offs , promotion and 4 seasons on the premier league and multiple strikers who’ve scored 10+ goals or 20+ a season.
Don’t they count ?

Locadia and Akpom weren’t the only signings at the club in the last 5 years were they ?

Spot on. Amazes me how all of these are forgotten in the constant striker signing criticism on here.

As I’ve said before, our striker recruitment is no better or worse than any other club (except maybe Brentford and Peterborough!).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. Amazes me how all of these are forgotten in the constant striker signing criticism on here.

As I’ve said before, our striker recruitment is no better or worse than any other club (except maybe Brentford and Peterborough!).

Probably because Ulloa and Maupay aside all the others are somewhat flawed to say the least.

So the defence of the club boils down to 2 top quality strikers in 14 (?) windows of Albion v1.2.

All the while the club has done phenomenal business in every other position and coughed up weaselly excuses for not signing comparable strikers.

Call.me simple but I firmly believe that's about to change and most definitely would have changed if target #1, Nunez, had arrived.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Probably because Ulloa and Maupay aside all the others are somewhat flawed to say the least.

So the defence of the club boils down to 2 top quality strikers in 14 (?) windows of Albion v1.2.

All the while the club has done phenomenal business in every other position and coughed up weaselly excuses for not signing comparable strikers.

Call.me simple but I firmly believe that's about to change and most definitely would have changed if target #1, Nunez, had arrived.

Hemed scored 30 goals in 2 seasons , Baldock nearly 20 in that period - and both bought for a few million quid. And they got us promoted. Certainly fantastic vfm. Ask Derby for the millions of ££ they’ve wasted on strikers to get out of the Champ - and multiple other teams too. Connolly is a 20 year old premier league striker / Irish international bought for nothing.

Are they really not considered good signings ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/graham-potter-issues-update-striker-search-amid-folarin-balogun-and-divock-origi-speculation-2974482

This one this morning looks more positive... "looking good" actually used in search Certainly NOT well we have no money and we wont add to the squad.....

“Brighton have been linked with number of forwards during the window including Balogun, Origi and Rhian Brewster.

"It's looking good," said Potter when asked how the search was progressing. "Same as it was the last press conference. We are trying to improve the group of course if we can. It's the responsibility of the club during the transfer window.”

I’m hoping that no one has formed an attachment to Brewster as I think Sheff Utd will have him by the weekend judging by the rumours.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The bottom line is that we have generally baulked at paying market rates for strikers - one or two exceptions in fairness - and looked to find bargains on foreign fields. We've kept our heads above water, just, on this basis and until the development squad investment starts to pay dividends it will continue this way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hemed scored 30 goals in 2 seasons , Baldock nearly 20 in that period - and both bought for a few million quid. And they got us promoted. Certainly fantastic vfm. Ask Derby for the millions of ££ they’ve wasted on strikers to get out of the Champ - and multiple other teams too. Connolly is a 20 year old premier league striker / Irish international bought for nothing.

Are they really not considered good signings ?
I know exactly what you are going to say.
You know exactly what I am going to say.

So let's not bother.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
You didn't read the question. How effective was our 3rd striker?

Granted. But if we fail to bring in anyone else, I'd prefer to have Murray here as an option. He may not have expected to start many games or get that many goals but at least he does offers the ability to hold the ball up and is reasonably good in the air.

There is too much a reliance on Maupay now, and he only needs an injury, period of lack of form (hopefully the Chelsea performance was a one off from him - he had a poor game in my view), or to get sidelined for a couple of weeks due to Covid, just leaving us with our one novice in Connolly is madness.

Just my view but if the worst was to happen and no one else comes in I'd rather have had Murray here as cover than not.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The bottom line is that we have generally baulked at paying market rates for strikers - one or two exceptions in fairness - and looked to find bargains on foreign fields. We've kept our heads above water, just, on this basis and until the development squad investment starts to pay dividends it will continue this way.

It’s remarkable how the most successful period in the club history is dismissed as “keeping our heads above water” And this “market rate” argument - what ? if only we’d spent £40m on a few Hallers or JoeLintons ? Really ?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You didn't read the question. How effective was our 3rd striker?

He turned the game around away to West Ham when we were 3-1 down. Admittedly he didn’t get lots of minutes but he was a well proven Premier League striker that we could use should anything happen to Maupay. It’s now an option we don’t have.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Granted. But if we fail to bring in anyone else, I'd prefer to have Murray here as an option. He may not have expected to start many games or get that many goals but at least he does offers the ability to hold the ball up and is reasonably good in the air.

There is too much a reliance on Maupay now, and he only needs an injury, period of lack of form (hopefully the Chelsea performance was a one off from him - he had a poor game in my view), or to get sidelined for a couple of weeks due to Covid, just leaving us with our one novice in Connolly is madness.

Just my view but if the worst was to happen and no one else comes in I'd rather have had Murray here as cover than not.

Murray said, following promotion, he expected to be used more as an impact sub but would fight for his place. He's slowed down - but he is a fabulous goalscorer and so much more than just 'reasonable' in the air. Club probably wanted to keep him here but GM knew the likelihood of him playing was next to zero. Club is also looking at cost reduction to fund covid-shortfalls and new additions/improved contracts. But I agree, I'd rather have GM here as a 3rd/4th striker - he is a resilient ****er.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Murray "somewhat flawed to say the least"?

:facepalm: :wozza:

Mind you, you rate Ali J.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray said, following promotion, he expected to be used more as an impact sub but would fight for his place. He's slowed down - but he is a fabulous goalscorer and so much more than just 'reasonable' in the air. Club probably wanted to keep him here but GM knew the likelihood of him playing was next to zero. Club is also looking at cost reduction to fund covid-shortfalls and new additions/improved contracts. But I agree, I'd rather have GM here as a 3rd/4th striker - he is a resilient ****er.

Who, much like Duffy, doesn't have the skills for the team the manager is trying to create.

Who connected to the club would you want at the end of Lamptey's cross, Monday night?

Murray - yes? I'd imagine that would be the answer from everyone.

Who connected to the club is guaranteed to not be able to be on the end of Lamptey's cross?

In fairness to the poor old soul, I doubt throughout his career he ever would have been able to reach that (I was wheezy just watching).
If GPott isn't going to change his philosophies in order to keep one of the countries best goal defenders (note the subtext) he certainly isn't going to keep the player he had already phased out after lockdown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray "somewhat flawed to say the least"?

:facepalm: :wozza:

Mind you, you rate Ali J.

Some are more flawed than others.

For example I'm not sure how Connolly appears in a discussion about buying strikers and the cost therein.

Which brings us onto Murray, who basically got the gig because he lives round the corner.
Thankfully so as he filled his boots.

So much so in fact he earned a further completely unnecessary contract saving the club, yet again, from buying another striker.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Some are more flawed than others.

For example I'm not sure how Connolly appears in a discussion about buying strikers and the cost therein.

Which brings us onto Murray, who basically got the gig because he lives round the corner.
Thankfully so as he filled his boots.

So much so in fact he earned a further completely unnecessary contract saving the club, yet again, from buying another striker.

He got the gig because we recognised there was a striker available who would be an absolute monster in the Championship. Dismissing someone signed from the Premier League who got 23 goals in our promotion campaign as "somewhat flawed" is ridiculous. And Murray always goes round the corner. As I've posted on here a number of times "Murray to Newcastle" or similar is impossible. That's a fact. All in all it was one of our cleverest bits of recruitment ever in the striker department.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He got the gig because we recognised there was a striker available who would be an absolute monster in the Championship. Dismissing someone signed from the Premier League who got 23 goals in our promotion campaign as "somewhat flawed" is ridiculous. And Murray always goes round the corner. As I've posted on here a number of times "Murray to Newcastle" or similar is impossible. That's a fact. All in all it was one of our cleverest bits of recruitment ever in the striker department.

Yes I could have phrased it better, 'varying degrees of flawed' might have been more appropriate.
I apologise for causing a misrepresentation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes I could have phrased it better, 'varying degrees of flawed' might have been more appropriate.
I apologise for causing a misrepresentation.

To be fair he's pretty flawed now. His legs don't work and all the PL refs have worked out his backing in technique. But that's why he's on loan to Watford.

And that takes us full circle. The very fact we were prepared to let someone go who was sub-standard, even though they could have done a job for the last 15 mins of a game and scored from set pieces suggests we are very much in the market, striker wise.

Anyone who thinks this is "easy" should watch the All or Nothing Spurs episode on the transfer windown. Levy talks about how difficult recruitment is with the very real examples of Eriksen, Rose and Bergwijn to show for it, and that's just the bits they let you see on the show. Despite having Kane on crutches and Moura and Son up front they didn't even land a back up striker (Bergwijn is a winger).

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
He turned the game around away to West Ham when we were 3-1 down. Admittedly he didn’t get lots of minutes but he was a well proven Premier League striker that we could use should anything happen to Maupay. It’s now an option we don’t have.

You do realise that he had far more time than Ali yet scored one goal less (one in total) and had less assists (2). So essentially we only had 2 strikers from the moment we moved Andone on.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Granted. But if we fail to bring in anyone else, I'd prefer to have Murray here as an option.

He was an option in name only. Sorry, but for all the great service he had given us, by last season he was a spent force. As I have pointed out above, Ali was significantly more productive.

Don't get me wrong I think we do need a third recognised striker, but all this talk of without one we are doomed, is bollocks. As I have said, for all intents and purposes we only had two strikers for most of last season and yet we finished in a reasonable position.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here