Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Who, much like Duffy, doesn't have the skills for the team the manager is trying to create.

Who connected to the club would you want at the end of Lamptey's cross, Monday night?

Murray - yes? I'd imagine that would be the answer from everyone.

Who connected to the club is guaranteed to not be able to be on the end of Lamptey's cross?

In fairness to the poor old soul, I doubt throughout his career he ever would have been able to reach that (I was wheezy just watching).
If GPott isn't going to change his philosophies in order to keep one of the countries best goal defenders (note the subtext) he certainly isn't going to keep the player he had already phased out after lockdown.

Don't disagree with any of that. Happy with the choices the club are making, especially in relation to how a good coach is trying to play. I'm (just) still sore about Murray leaving after promotion to the Championship... "Let it go, let it go!"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He was an option in name only. Sorry but for all the great service he had given us, by last season he was a spent force. As I have pointed out above Ali was significantly more productive.

Don't get me wrong I think we do need a third recognised striker, but all this talk of without one we are doomed is bollocks. As I have said, for all intents and purposes we only had two strikers for most of last season and yet we finished in a reasonable position

This

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To be fair he's pretty flawed now. His legs don't work and all the PL refs have worked out his backing in technique. But that's why he's on loan to Watford.

And that takes us full circle. The very fact we were prepared to let someone go who was sub-standard, even though they could have done a job for the last 15 mins of a game and scored from set pieces suggests we are very much in the market, striker wise.

Anyone who thinks this is "easy" should watch the All or Nothing Spurs episode on the transfer windown. Levy talks about how difficult recruitment is with the very real examples of Eriksen, Rose and Bergwijn to show for it, and that's just the bits they let you see on the show. Despite having Kane on crutches and Moura and Son up front they didn't even land a back up striker (Bergwijn is a winger).

Not sure Spuds is a fair general representation. Levy is a tight arse with transfers.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You do realise that he had far more time than Ali yet scored one goal less (one in total) and had less assists (2). So essentially we only had 2 strikers from the moment we moved Andone on.

Are you arguing that Jahanbakhsh should be given a chance as striker? You can spin it whichever way you like, but discounting Murray from our striking options is absurd and frankly a little bit rude.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure Spuds is a fair general representation. Levy is a tight arse with transfers.

That's his reputation, yes.

But think of the similarities. Brand new ground, state of the art facilities, focus on academy players. Very Barber-esque, not by coincidence.

And the point of that episode of the show was that everything has to be lined up before a thing happens. Newcastle fans may have been debating "Danny Rose on Loan" as were Bournemouth but he didn't seem overly keen on either deal, eventually taking the loan to Newcastle that Levy considered would be worse for him. Inter fans would have been getting excited by Eriksen rumours but it only happened because Inter upped their offer to around 20m Euros and Spurs landed Bergwijn. Every single deal is like a house buying chain and I've been burned in one of those in something I considered I had no control over.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was an option in name only. Sorry, but for all the great service he had given us, by last season he was a spent force. As I have pointed out above, Ali was significantly more productive.

Don't get me wrong I think we do need a third recognised striker, but all this talk of without one we are doomed, is bollocks. As I have said, for all intents and purposes we only had two strikers for most of last season and yet we finished in a reasonable position.

But we didn’t though did we.
We had three. Murray contributed at West Ham, and holding the ball up in the last 15 mins when he came on, we currently do not have that option, as we saw Monday night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you arguing that Jahanbakhsh should be given a chance as striker? You can spin it whichever way you like, but discounting Murray from our striking options is absurd and frankly a little bit rude.

As you know NFL coach Bill Belichick works to the mantra:-

'Get rid a year before they're no good, don't wait till the year after'. (something like that anyway)

Talking about Murray now and going forward as if he is still the Murray of 2 seasons ago is equally absurd, esp as in that time the team has undergone a wholesale change in playing style.

Murray really doesn't have anything to offer this current set up, or for that matter any Premier League set up.

Ali clearly isn't doing it either, but like many others in the squad could do more.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'Get rid a year before they're no good, don't wait till the year after'. (something like that anyway)

You're saying we should have sold Alireza the year before we bought him? :whistle:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He was an option in name only. Sorry, but for all the great service he had given us, by last season he was a spent force. As I have pointed out above, Ali was significantly more productive.

Don't get me wrong I think we do need a third recognised striker, but all this talk of without one we are doomed, is bollocks. As I have said, for all intents and purposes we only had two strikers for most of last season and yet we finished in a reasonable position.

Very true - but we were lucky with injuries generally speaking last season. If October 5th passes 'without' an addition and then we lost Maupay to a bad injury for a considerable amount of time, I for one would be worried. I hope Maupay stays fit all season but if we don't strengthen then as others have said we leave ourselves very short of options.

The only positive could be that if this was to happen then it might force GP's hand and he would probably have to play Ali J for an extended period, and who knows we might see the best out of him?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the first time since we reached the PL I am totally accepting that we may not be able to sign the quality of striker we need. If we have to go with what we’ve got, so be it. It won’t be any reason other than finances so like so much that is going on now, we need to suck it up and live with it. There are far bigger problems than Albion not signing the player we would all love :shrug:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Talking about Murray now and going forward as if he is still the Murray of 2 seasons ago is equally absurd, esp as in that time the team has undergone a wholesale change in playing style.

Murray really doesn't have anything to offer this current set up, or for that matter any Premier League set up.

Ali clearly isn't doing it either, but like many others in the squad could do more.

Please don’t think I’m comparing the current Glen to the Murray of old, I appreciate the complete change in playing style and also the tailing off of Murray’s abilities. I’m not suggesting for one moment that he could/should/would be a starter or even a regular substitute, but personally I’d rather have an additional striker in the squad than not having one at all, at the moment we have 2, both of which are still quite raw at this level and have 13 top level goals between them, it makes me very nervous potentially playing the season with just those 2, personally I’d prefer if Murray was still here even just in an incredibly limited role.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Please don’t think I’m comparing the current Glen to the Murray of old, I appreciate the complete change in playing style and also the tailing off of Murray’s abilities. I’m not suggesting for one moment that he could/should/would be a starter or even a regular substitute, but personally I’d rather have an additional striker in the squad than not having one at all, at the moment we have 2, both of which are still quite raw at this level and have 13 top level goals between them, it makes me very nervous potentially playing the season with just those 2, personally I’d prefer if Murray was still here even just in an incredibly limited role.

Hopefully none of that will be valid after the window has slammed shut.

But as this is the Albion, nobody can be too sure, hence the length of this thread.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see the Premier League has secured an alternative deal for Chinese broadcasting rights, and told EPL clubs that they won't be out of pocket as a result. I think I read that the initial deal was worth around £9m pa to each EPL team....hence, this should be good news for smaller clubs like us. It MAY make a difference to how much we spend in this window....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe some inter-related good news that may help us? In last couple of hours just announced a new mega million TV deal agreed with new Chinese broadcast partner Tencent after previous 564 million deal with another Broadcaster was cancelled due non payment. The club were meant to have to pay back a sizeable amount due to load of broadcasting rights...... New China deal should equate to less to pay back or a little extra in the kitty?

Edit: should read first! [MENTION=990]Jim in the West[/MENTION] Post above says broadly same.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Oh dear me the polite police don't like the truth being spoken. He has had his day, he is not an option and was not an effective option last year. Not sure if I am arguing for Ali J, rather pointing out that based on the limited stats we have for last year, he was far more productive than Murray, so if you think Murray was a good 3rd striker last season(obviously I don't) then we have a better replacement already in the squad.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Oh dear me the polite police don't like the truth being spoken. He has had his day, he is not an option and was not an effective option last year. Not sure if I am arguing for Ali J, rather pointing out that based on the limited stats we have for last year, he was far more productive than Murray, so if you think Murray was a good 3rd striker last season(obviously I don't) then we have a better replacement already in the squad.

Polite police? Grow up.
Look, I’m stating my opinion and you’re stating yours, the difference being you’re broadcasting yours as if it is fact when there isn’t necessarily a definitive answer. You’re potentially advocating for a player who has been pretty dismal for us being utilised as the third striker, in my opinion that would be a bad idea being that Jahanbakhsh is a fairly limited player and can’t even hold down his own position, just because he scored 2 goals I don’t think that justifies giving him that role. As an insurance policy I’d like Murray to still be in the squad, at least until such times as a replacement arrives, you disagree, I can live with that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Polite police? Grow up.
Look, I’m stating my opinion and you’re stating yours, the difference being you’re broadcasting yours as if it is fact when there isn’t necessarily a definitive answer. You’re potentially advocating for a player who has been pretty dismal for us being utilised as the third striker, in my opinion that would be a bad idea being that Jahanbakhsh is a fairly limited player and can’t even hold down his own position, just because he scored 2 goals I don’t think that justifies giving him that role. As an insurance policy I’d like Murray to still be in the squad, at least until such times as a replacement arrives, you disagree, I can live with that.

I totally agree with your side of argument and sentiment.

Murray next season would still be a better attacker than Ali J. He is an instinctive striker, great header of the ball and good finisher. So his legs have gone a bit, his brain hasnt.

Ali J has shown nothing that he's even up to being any good in his natural position, to suggest he is a better attacker than a much lauded veteran of multiple double digit campaigns is quite frankly ludicrous.

Murray hadn't become bad, hasn't lost his instincts. What has changed is we have a new manager who has changed formation away from conventional wingers to something narrower, and wants to play through the lines. This simply suits other players more than a more traditional old school number 9.

His lack of game time is a more a reflection of the new managers ethos, shape and way he wants to play than Murray's instincts or ability as a striker.

Yes he's a bit physically slower, he would have scored Maupays and Dunks chances if he were in the same position. But he could have still been an effective sub or suited to some games. To even suggest Ali J could be better in the role than Murray..... madness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here