Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Music to the clubs ears.

Imagine Premier League football fans being happy with signing Troy Deeney.

With such a low bar set I'm waiting for my call from Mr Barber. :lol:

I didn’t feel like that at the beginning of the window [emoji2]
But bed wetting territory is approaching and to go in with two shorter players would be a disaster IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be impressed if you can match his 47 premier league goals in the last 5 seasons...

Far point.

Think Nello playing for his uni side.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Its all a lot of horseshit though. Would it be nice to have another proven striker? Yes.

But having just two recognised strikers plus one unproven (Gyökeres) and one who could play there (Trossard) is not very uncommon. Its actually rare to have three strikers that all produce significant numbers that couldnt be attained with playing some winger out of position.

Take Wolves last year. They had one central striker (Jimenez) and the times they decided to go with two up front, they put winger Jota next to him. No one else made an appearance as CF as far as I know. Tottenham had two (Kane & Son). City had two (Aguero and Jesus).

Its great two have three, or if you play two strikers up front a lot even four, established strikers but if you dont, there is still no reason to stockpile toilet paper and all the other shit panicking doomsday people do.

Wolves and spurs are comfortable in this league, not a slither of a chance they don't score enough to stay in this league. We are not Spurs or Wolves.

Maupay our best striker, is neither Kane nor Jimenez, he's a good championship striker with one season in the PL. Yes he did ok, but still not on anywhere near a comparative level.

Connolly is nothing more than a young rough diamond with potential, nothing more, nothing less....it may still go the other way. He's not a proven or established PL CF. Great against Spurs, then for all his efforts, nothing much and no threat at all for remaining games until one goal at Burnley. Connolly is not someone you can rely on to score enough to keep you in the league. We all hope he can, but nothing suggests he will be able.......yet.

Gykores is not an answer for PL ready potential scorer. 1 in 3 in bundesliga 2..... Trossard is not a striker, nor does he look effective as one. Ali J looks out of his depth at this level and as nice a guy he is, he cannot be relied on as a CF option at all.

Maupay, hit/miss - Connolly massive loss of form, Bundesliga 2 kid, lightweight winger doesn't look like a CF, winger out of depth.

If you think that's good enough to score enough to keep us comfortably in the PL (especially if Maupay has an issue) thank goodness you're not in our recruitment dept.

First team ready, goal scoring, natural attacker is a must.

Luckily the club does know it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn’t feel like that at the beginning of the window [emoji2]
But bed wetting territory is approaching and to go in with two shorter players would be a disaster IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give it 3 weeks.
I much prefer the thrill of lamenting missing the signing of Deeney. :lol:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think this summarises our situation perfectly. The market for strikers is grossly inflated, Locadia and to a lesser extent Ali J (jury still out...) have served as expensive warning shots. I think the club is going down the line of trying to get more goals from the existing squad and developing strikers via the U 23's/Development squad as opposed to spaffing dosh up the wall. Which means, if correct, that the next season or two could be tricky but if we emerge unscathed and are still in the PL in 2 years time, we will be that much stronger. Or we'll be back in the Championship.
Not really. There's plenty available on loan. I'm almost certain this is the route we are going now. Nunez was the man if were to splash the cash but that boat has sailed .

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1306199773431685122[/tweet]

61 followers,

hardly likely he has the first clue whats going on in our recruitment department, more baseless guesswork from a non ITK looking for some attention

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
61 followers,

hardly likely he has the first clue whats going on in our recruitment department, more baseless guesswork from a non ITK looking for some attention

The perfect cover note for someone not ITK judging by his recent exclusive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Club don't do running commentaries on recruitment / but not sure they can be any more obvious about their intentions. Here's some clues in the last 24 hours.

Brian Owen at the Argus: "The Seagulls are understood to still be looking to add with centre-forward seemingly an obvious target area."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18725423.graham-potter-praises-personality-albion-squad/

Naylor / The Athletic "Finding a solution to the [goalscoring] problem for Potter ...translates into signing another striker before the window shuts"
https://theathletic.com/2066757/2020/09/15/brighton-1-3-chelsea-maupay-strikers/

Potter on incoming "You try to find the right person, the right player, if you can to help the team that is already here"

Perhaps they might shift the hilarious 80% of people (what a half empty lot we are ) who think an imminent striker is a 50% chance or worse.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Perhaps they might shift the hilarious 80% of people (what a half empty lot we are ) who think an imminent striker is a 50% chance or worse.

I’m sure a lot of those who think we won’t sign one are aware the club is trying. But that’s not the question that was asked. The poll isnt about signing any striker but a QUALITY striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m sure a lot of those who think we won’t sign one are aware the club is trying. But that’s not the question that was asked. The poll isnt about signing any striker but a QUALITY striker.

Anything other than a QUALITY striker is just ridiculous. Ones for the future and desperate punts is not an option imo. Better to go with what we’ve got.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
It's been said a thousand times before and it will be said a thousand times again by football fans the length of the country what Brian Clough once said, " Spend as much as you can on a goalkeeper and a striker and the rest will sort itself out". Ignore at your peril.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As the available days tick away with no signings I'm getting more and more despondent about getting any striker in.

It's starting to look like we are going with what we have got. I hope we keep Gyökeres in this case.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As the available days tick away with no signings I'm getting more and more despondent about getting any striker in.

It's starting to look like we are going with what we have got. I hope we keep Gyökeres in this case.

If Klopp offered us Brewster on a season loan in the morning would you still be a No? !!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
What don't people understand when Potter repeatedly says goal scoring is a team effort and he expects more from Trossard, Connolly, Maupay and Ali? How they get to this is code for 'we are in the market for a new striker' is beyond me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here