Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How are you feeling about the new season?

What are your thoughts on the new season?

• I can't wait - it's always exciting.

Votes: 60 27.0%
  • So-so - I'm still in Summer/holiday mode.

Votes: 38 17.1%
  • Apprehensive - the Albion squad is not ready.

Votes: 97 43.7%
  • Dreading it - we're going to struggle.

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Where's the option for "? ? ? ? ? ? ?"

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Its a new start and a nee season. I personally am excited as always. We do have a weaker squad than the past few years but i fully expect it will be much stronger before then end of August. In between times i hope we can hold our own and pick up a few points

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I voted so so. Not so much due to being in holiday mode but quite frankly there has been nothing about the albion to lift spirits so far.

On a very personal level I've had to deal with the loss of my father in the last month. The man who introduced me to the albion and who I was so proud to take to withdean for our first match back in Brighton in 1999

So given all that, football seems just a little irrelevant. And all the digs and game playing going on just seem all very unnecessary.

Im sure in a few months I may feel different. My children will likely have some of their enthusiasm rub off onto me. But for now it's all a bit meh.
Sorry to hear about this, chin up there are 30,000 family members waiting for you at the Amex. Your hardest game is going to be the first.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Excited, albeit I can't go Saturday!

For me being in the 2nd tier in a great stadium and competing is still very very exciting.

It's been interesting reading some of the comments posted on here over the summer, personally I'm not one to get too upset/excited about player rumours etc, but it's amusing to see how some people on here react to the ups and downs of the transfer window - bed wetters :lolol:

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Looking forward to the new season as usual, the transfer and loan windows make life a tad different in this division and lead me to think Agents really rule this division, but I think that is the subject of a new thread. In general the loan window in September will be significant this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being a Brighton fan who pays his money to see his team:-

I'm looking forward to going 'home'.
I'm a fan so I will support my team, and enjoy it.
I'm a Brighton fan so I shall assume the worst until proven otherwise.
I will be pleased when we win.
Grumpy when we lose.
I will spend money when I have it, I won't when I don't.
I will be treated well by the people who are doing their job.
I will then come home and begin another week.

At no point will I feel like it's a matter of life and death.
At no point will I feel the need to be abusive towards any player, manager, or management team.

It's only a game.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Leaving midday on Friday for the 1,000 mile or so drive from holidays im southern France to be at the Amex 3pm Saturday. That surely must indicate a lack of despondency if not a surge in optimism exactly.
Wednesday had a poor season last year but have had a good pre season and come into the first game with some excellent signings and a lot of confidence. Of course I hope that what has deteriorated into a pretty shambolic pre aeason for us both in terms of on-field and off-field performance will not affect the players that we have. I think our defence is 2 players light of last season's quality but have high hopes of Dunk if he can develop the ability to maintain his focus. Midfield shows no indication of being settled in terms of personnel or roles and up front we need to find who of the players we have possesses the confidence to take responsibility. All-in-all not encouraging. I have no doubt at all that we will lose.
We let one or two too many players go and replacing them has, no matter how you look at it, been a disaster. I am convinced we will improve the squad by the end of the month but it may already be too late. I think midtable is the very best we can expect.
That said we will surely see some exciting football. I hope so as I have tickets for every game in August. Win or lose doesnt really come into it does it.....?

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I feel very underwhelmed.

My reasons for feeling like that?

Last season we sold Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd

We signed Stephens for a fee, Rodriguez on a free plus Lingaard on loan.

We have lost Kuszczak, Upson, Orlandi, Lopez and Ulloa in the summer who were all 1st team regulars last season

In my eyes we have signed Hughes to replace Upson, Toko to replace Bridcutt, O Grady to replace Barnes,Stockdale to replace Kuszczak

Stockdale is a fair replacement for Kuszczak and O Grady will fill the boots left by Barnes but the squad is much much weaker than last season.

Looking at different variations of starting line ups I just don't seem to get the feeling where i think oh yes that is a team that will scare the opposition

And after listening to the fans forum last night i just have this feeling we are playing russian roulette holding out for players on lower wages to sign at the last minute rather than capturing the targets we actually want to sign.

Bloom "We have our targets and are working on them"

Clayton was a target in January, announced in local paper we are due to sign him this week, now he is signing for Middlesbrough. Its just a feeling i have that the club are not serious about getting real quality in but just numbers to increase the squad at the right price to them (And yes i understand the club are sticking to FFP, but at detriment to the 1st team)

I could happily accept the above if the club actually said we are consolidating this season, we will be happy to finish mid table whilst Sami gets the team used to the way he wants them to play. We will work on building the team up to challenge for automatic promotion within the next 2/3 season.

However that won't happen because the club know the fan base want to see as competitive a team as possible and they risk increasing the churn of the season ticket holders.

My interpretation from last night was don't expect to much before the season starts as the board are hoping to cherry pick players from clubs in January that fall foul of FFP

Just my feeling and opinion at present but i hope i am wrong!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I find it difficult to get excited about football in August, it's far too early for the season to start.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
1071940_bedwet_jpgf3387113ff41200145ed7a8eb6079688

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I feel very underwhelmed.

My reasons for feeling like that?

Last season we sold Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd

We signed Stephens for a fee, Rodriguez on a free plus Lingaard on loan.

We have lost Kuszczak, Upson, Orlandi, Lopez and Ulloa in the summer who were all 1st team regulars last season

In my eyes we have signed Hughes to replace Upson, Toko to replace Bridcutt, O Grady to replace Barnes,Stockdale to replace Kuszczak

Stockdale is a fair replacement for Kuszczak and O Grady will fill the boots left by Barnes but the squad is much much weaker than last season.

Looking at different variations of starting line ups I just don't seem to get the feeling where i think oh yes that is a team that will scare the opposition

And after listening to the fans forum last night i just have this feeling we are playing russian roulette holding out for players on lower wages to sign at the last minute rather than capturing the targets we actually want to sign.

Bloom "We have our targets and are working on them"

Clayton was a target in January, announced in local paper we are due to sign him this week, now he is signing for Middlesbrough. Its just a feeling i have that the club are not serious about getting real quality in but just numbers to increase the squad at the right price to them (And yes i understand the club are sticking to FFP, but at detriment to the 1st team)

I could happily accept the above if the club actually said we are consolidating this season, we will be happy to finish mid table whilst Sami gets the team used to the way he wants them to play. We will work on building the team up to challenge for automatic promotion within the next 2/3 season.

However that won't happen because the club know the fan base want to see as competitive a team as possible and they risk increasing the churn of the season ticket holders.

My interpretation from last night was don't expect to much before the season starts as the board are hoping to cherry pick players from clubs in January that fall foul of FFP

Just my feeling and opinion at present but i hope i am wrong!

Pretty much sums it up for me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Apprehensive - the Albion squad is not ready. Perfect summation.

As I've been saying for weeks, we are simply poorly prepared for this season.

As I also said, ST sales are down - PB says this is normal, but I say one of the major contributors is lack of investment in the 1st team squad.

Not good enough. Player recruitment needs a thorough overhaul, and that includes DB and his team.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
With all the negativity I have read in recent days/weeks, I have absolutely no doubt that our under-prepared, lacking in quality team will give Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: a right good spanking on Saturday. Bring it on, I say.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
With all the negativity I have read in recent days/weeks, I have absolutely no doubt that our under-prepared, lacking in quality team will give Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: a right good spanking on Saturday. Bring it on, I say.

Me too, reckon we'll get off to a great start!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A mixture of excitement and apprehension....but I've ticked excited because I'm a licker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here