Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think Barnes record speak for itself, however Buckley is a quality finisher that but unfortunatly been hampered by injuries.

If we had a one on one I know who I would fancy to finish it. If it needs calm in a high presssure game I also know who I would fancy. Barnes is many things but I am doubt he is our most natural finisher.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we had a one on one I know who I would fancy to finish it.
Who (baring in mind that Buckley has a 1 on 1 in the second half vs Huddersfield, and he didn't score)?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we had a one on one I know who I would fancy to finish it. If it needs calm in a high presssure game I also know who I would fancy. Barnes is many things but I am doubt he is our most natural finisher.

I'd say Buckley has the edge but Barnes is a VERY instinctive finisher, far more than CMS for example.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'd say Buckley has the edge but Barnes is a VERY instinctive finisher, far more than CMS for example.

By instinctive do you mean if he does not have time to think about it ? If so he does seem to miss a fair number of those.

I do think CMS has a decent track record for finishing from his time at Posh alone. I would back CMS over Barnes on a one on one.

I am not criticising Barnes by the way. If he was a Championship 20 goal a season man in addition to his other attributes he would probably be playing at a higher level than us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
By instinctive do you mean if he does not have time to think about it ? If so he does seem to miss a fair number of those.

I do think CMS has a decent track record for finishing from his time at Posh alone. I would back CMS over Barnes on a one on one.

I am not criticising Barnes by the way. If he was a Championship 20 goal a season man in addition to his other attributes he would probably be playing at a higher level than us.

CMS is far more wasteful and misses many more sitters than Barnes - Barnes out scored him from defensive left wing while CMs played as a striker last season. CMS gets about 4 to 5 times the amount of chances Barnes gets.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is a tough ask to finish every single one on one. I would put more money on Buckley than any other member of the squad.
Indeed it is a tough ask, and you may well be right. But I imagine Barnes, CMS and Dobbie would do ok too. Not that it matters, there's more to finishing than one on ones.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never expect any striker to score in a one on one. a) it sets you up for disappointment, b) it ignores the contribution the keeper makes to a one on one, c) years of the cliché "he done the hard part" has convinced too many people that scoring is easy.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Great to see so many on here backing Hoskins. I think he'll come into form after a couple of starts and get six or seven by the end of the season earning a new deal.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Indeed it is a tough ask, and you may well be right. But I imagine Barnes, CMS and Dobbie would do ok too. Not that it matters, there's more to finishing than one on ones.

Of course. The original point was a natural finisher. To me Buckley looks the most assured in front of goal and is able to pass the ball into the net. What his heading is like I have no idea. I am not sure I have seen him head it.

I would think Dobbie is probably a close second based on goals I have seen on tv highlights.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
CMS is far more wasteful and misses many more sitters than Barnes - Barnes out scored him from defensive left wing while CMs played as a striker last season. CMS gets about 4 to 5 times the amount of chances Barnes gets.

I would not judge CMS too harshly on last season. Something was up, our style of play or whatever. I would never say that CMS is a natural finisher, but he looks more of a goal scorer to me than Barnes. There must be a reason Gus does not play Barnes up front. It can't just be because he puts a defensive shift in.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Great to see so many on here backing Hoskins. I think he'll come into form after a couple of starts and get six or seven by the end of the season earning a new deal.

This is mainly hope though isn't it. I would love Hoskins to contribute to our goals tally - and we have seem glimpses. For example his movement is much better than CMS's. But not a lot on which to base a great weight of expectation. At least I haven't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
CMS doesn't EVER score one-on-ones. EVER.

The only time I can remember us scoring with a chance like that, was when he was clean through v Coventry (?) at home, and he smashed it straight at the keeper, but it ricocheted off him, then against their defender, and into the net.

(Barnes did exactly the same thing, away to Bristol Rovers, the previous season).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here