Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
There does seem to be a bit of a Cult of Hoskins on here, pressumably due to him not being Ashley Barnes.

Granted he has been unlucky with injuries, but in his limited appearances for the club he has not looked all that. The game at Millwall last year, the only reason his performance was not called into questions was due to Harley's penalty attempt. OK he scored at Cardiff and looked OK against Newcastle, but then he promptly, for his own reasons decided to go to Sheffield Utd on loan, rather than fight for a place with us.

Now he did look half decent when he came on during the Huddersfield game and could have got a goal. But there is little to no evidence at present to suggest he is the magical player some on here seem to be hyping him up to be.

For the record I do hope he is decent, as he becomes another option, but I do not get the hype about him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No surprise he isn't available to loan out. He could end up a better player than Glenn Murray.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Do you know for a fact that Gus orchestrated his name being left out? Your shit stirring is unnecessary.

Gus is the manager. My guess is that if Gus had wanted his name included in the team list it would have been there.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Big question is can he keep fit,but pleased to see him 'back in the fold' after seemingly being cast assunder by Poyet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There does seem to be a bit of a Cult of Hoskins on here, pressumably due to him not being Ashley Barnes.

Granted he has been unlucky with injuries, but in his limited appearances for the club he has not looked all that. The game at Millwall last year, the only reason his performance was not called into questions was due to Harley's penalty attempt. OK he scored at Cardiff and looked OK against Newcastle, but then he promptly, for his own reasons decided to go to Sheffield Utd on loan, rather than fight for a place with us.

Now he did look half decent when he came on during the Huddersfield game and could have got a goal. But there is little to no evidence at present to suggest he is the magical player some on here seem to be hyping him up to be.

For the record I do hope he is decent, as he becomes another option, but I do not get the hype about him.

You are Ash Barnes and I claim my prize! ;-)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He was pretty decent at Derby too, apart from that fluffed shot as he went down with cramp. I do think he gives us something different, is quite 'Murray' like in terms of how he plays and gives us another option. I'm pretty happy with our strikeforce and if we stuck with what we have until the end of the season think we can acheive our target of in/around play offs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I think you answered that already - it's because he's not Ashley Barnes and so many on here don't seem to rate Barnes.

I'm hoping Hoskins proves to be an out-and-out striker who can also hold the ball up, as we badly need such a player. CMS can't hold the ball up whereas Barnes can hold the ball up but will often then misplace the pass if indeed he's far enough up the pitch to receive the ball in the first place.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
You are Ash Barnes and I claim my prize! ;-)

Your prize is a one way trip to Croydon.

I am indifferent to Barnes, not sure what he brings to the team as a winger, but should be an OK back up striker.

I do not get how people can rave about Hoskins, when to date his most notable action was to leave the club on loan, rather than fight for his place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually yes I believe he has said, he only puts players on the programmes if he feels they are likely to be in the squad and deserve it. Hoskins disappeared the same time as Sparrow and Vincelot...
Gus is the manager. My guess is that if Gus had wanted his name included in the team list it would have been there.
Fair enough.

But if Gus didn't think he deserved to be in the squad, is that out of order, or could it have been for good reason? Gus doesn't normally seem like that, he's kept average players in our squad for ages, to give them a chance, and Hoskins is better than a lot of them.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
dare I say it but he finally seems fit, has had a couple of cameos and a few reserves games without reactions.

Good option to have (seeing as we largely had no options up front)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think you answered that already - it's because he's not Ashley Barnes and so many on here don't seem to rate Barnes.

I'm hoping Hoskins proves to be an out-and-out striker who can also hold the ball up, as we badly need such a player. CMS can't hold the ball up whereas Barnes can hold the ball up but will often then misplace the pass if indeed he's far enough up the pitch to receive the ball in the first place.

Then as Poyet's template never allows us to have 2 strikers, we either have the work rate of CMS or a player than can hold the ball up, not both.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Then as Poyet's template never allows us to have 2 strikers, we either have the work rate of CMS or a player than can hold the ball up, not both.
I'm not sure about that. It could just be that he considers a second striker a waste of time if neither of them can hold up play with their back to goal and bring others into play. Instead, if we are under pressure it seems he'd rather fill midfield and let them play their way out of trouble with numerical superiority.

I think Murray's strength in league one was always that he provided a back to goal outlet, and it allowed Barnes to push forward more often. But since then we haven't had anyone who can do that. Hoskins might be that man.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure about that. It could just be that he considers a second striker a waste of time if neither of them can hold up play with their back to goal and bring others into play. Instead, if we are under pressure it seems he'd rather fill midfield and let them play their way out of trouble with numerical superiority.

I think Murray's strength in league one was always that he provided a back to goal outlet, and it allowed Barnes to push forward more often. But since then we haven't had anyone who can do that. Hoskins might be that man.

Disagree.

His template is one up front, it should be 4-5-1 that becomes 4-3-3 when we attack, but Barnes lacks the pace to make this happen.

He showed last season that he will only play one foward when it was one of CMS or Vokes.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

I think it has been mentioned previously that his wife lost a baby around that time and was living in Nottingham?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Still see him on the bench for Saturday ...CMS still top scorer and his form isent tht bad tht he will start on the bench and although I see the usual clamour for Hoskins to replace Barnes I can't see it happening against Bolton with Painter likely to play ..no respect to him but we will need Barnes defensive play IMHO

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The great thing is with Dobbie, Hoskins, CMS and Barnes all fit we now have strikers who will all be fighting to keep their place. They should all up their game. Before CMS and Barnesy were guaranteed to start, even if they had a bad performance the previous game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Your prize is a one way trip to Croydon.

I am indifferent to Barnes, not sure what he brings to the team as a winger, but should be an OK back up striker.

I do not get how people can rave about Hoskins, when to date his most notable action was to leave the club on loan, rather than fight for his place.

If you can't see Hoskins' quality on the ball, then may I suggest you take the one-way trip you mention.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Disagree.

His template is one up front, it should be 4-5-1 that becomes 4-3-3 when we attack, but Barnes lacks the pace to make this happen.

He showed last season that he will only play one foward when it was one of CMS or Vokes.

I agree with you re Gus' views on 1 striker. I just disagree with not playing 2 upfront, even when you are playing at home.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
When many people were demanding we sign a target man a few believed that this guy was signed for a reason and we should see what he could do first. I really hope he stays fit and gets a run in the side and more, importantly scores goals!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Disagree.

As you said yourself, his template (when we're playing well) is 433, so 3 strikers. When we destroyed League One we often started with 3 strikers. I'd like us to get to a point where we can always start 3 of the following 5 in those 3 spots

CMS
Buckley
Barnes
Dobbie
Hoskins

I think it's a pretty good set of options actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here