Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hosepipe Ban

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am a silly old bint, and I am in the area with a hosepipe ban, but I’ve received an email to say I’m exempt. Yes, I am classed as ambulant disabled, and I can carry a watering can, but SE Water don’t know that. I think it’s caring to email all priority customers.
I won’t be using a hosepipe as my garden is very small.
My wife is exempt from the ban for the same reason so I can carry on watching her water the plants as usual. I’d like to help but I’m not breaking the law for anyone.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Worth pointing out this is South East Water not Southern Water. a quick look at the maps show the ban is north and east of Brighton and Lewes, but Brighton, Lewes and weatward are not covered by the ban-
Capture.PNG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My wife is exempt from the ban for the same reason so I can carry on watching her water the plants as usual. I’d like to help but I’m not breaking the law for anyone.
All well and good but when there’s no water at all, a watering can is useless.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We had a very wet winter, whole fields were under water for months. Our ability to store water is not fit for purpose these days.
I think you will find that storing water is way way down our countries priorities currently.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We had a very wet winter, whole fields were under water for months. Our ability to store water is not fit for purpose these days.
…..and we still pump millions of gallons of raw sewage into our waters. But good bonuses for the water company execs so it’s all fine :facepalm:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
We have had no water whatsoever since Monday mid-morning. The sole reason SEW have given is "it's hot, people are using more water" and they cannot pump enough to meet demand, which basically means we don't get any water until this resolves itself naturally. Their strategy to get water back to us was to wait for Autumn.

Under pressure from local MPs, they have now agreed to enact a hosepipe ban in the area, solely so they can get their levels back up / manage the demand.

Ironically, with a good throw, I could get a stone into Bewl from where I live.

1686926979314.png

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I also liked the fact that it wasn't until today, i.e.: the fifth day that thousands of people have had no water, did SEW actually tell us what the problem and resolution was. And it was only Thursday that they even coloured the map red to acknowledge the problem.

Prior to this they had a general statement about it being hot, and then listed all the things they'd done in the last 12 months to improve the network. Obviously that didn't work, so it's not much comfort.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that some vulnerable / housebound people have seriously suffered due to SEW's utter incompetence. Took them days to get reasonable amounts of bottled water to people

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
…..and we still pump millions of gallons of raw sewage into our waters. But good bonuses for the water company execs so it’s all fine :facepalm:

It's quite remarkable the way these companies aren't able to actually supply the water they are contracted to in the summer, constantly lose huge amounts through lack of maintenance, flood our seas and rivers with sewage, but still somehow manage to make 'profits' year on year on year. Not that I would suggest there is anything underhand going on ???

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Water has been running down Friston Hill for weeks now. It's been reported by many, still not fixed. And that's one of hundreds of leaks in the SE Water area. Piss poor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's quite remarkable the way these companies aren't able to actually supply the water they are contracted to in the summer, constantly lose huge amounts through lack of maintenance, flood our seas and rivers with sewage, but still somehow manage to make 'profits' year on year on year. Not that I would suggest there is anything underhand going on ???
It’s (yet another) disgrace :down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Running the debts up every year.

During the last full financial year to the end of March 2022, England’s water companies spent almost £3.8bn on servicing debt and paying annual dividends to shareholderswhile all nine invested £1.8bn in environmental improvements.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A hosepipe and sprinkler ban has been imposed on people in Kent and Sussex.

South East Water said it had no choice after demand for drinking water had reached "record levels" in June, similar to last year's drought.

Up to 4,000 customers are without water or have been experiencing low pressure since Monday due to supply issues.

The water company had urged people to only use water for essential purposes, but has now issued an immediate ban on hosepipes and sprinklers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"It is understood that the Temporary Usage Ban can only be enforced after ten days of consultation, meaning after 26 June rule-breakers could be hit with a £1,000 fine."

Best top up the swimming pool pronto.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We have had no water whatsoever since Monday mid-morning. The sole reason SEW have given is "it's hot, people are using more water" and they cannot pump enough to meet demand, which basically means we don't get any water until this resolves itself naturally. Their strategy to get water back to us was to wait for Autumn.

Under pressure from local MPs, they have now agreed to enact a hosepipe ban in the area, solely so they can get their levels back up / manage the demand.

Ironically, with a good throw, I could get a stone into Bewl from where I live.

View attachment 162352
the population hasnt suddenly risen in East Sussex/Kent, so either people are hosing down lawns or they have a substantial leak somewhere.

cant understand why hose pipe ban didnt come in days ago and take effect immediatly - another 10 days of hose use isnt going to help anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here