Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hosepipe Ban

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When S Water announced the ban it was clearly East Sussex and Kent, east of Brighton. Such a huge region, that was the area suffering

Lazy journalists latterly have just used the word Sussex or implying it’s a blanket ban by S Water over its entire area.

South East Water announced the ban…SW if I recall correctly only banned those in Hants and IOW…by the end of the week it’ll probably include WS

I’m still using a hose……………to fill up the watering can

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As I'm sure many others are, I'm on that nextdoor neighbour internet thingy. This morning some silly old bint was saying that the hosepipe ban didn't effect Brighton and Hove. Just before I put the silly old bint straight, I decided to checkout the link to Southern Water here https://www.southernwater.co.uk/drought-restrictions

Well bugger me backwards, it appears the people's republic of Brighton and Hove is exempt, Who'd have thunk it :thumbsup:

I've seen that thread and there are a lot of idiots that clearly don't understand the difference between Southern Water and South Eastern Water. Nor understand the hosepipe ban for Southern is only for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. I really don't understand why people are confused.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've seen that thread and there are a lot of idiots that clearly don't understand the difference between Southern Water and South Eastern Water. Nor understand the hosepipe ban for Southern is only for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. I really don't understand why people are confused.

I'm guessing as mentioned earlier in the thread, that a lot of people had, like myself, simply heard the lazy word 'Sussex' being used on news headlines :shrug:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m with a company called Independent Water Networks, pretty sure they are a close ally of our new build builders.

They haven’t said a thing on the matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The water level in our well is still over 4m (down from a maximum of 6m) so I think we should be OK until the rains come next week.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
On the subject of exemptions I had my neighbour knock on my door last week informing me he is exempt from the hosepipe ban and if I wanted to borrow his hosepipe I could.

Now what you should know is he is a nosey silly old fool who has on numerous occasions told many a white lie. He once removed his fence panel and pushed his shed/summer house back on to the waste ground behind his boundary, when the council caught up with him he told them it had been like that for 20 years despite the fact he'd only lived in the property for 2 at that point.

As he is the bottom of the cul-de-sac I'm the only property that can see into his back garden so I'm assuming its a load of bollocks and he isn't actually exempt he just wants to keep watering his plants/lawn during the ban without me bubbling him (not that I would anyway)? Or is he actually telling the truth and there are exemptions for certain residential properties?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
On the subject of exemptions I had my neighbour knock on my door last week informing me he is exempt from the hosepipe ban and if I wanted to borrow his hosepipe I could.

Now what you should know is he is a nosey silly old fool who has on numerous occasions told many a white lie. He once removed his fence panel and pushed his shed/summer house back on to the waste ground behind his boundary, when the council caught up with him he told them it had been like that for 20 years despite the fact he'd only lived in the property for 2 at that point.

As he is the bottom of the cul-de-sac I'm the only property that can see into his back garden so I'm assuming its a load of bollocks and he isn't actually exempt he just wants to keep watering his plants/lawn during the ban without me bubbling him (not that I would anyway)? Or is he actually telling the truth and there are exemptions for certain residential properties?

If he is registered disabled he will be exempt.
If he isn't, it'll be another fib

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
He could well be. He's not long for this world, walks with a stick and has poor eyesight (so he tells me every single time I see him).

Begs the next question though.......why are disabled people exempt?

I presume because they are unable to carry a watering can?
I only know this because our next door (disabled) neighbour showed me his exemption letter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Southern Water? or South East Water? (different companies)

Sorry, I meant SE Water - when they announced a future ban date for their area (which has always excluded West Sussex, Brighton and Hove), within hours lazy or hyperbolic hacks described Sussex as being under a hosepipe ban.

S Water's was much announced later but activated sooner.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Yes. You can use hose in Brighton and Hove.

And Worthing.

No excuse to not wash my car this weekend and the car wash is the better option.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Slightly off topic but relevant.

Water companies not keeping up with maintaining sewers and the hot weather has caused a large sink hole in Seaford.

[tweet]1557717240694378499[/tweet]

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The hosepipe ban from SE Water comes into effect tomorrow, so last night I filled up my water butts, just over 2000 litres. All the watering is done with watering cans filled from them.

Anyone who says I will still be using a hose is mistaken and if there are pictures of me using one I can assure it wasn't me but if it was all rules were followed.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Slightly off topic but relevant.

Water companies not keeping up with maintaining sewers and the hot weather has caused a large sink hole in Seaford.

[tweet]1557717240694378499[/tweet]

At least it seems to be confined to the sinkhole unlike Lancing where streets have been flooded with sewage six times since last October.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From The I today.

£123bn capital expenditure of last 30 years financed by customer bills, borrowing funded £57bn in shareholder dividends.

Bills doubled over the last 15 years.

Whereas Scotland without privatised water companies, 35 percent more investment per household, and bills 14% lower

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here