Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hosepipe Ban

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
BBC were saying it starts on 26 June but SE water website states its from now. As does the email I received from them.
there is a ten day "consultation" period during which no fines are issued- so the ban is officially from now, but cant be enforced by fines until the ten days are up-

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
BBC SE just spent a record breaking 20 minutes on this, live from Bewl Water. Reservoir levels are high.

This has been caused by unprecedented demand starting last Saturday. People going mad with their garden hoses on.

A King Canute attitude to gardening. Our climate is rapidly changing, every summer three months of intense heat. We need to adapt to different plants and not be obsessed with an artificially lush lawn.
100% this - Stop and think about it, we're using DRINKING water to keep this stupid 17th century idea that somehow finely cut grass is somehow a thing of beauty! Plant wildflowers, plant drought resistant plants, plant trees. Using this valuable resource like this is nuts.

Oh, and it is absolutely fine to let your car get a bit dusty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I understand it, it's not reservoir levels, it's storage and supply of treated water. Must be all the hundreds of thousands of people that suddenly and without warning moved here; I mean if they had any inkling that demand would rise they could have built more treatment/storage capacity.
It's a problem of their own making and I will use the water in my water butts (I've got about 2500 litres dotted around the garden) to water my vegetables. If/when that runs out I'll refill them with a hose at night.

Clever thinking :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
100% this - Stop and think about it, we're using DRINKING water to keep this stupid 17th century idea that somehow finely cut grass is somehow a thing of beauty! Plant wildflowers, plant drought resistant plants, plant trees. Using this valuable resource like this is nuts.

That suits me, I've only ever cleaned my car about every 9 months maximum.

I give up my attempt at a 'perfect' lawn/football pitch this autumn. This is the first year I haven't put weed-n-feed on it, the moment the ground's soft I'm preparing it to become an orchard and a chalk downland meadow with Yellow Rattle also.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That suits me, I've only ever cleaned my car about every 9 months maximum.

I give up my attempt at a 'perfect' lawn/football pitch this autumn. This is the first year I haven't put weed-n-feed on it, the moment the ground's soft I'm preparing it to become an orchard and a chalk downland meadow with Yellow Rattle also.

I'm now looking at alternative 'lawns' (to the straw I currently have) for my garden :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

As I previously said, I have about 2500 litres of rainwater in several water butts. I use it to water all the vegetables in the greenhouse, in tubs and beds. This is part of my food supply for the summer/autumn (I've got spuds, onions, garlic, chiilies, tomatos, sweetcorn, peas, beans, strawberries, cucumbers, melons and probably other stuff). I'll be buggered if I'll let it all die because SE water haven't invested enough in infrastructure.
Agree about the grass and car washing though

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
BBC SE just spent a record breaking 20 minutes on this, live from Bewl Water. Reservoir levels are high.

This has been caused by unprecedented demand starting last Saturday. People going mad with their garden hoses on.

A King Canute attitude to gardening. Our climate is rapidly changing, every summer three months of intense heat. We need to adapt to different plants and not be obsessed with an artificially lush lawn.
As long as the gardens are not then paved, which stops water soaking into the ground, and also leads to more water heading into the sewage systems to be treated (and we know how poor they are at that and likely to end up with more untreated spills into our waterways)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/about/updates/tubs not imposed until 26th June, whats that mean in plain English?

It means they are lying about a ban starting now and are trying to scare people into submission a week before the ban really starts.

I read it as 'Hey everyone, we're a bit low on water and will need a ban shortly, so quickly water your plants, wash your cars, and fill your pools and water butts while you still can'.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Apparently Southern water aren't following suit....or so I've wanted to hear
There's a useful Southern Water hosepipe ban checker here https://www.southernwater.co.uk/drought-restrictions
Nothing in Brighton...yet. Its raining now (yay) although I doubt it'll refill the water butts. Southern Water have plans for a new reservoir over Portsmouth way and are looking at options including desalination plants this way.
EDIT: plans include reducing household use to 100 litres/ person / day (currently about 120) . More here: https://www.southernwater.co.uk/media/2266/business-plan-20-25-summary.pdf

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The hosepipe ban would appear to be unenforcible in East Sussex.
The Flood and Water Management Act (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/29/section/36) says
Before the period for which a prohibition is to apply the water undertaker must give notice of the prohibition and its terms—
(a)in at least two newspapers circulating in the area to which it is to apply, and
(b)on the water undertaker's internet website.

but SE Water seem to only have put notices in Kent Messenger, Kentish Express and Kentish Gazette on 22/06/2023.

So having failed to comply, they cannot enforce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here