Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HORSEMEAT-Crikey!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well I'm just glad I'm a Vegitarian at times such as this, although I am disappointed at the lack of puns from you lot. It's one of the few things that fills me with unbridled joy on here these days.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Big clue - just avoid anything that contains mascarpone. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Indeed. At one level it doesn't really matter if it's horse, beef or brontosaurus; it's the principle that's important. We need to be able to trust the label and trust the 'provenance'.

You're never going to get complete disclosure though are you? No one would buy meat products if companies were forced to list all the blended animal by-products that go into meat products. As LE19 says, the same could be levelled at the fat and other crap pumped into many vegetarian products.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There was a documentary last year ( can't for the life of me remember the name ) that exposed the corruption right through the food industry from manufacturer to supermarket. The industry will do anything to make their profits and use dangerous ingredients and questionable practices. Vegetarian food is not immune from this either.

The previous government even commissioned a report on the industry and it's dodgy practices. When they started to consider legislation they were leaned on by the industry and rapidly buried the report. It's scandalous how the food industry acts and even more scandalous that the government are in bed with the industry.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Would you find it amusing if non-food shops sold you goods that weren't as described? Swap a Nokia for an iPhone, maybe? It's still a phone isn't it?

I see nothing wrong with eating horse meat, but I want to know what I'm buying, and I want to know that it's of good quality. If the retailers don't know what it is, they probably don't know where it came from, or whether it's full of drugs. I doubt it would conform to the usual food standards.
This is the problem - I have nothing against eating horse per se but I've heard* that because they weren't supposed to be consumed by humans the horses have been given drugs which can be harmful to humans.

*ie the wife mentioned it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're never going to get complete disclosure though are you? No one would buy meat products if companies were forced to list all the blended animal by-products that go into meat products. As LE19 says, the same could be levelled at the fat and other crap pumped into many vegetarian products.
No, never complete disclosure. But it's one thing not listing all the ingredients and another thing lying and saying that your product contains Substance X when in fact it contains Substance Y instead.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I'm in the 'don't really care what it is as long as it tastes good' camp. Obviously, I think the Supermarkets should have advertised that they may contain horse meat, to give people a free choice. But other than that, I can't really see the big deal? People eating meat must have pretty strange morals if they're fine with eating beef but against eating horse imo.

for me - the correct answer 100% this.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I really don't get the fuss, we'll happily eat cow but balk at the idea of horse? If it tastes good lets eat it I say. Fair enough they it's false advertising but the argument I've seen from some that eating horse is somehow not ok but pigs cows and chickens is fine is a load of bollocks. (bus)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here