Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HORSEMEAT-Crikey!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
health / safety issues aside, its a breach of trust - being told (and charged for) something that is supposedly beef when it isnt, is so wrong.

I've not knowingly had horsemeat before, and in other countries it seems to be popular (doctors even give it on prescription, to reduce fat in diets, in Italy??)

Exactly and also the very worrying fact that some food manufacturers haven't got a Scooby what's in their products.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360512915.113021.jpg

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
seems it is now widespread.

BBC News - Horsemeat tests ordered on beef products

is it just me or is it our supermarkets are being shown up as having a "dont give a toss" attitude where the meat comes from as long as we can palm it off,and as long as we dont get caught

can you now trust what is on the shelf when you buy it?

Total crap- sorry but if you cannot trust a brand that has been sold in the UK since 1958 there is a concern. Why blame the supermarkets?

Every retail unit that sells these products is vulnerable to this. It is the manufacturer at fault here, not the retailer.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Total crap- sorry but if you cannot trust a brand that has been sold in the UK since 1958 there is a concern. Why blame the supermarkets?

Every retail unit that sells these products is vulnerable to this. It is the manufacturer at fault here, not the retailer.

Every part of the chain is culpable. Retailers have the ultimate responsibility as they are selling to the public. Surely they need to know that the products they are selling are as described. I very much hope that there are criminal prosecutions and multi million pound fines coming out of this. Somehow as only the lower end of the food buying public are involved I doubt it.

Also, why hasn't a ban of meat imports from France and the rest of Europe been imposed? They were quick enough to ban British Beef when the 'mad cow' episode broke.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the thing that has surprised me about this is that I'd blithely assumed that animals simply went from farm to slaughterhouse to factory to supermarket. Granted there may be a bit of transportation involved as the different stages may have been in different countries, but in essence it was a simple three-step trail. However it turns out that there are agents, dealers, middlemen, etc and that in fact on its journey from farm to street a kilo of meat passes through nearly as many hands (and nearly as anonymously) as a kilo of heroin.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
If everyone in the media shuts up about the horse meat scandal I will eat an entire horse to show how much I really don't care

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Last edited:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
seems it is now widespread.

BBC News - Horsemeat tests ordered on beef products

is it just me or is it our supermarkets are being shown up as having a "dont give a toss" attitude where the meat comes from as long as we can palm it off,and as long as we dont get caught

can you now trust what is on the shelf when you buy it?

My local butcher said today they are seeing loads of new faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here