b67x4k.jpg

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
makes me laugh,
to be fair, i've eaten horses, dogs, cats etc.. and everyone gets a freak on,
but do people give a shit about the MSG in their chinese takeaways, which is way worse, or the e numbers making our kids strange, or the unknown and horrific shit that goes on with genetically modifies food???
i guess the media has no real interest,(???) in these stories, as it's a multi billion pound shitstorm,
however, horsemeat..........
Please forgive my ignorance, why is MSG so bad ? From the very little I know about it, it's a natural substance isn't it ? The way it's been explained to me is that's its no more of a chemical than the water we drink or the oxygen we breath.
Not having a pop, just genuinely interested and would like to know more.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
but do people give a shit about the MSG in their chinese takeaways, which is way worse, or the e numbers making our kids strange, or the unknown and horrific shit that goes on with genetically modifies food???
i guess the media has no real interest,(???) in these stories, as it's a multi billion pound shitstorm,
however, horsemeat..........

Or maybe it has something to do with one being a safe food flavour enhancer, one being a classification system for food additives and that the other being a perfectly safe method for enhancing the crops and livestock we grow and eat? No villains in that list.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Please forgive my ignorance, why is MSG so bad ?

it isnt, its got a bad rep due to some anacdotal effect reported originally in the US, thats never been proven to actually exist. i know people will swear blind they are effected, all i say its its not been proven in actual trails. the high use of ginger, soy, or other ingredients in chinese dont seem to have been considered. the compound is found in similar quantities in other foods, in particular some cheeses to no reported effect, nor is the effect reported in Japanese, Thai or Vietnamese food where MSG is also used too.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Can't imagine that tasting good !!!

Damn. I was hoping you'd pass on a hearty recommendation to me tbh. You never know 'til ya tried it innit. :wink:

ps If somebody eats a meaty Findus ready-meal, would there urine taste like Horse's piss?? :fishing:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Please forgive my ignorance, why is MSG so bad ? From the very little I know about it, it's a natural substance isn't it ? The way it's been explained to me is that's its no more of a chemical than the water we drink or the oxygen we breath.
Not having a pop, just genuinely interested and would like to know more.

Food additives is a interesting area once you start experimenting with it. We saw this lady speak and our lives were changed. I have a boy with Aspergers and ADHD and we saw an amazing difference after a week when we put him on an additive free diet. We also found that he is affected by Salicylates which is a natural chemical that is found in red fruit and veg. We also noticed a big difference in my daughter who used to sit on the toilet for ages and often, she now goes at normal intervals and for a normal length of time.

I was thrilled when i was in the UK by the amount of food you can buy without additives (it is much much harder in Australia). If anyone is interested I would conduct your own study and cut them out for two weeks and see if you see a difference. Especially if your kids have behaviour issues or asthma (sulphates (often in dried fruit) are known to cause asthma.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
it isnt, its got a bad rep due to some anacdotal effect reported originally in the US, thats never been proven to actually exist. i know people will swear blind they are effected, all i say its its not been proven in actual trails. the high use of ginger, soy, or other ingredients in chinese dont seem to have been considered. the compound is found in similar quantities in other foods, in particular some cheeses to no reported effect, nor is the effect reported in Japanese, Thai or Vietnamese food where MSG is also used too.

MSG is in far more foods than just asian foods, often under different names or disguised somehow. Do you have a link to these studies that show there is no effect from it?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
MSG is in far more foods than just asian foods, often under different names or disguised somehow. Do you have a link to these studies that show there is no effect from it?

Review of alleged reaction to monosodium glutamate an... [J Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.

I really do find it depressing that in the 21st century you can still find people so ready to believe in all this wishy washy fear induced crap, go back 300 years and you'd be hunting down witches. No doubt you're a big fan of holistic medicine as well?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
the irony is horse meat is probably much better, leaner, than the beef they typically use for processed lasagnes.

i dont think its fair to blame the supermarkets, they are just retailers. its the manufacturers that are putting the wrong stuff in. theres probably a paper trail to verify the source of meat, but if a manufacture's supplier is fiddling or cocking up that paperwork, its hardly the fault of the retailer.

Well only if the animal was bred for meat. If not there are all sort of drugs you DONT want in the food chain.

On the subject of supermarkets being just retailers, well sorry that laughable. They have almost complete control over suppliers. I wouldn't be at surprised if their usual behaivour of squeezing suppliers led to some looking for cheaper suppliers themselves.

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
Unusually for me I swerved the meat option in 1901 today to try and reduce the risk of any possible contamination !
I must say it was the correct choice.
The sea bass was superb.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
http://theconversation.edu.au/mondays-medical-myth-food-additives-cause-childhood-behavioural-disorders-6475

Interesting review of a number of studies on food additives here if anyone is interested. Headline is a little misleading to what is actually written in the article but it and the comments after give a good position IMHO.

One of the comments I found particularly interesting.

Geoff Davies

Retired scientist

This article and many of the comments are too glib.

When my son was young we took food colourings out of his diet and he calmed down. After any friend's birthday party he come home wired and would bounce off the walls for the next three days.

That is not just "being hyped", nor is it a sugar high.

It happened many times, it was a very clear association. I'm sorry, he's grown up now so we can't repeat the experiment for you. But a good researcher would look for such cases.

My daughter had less dramatic symptoms. Now 30-something she says she still gets hyper after eating jelly sweets, enough that her brother notices and diagnoses correctly.

The problem with this (and much) industry-sponsored research is that you only find things if you look in the right place in the right way. Otherwise it's the old "no evidence was found". Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

For example, my son's symptoms would not amount to ADHD, so not finding ADHD does not constitute an all-clear for food additives.

Our society would be better served by more critical and more searching investigations of such things than we usually get from industry types and, unfortunately, from the likes of Food Standards Australia New Zealand.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well only if the animal was bred for meat. If not there are all sort of drugs you DONT want in the food chain.

On the subject of supermarkets being just retailers, well sorry that laughable. They have almost complete control over suppliers.

first point, yes i do make a bit of an assumption there that the horse meat is farmed. on the second, i think theres an assumption that the super market would care much. they have a deal with a supplier. i heard today that the Fidus supply chain involved a French subsidary, a subcontractor, a Cypriot trader then a Luxemberg trader who'd sourced meat in Romania. its known that the previous incident was a group of supermarkets going through the same Irsh manufacturer that was sourceing their meat from Belgium. why would they concern themselves about their supplier's supplier, as long as everything met specification? the fact that it doesnt shows they havent followed up and paid much attention to the suppliy chain, shirley.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
health / safety issues aside, its a breach of trust - being told (and charged for) something that is supposedly beef when it isnt, is so wrong.

I've not knowingly had horsemeat before, and in other countries it seems to be popular (doctors even give it on prescription, to reduce fat in diets, in Italy??)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here