Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough do we show support at the next match?

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Hmmmm. A highly emotive day, no doubt. If those of you who consider it needs to be marked with some kind of tribute on Friday feel like starting a chant, then go right ahead. Nobody's stopping you. But equally, don't be surprised or angry if the majority don't join in. For me, it would feel a little bit like jumping on the bandwagon: the Hillsborough families have been waiting for a very long time for today, and I think it's the time to let them digest the ramifications, and be allowed a period of time to grieve or otherwise deal with it all in a manner they deem fit.

In fact, for my money, it couldn't be worse timed that we're playing Sheffield Wednesday, and I think there would be a very real prospect of any Hillsborough-related chanting being taken as something of a dig by many Wednesday fans, for whom it is, inevitably, a bit uncomfortable, (we all know it wouldn't be, but football fans don't always share the same perspective). If it were any other team- excluding Liverpool obviously- then it might just about be seen as a nice gesture, but I honestly feel it would not be appropriate against this particular opponent.

Absolutely spot on, couldn't agree with this more....

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
This thread has turned nasty as normal. Petty scoring -outscoring etc.Unless you know about the history about Hillsborough dont post-end of. sir albion you are allowed to spout bollox like the rest of us but do it on another thread. I do not think after reading 9 pages that we should mark the game on Friday but I will not abuse anyone who thinks differently. Any other thread I'll fecking argue my corner but not this time.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Stopped being a tight bugger and got a gold membership, anyone who wants to add me just PM me, I've only got FIFA 11 as my FIFA 12 is broken :(

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm going to keep my opinions to myself from now on. NSC isn't the place it used to be to express a opinion on.

You are a smashing bloke with a big heart mate so ignore all the baiting. You only mentioned it with the best of intentions but I have to agree that it is not the time or place to do anything on Friday. Leave it to the Liverpool fans.

Dandyman

In London village.
Thank f@ck some of the posters on this thread were not around in 1996/97 or that fans of other clubs did not have the same attitude to the Albion than some on here seem to have to 96 innocent football fans who suffered avoidable deaths but have subsequently had years of cowardly and callous lies directed at their memory.

Jul 13, 2012
No. I'll be there Friday and support the Albion only. Where does it end? How about the Juventus fans who died in Brussels, The fans who died in the Bradford fire. Jesus Christ, it was 25 years ago, we've all greifed but f*** any tribute on Friday, let Liverpool fans do it.

Are Chalton - Palace doing it Friday ? NO, Are any other team doing it at the weekend NO. I don't give a shit.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is very much an "If". I imagine that, under the circumstances, many of them would probably still have died, even given more prompt medical attention, as the brain only has about three minutes to survive without oxygen, before catastrophic consequences kick in. But the point that was being made is that care wasn't immediately at hand, and therefore the families will never know if there was even the slightest chance that their loved ones might have survived. And that that cut off point may have been imposed to avoid awkward questions being put to certain authority figures involved.

The brain has 7 minutes not 3.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think people have a right to be affected by something without being labelled " a soppy git " or being ridiculed and their age has absolutely f*ck all to do with it. Are people saying if you were not alive at the time you have no right to be upset ? Ok, anyone under 70 has no right to be upset at the Nazi's final solution against the Jews. It is an absurd point of view. The fact people give a fu*k should be applauded not slagged off. However I personally cannot see what can be done on Friday and what meaningful contribution it would have. Leave it to the Liverpool fans.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think that the fact that most football fans are now aware of the true facts, and that the lies have been exposed will be enough.
Liverpool fans have lived with this for many years and finally the truth has been revealed. Whether or not the truth will now lead to justice is of course another matter.
There is no need for Brighton or any other club's fans to show support just understanding the loss and the anger most LFC fans have been through over the last 23 years would be enough.
Remember all the People who died were only doing what we do every other Saturday.

Jul 13, 2012
I think that the fact that most football fans are now aware of the true facts, and that the lies have been exposed will be enough.
Liverpool fans have lived with this for many years and finally the truth has been revealed. Whether or not the truth will now lead to justice is of course another matter.
There is no need for Brighton or any other club's fans to show support just understanding the loss and the anger most LFC fans have been through over the last 23 years would be enough.
Remember all the People who died were only doing what we do every other Saturday.

Just like the Juventus fans who where doing and going to watch a game of football.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Just like the Juventus fans who where doing and going to watch a game of football.

whats that got to do with this?

I dont get why people bring this up, every club had issues with crowd trouble back then and still do today.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The 96 haven't got justice yet have they? All they have is disclosure that proves the injustice. What all football fans can do is support whatever pressure is brought to bear on the Government to ensure that those responsable for what happened are brought to book for what they have done...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
whats that got to do with this?

I dont get why people bring this up, every club had issues with crowd trouble back then and still do today.

Without wishing to open up a full blown argument, I believe that it was you, earlier in this thread who said that there was a connection with the Brighton v Sheff Weds game because the Hillsborough disaster was at Sheff Weds' ground. Well...likewise there's a link between Heysel and Hillsborough. If you now argue that the Heysel link isn't relevant then you should also accept that us playing Sheff Weds has no relevance either. You can't have it both ways.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Leave it to those that were involved.

Football as a whole grieved at the time this happened and what is left to resolve belongs to those it affected.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
f*** me, people will do anything to attach themselves to something in the news. Bet you were all over that Kony shit a few months back too.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
We nearly had our own Hillsborough one hot sunny day for promotion against Bristol Rovers in the Barry Lloyd years!

I always from that day in the North Stand hated the fuckin fences that were up!! Looking back to those days, fans were ultimately treated like animals!

:down:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
f*** me, people will do anything to attach themselves to something in the news. Bet you were all over that Kony shit a few months back too.

I do not have a clue what your talking about - Kony shit? I am not attaching myself to anything in the news - just posting my views while it is still allowed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here