Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough do we show support at the next match?

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Let's not get involved. It is going above and beyond football. It is about lying and corruption at the very top of government, the press and the police. I just feel for the families of the dead 23 years for this to come out I can't imagine how they must be feeling. It is a disgrace.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
If you don't know what that meant then it's not important. The first point is the relevant bit. It's got nothing to do with Brighton, the same way the Muamba incident didn't. It's just people trying to attach themselves to a current story in the footballing world, which I find odd.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We nearly had our own Hillsborough one hot sunny day for promotion against Bristol Rovers in the Barry Lloyd years!

I always from that day in the North Stand hated the fuckin fences that were up!! Looking back to those days, fans were ultimately treated like animals!

:down:

I was there. I thought it was going to die. The whole North Stand from the back was surging forward to get on the pitch but only half a gate was open. The crush 10 yards back was incredible. I could not breathe. Certainly very shallow breaths as the pressure was too much. After nearly 10 minutes I started to feel weak and at that time the gates were opened and we got out but I had to climb over the fence. It took me 10 minutes on the pitch recovering to be able to stand up. I was a strong 25 year old then and it was very close to being a disaster.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If you don't know what that meant then it's not important. The first point is the relevant bit. It's got nothing to do with Brighton, the same way the Muamba incident didn't. It's just people trying to attach themselves to a current story in the footballing world, which I find odd.

Fair enough, as I have said we should not mark the match in any way. But I still have a view of the shit that went on. NSC is my outlet thats all mate.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Without wishing to open up a full blown argument, I believe that it was you, earlier in this thread who said that there was a connection with the Brighton v Sheff Weds game because the Hillsborough disaster was at Sheff Weds' ground. Well...likewise there's a link between Heysel and Hillsborough. If you now argue that the Heysel link isn't relevant then you should also accept that us playing Sheff Weds has no relevance either. You can't have it both ways.

The difference is this has a huge amount to do with Sheff Wed not the team but a club it has, the report today was pretty damming and i wouldnt be surprised at all if there is a lawsuit heading there way.

But Heysel and Hillsborough are no way linked one was mindless thugs fighting the other was a complete tragedy that could have been avoided, and could have happened to any off us, it just so happened to be Liverpool that day. A year before it happened when West Ham played there, it happened when spurs played there also. It could have been any club, but as liverpool had history the finger is pointed there.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Then my comments weren't aimed at you. It was for those people who feel like this news should be marked by a display or significant moment against another side who have bugger all to do with it.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Why on earth would we do something to mark it? Christ what did people even have in mind?!

As others have said, I suspect it would look a like a snide dig at Wednesday anyway.

Incidentally, has everyone all of a sudden forgotten about the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund? Does anyone know if the charity has anything planned for the game on Friday to mark the 11 year anniversary? Nothing like a minute's silence but a presentation or something at half time maybe? I'd hope there will at least be something in the programme highlighting the fantastic work that the charity has done since it's birth. Maybe even a quote from the thread that Uncle Spielberg made the other day could be used. That is something very much worth marking; whilst Hillsborough was a tragedy, it does seem like a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon. It has nothing to do with us, let it go.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
could have been any club, but as liverpool had history the finger is pointed there.

The finger was pointed? Well, that's one way of describing it. I don't think I'm going to continue debating this with you if that's okay. I don't see any point to it.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I was there. I thought it was going to die. The whole North Stand from the back was surging forward to get on the pitch but only half a gate was open. The crush 10 yards back was incredible. I could not breathe. Certainly very shallow breaths as the pressure was too much. After nearly 10 minutes I started to feel weak and at that time the gates were opened and we got out but I had to climb over the fence. It took me 10 minutes on the pitch recovering to be able to stand up. I was a strong 25 year old then and it was very close to being a disaster.

Pretty much the same here, I was surged right from the middle steps, face against the fence, can picture even today the feeling of fear as people got over the fence that was designed to keep us in and trying to get help for those still stuck!

In a sadistic way, it took a Hillsborough to happen to create change for the better!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

*double post"

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
It's very sad but I cannot believe that ITV News has had to cut the amount of time devoted to William and Kate's trip to the Far East on the 10pm show just because of this story.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This entire scandal shows the hatred and contempt the Government of the day and Police had for all football fans and football.
I remember the Gov't, Moynihan I think, and people like Ken Bates thinking of all football fans as low lives.

This amazing bunch of current Merseyside MP's have shown determination & compassion, in bringing this to a head now. They've restored faith in the UK system, in complete contrast to the selfish corruption that ruled the day in South Yorkshire at that time.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why on earth would we do something to mark it? Christ what did people even have in mind?!

As others have said, I suspect it would look a like a snide dig at Wednesday anyway.

Incidentally, has everyone all of a sudden forgotten about the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund? Does anyone know if the charity has anything planned for the game on Friday to mark the 11 year anniversary? Nothing like a minute's silence but a presentation or something at half time maybe? I'd hope there will at least be something in the programme highlighting the fantastic work that the charity has done since it's birth. Maybe even a quote from the thread that Uncle Spielberg made the other day could be used. That is something very much worth marking; whilst Hillsborough was a tragedy, it does seem like a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon. It has nothing to do with us, let it go.

To be fair the REMF is being promoted as much as is possible I hope. The club have done loads in the past. I am sure they will do something big for the mini bus unveiling.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pretty much the same here, I was surged right from the middle steps, face against the fence, can picture even today the feeling of fear as people got over the fence that was designed to keep us in and trying to get help for those still stuck!

In a sadistic way, it took a Hillsborough to happen to create change for the better!

It would only have taken one kid to fall down and the whole stand would have fallen over each other. Very scary time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here